Isn't ben Laden worth 18 new F/16-D fighters?

xrocket

It occurs to me that our government in it's infinite wisdom recently rewarded Pakistan with eighteen top of the line new F/16-D fighters with all the bells and whistles to be delivered in 2010.

We can't go into the NW territories of Pakistan and by Musharraf's own acknowledgment neither will they to remove ben Laden and his reconstituting forces. "It might make too many people mad." [insert sarcasm please]

So, what do you think 18 F/16 are worth? I would say about 100 times more than the $50 mill on his head. Seems, we ought to sharpen our deal to include ben Laden. Actually, it should have been part of the original deal.

That's the way things work in the middle east.

What say you?

Last edited:

applesanity

or maybe it's to keep musharref's regime in power, instead of some kooky extremist heaven-bent on killing infidels and zionists.

Musharraf is in a shakey situation. He is always ten seconds from civil war if he makes the wrong move and despite his intensive weeding-out process, I bet a large percentage of his generals are constantly waiting for an opportunity to grab for power.

I bet our best chance of getting bin laden is a Pakistani airstrike. We can't get caught inside of Pakistan in any way or life will get a lot harder for our friends. Let them have the aircraft... maybe they will use them.

Redworm

maybe I'm reading some sort of liberal brainwashing history books but I coulda sworn part of the problem in that area is that we keep supplying weapons to people that later attack us :confused:

SpectreBlofeld

Redworm,

Yep...

I was watching the James Bond movie "The Living Daylights" the other day. A substantial portion of the action takes place in Afghanistan, where Bond befriends a Western-educated Taliban-esque "Freedom Fighter" who is leading resistance against the Soviets. Bin Laden to a T...

We keep assuming our enemies' enemies are our friends, and act surprised when they turn on us when their battle is over.

Redworm

We keep assuming our enemies' enemies are our friends, and act surprised when they turn on us when their battle is over.
Not only that but if Ole Pervey loses control of his government to Taliban evildoers well guess what...we just gave the Taliban 18 Falcons. :lol: Oh brilliant idea. Yeah, this won't come back to bite us in the ass.

And people bitch about Obama's lack of experience in foreign policy? This is the kind of idiocy decades of experience gets you. This administration is too stupid to be evil.

Unregistered

I thought our mission in Iraq (every-changing as it may be) was to create democracy. Musharraf is a military dictator who overthrew a supposedly democratically elected government.

NukemJim

So, what do you think 18 F/16 are worth? I would say about 100 times more than the $50 mill on his head

Google is your friend.

Unit cost: F-16A/B , $14.6 million (fiscal 98 constant dollars); F-16C/D,$18.8 million (fiscal 98 constant dollars)

From http://www.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet.asp?fsID=103

18 x $20 million (allowing for inflation and easier math:) ) = $360 million

100 X $50 milllion = $5 billion = $5,000 million

If you have a different source/price I'd be interested.

NukemJim

Fremmer

And people bitch about Obama's lack of experience in foreign policy?

Yeah, Obama's gonna chage in there and invade Pakistan, and talk about it before he does it. He's ready to occupy Pakistan. That sounds great to the Pakistani's. Who needs experience?!? :rolleyes:

But he won't use nukes, so that should placate MoveOn.org. :D

xrocket

Nuke ... thank you for the in-depth fiscal research illustrating the actual cost to benefit ratio within the context of a hypothetical theorem.

The 18 fighter cost X 100 was a number chosen just to make a point.

Good shooting.

Fremmer

the in-depth fiscal research illustrating the actual cost to benefit ratio

There's the political factor involving our ally in the war on terror that you might want to consider, because it renders the alleged cost/benefit ratio that you're refering to meaningless, if one even accepts that the separate monetary figures ought to be used to calculate a purported cost/benefit ratio in the first place.

KenpoProfessor

I think what some of you are forgetting is, these are not top notch F-16's. Hell, we didn't even sell those to the Israelis. These are stock F-16's with bottom of the line electronics that we know we can beat with the F-22. In fact, an F-22 can knock 5 F-15's outta the air with the F-15 pilots also being F-22 pilots, and they can't stop 'em from getting them. Kinda like selling your neighbor a knife and then he decides to use it on you and you've got the gun LOL.

Bottom line, we're only selling them what we know we can take out in a quick burst, but if it makes them feel good, we'll take their money.

BTW, I'm ex USAF and was a jet mechanic for 11 years.

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

Last edited:

Glenn E. Meyer

What's an F23? I thought that was the Northrop plane that wasn't adopted.
Our new planes are the F-22 and the F-35.

Interesting how we kiss the butt of a country that has it's intelligence service in bed with the killer of Americans. That's OK because some of us have to worship George Bush.

DonR101395

It occurs to me that our government in it's infinite wisdom recently rewarded Pakistan with eighteen top of the line new F/16-D fighters with all the bells and whistles to be delivered in 2010.

It's a two part answer. Part 1 is it's to compensate them for the F16s they bought and then got held up during the arms embargo against them.
Part 2, They have been looking at buying Chinese fighters, so it's a play to try to keep them from getting further in bed with the Chinese.

We can't go into the NW territories of Pakistan and by Musharraf's own acknowledgment neither will they to remove ben Laden and his reconstituting forces. "It might make too many people mad." [insert sarcasm please]

They don't go into the NWFP unless they absolutely have no other choice. They have severe issues with getting troops in and providing support for those troops once they are there. Think the wild west post civil war with AK47s, Dishkas, 20mm, RPGs, suicide bombers. As bad as Musharraf is, he is the only thing holding the country together. It's a powder keg that will explode as soon as he is out of power.

So, what do you think 18 F/16 are worth? I would say about 100 times more than the $50 mill on his head. Seems, we ought to sharpen our deal to include ben Laden. Actually, it should have been part of the original deal.

As was already pointed out, 18x$20 million. They also won't be outfitted with everything shiny that's available. There are many things that are not releasable outside the U.S., but what they get will definitely be better than anything they have.

That's the way things work in the middle east.

Pakistan isn't in the Middle East. It's in South Central Asia. Similar, but not to be confused with South Central Los Angeles.

What say you?
Have a nice day.