Is your most expensive firearm your favorite firearm?

Is your most expensive firearm your favorite firearm?

• Yes

Votes: 16 16.0%
  • No

Votes: 83 83.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

riggins_83

The difference in cost between firearms, even two that may look very similar to the untrained eye, can be quite significant. The question then becomes "Is your most expensive firearm your favorite (warm and fuzzy)?"

Kennydale

I have three Glocks G17 gen 4, G19 gen 4 & G26 gen 3. My G17 was actually $10 cheaper than the G19 and the G17 is MY BABY!!!!!

Evan Thomas

Definitely not. My favorite firearm, in the warm-and-fuzzy department, is the Winchester Defender I inherited a few years ago after a very good friend died from complications of metastatic breast cancer. It's not valuable, and it didn't cost me anything, but it reminds me of good times with someone I cared about a lot.

O4L

Nope, not even close. If I remember correctly I gave $150 for a new Glenfield 30-30 when I was fifteen. It was my first new gun purchase and still my favorite.

I've had to sell my gun collections a few times to raise cash, but that one will never sell.

FrankenMauser

Most that qualify as a favorite in some way are the least valuable items that I own.

The most expensive revolver - top 5 probably, but not the most favorite.

The most expensive rifle - in the top 10, but only a favorite under the right circumstances.

Most expensive handgun - that's a tricky subject, due to some of the items being very unusual but not necessarily desirable (like the hand-made, 1920s/1930s Chinese pistol). But, in the end, I think I'd still end up with one of the cheaper options as a favorite (an old, ratty Buckmark).

Most expensive shotgun - another tricky one, since my favorite shotgun is actually a custom .444 Marlin lever action with home-brew shot shells. That rifle's value is significantly higher than the real shotguns; but it is still a rifle at the end of the day. (And I have had to reduce my use of said rifle as a shotgun, because scrubbing plastic wad / shot cup residue out of the bore is a pain in the butt.)

Radny97

I think it's mostly coincidence and I don't have a lot of expensive firearms, but my most expensive does happen to be my favorite (just barely).

Rangerrich99

I paid just $200 for my father's 1911 when I turned 21, and although it's not my most accurate shooter, it definitely has to be the one that has given me the most grins over the last 30+ years.

mikejonestkd

My favorites are probably my least expensive ones- they get shot a whole lot more than their pricey safe mates.

For example- I have a well loved buckmark that is easily my cheapest handgun, and it goes with me on every range trip.

My Annie 1710D HB meistergrade is a beautiful work of art, but it only gets to see the light of day occasionally.

Eazyeach

I have some nice guns. A Python and a .22 diamondback. Smith 27-2 nickle. Smith k22 masterpiece. Couple of my 1911s are valuable. Got a nice bravo company AR. But I gotta say my $350 S&W MP 15/22 has to be my favorite.

I don't really have a backstop to shoot my full grown AR 15s. But I can go out on the back porch and shoot that .22 all day. It's a real ammo waster.

Ruger 10-22 is right there with it for pure enjoyment. Something about tin cans and a .22 LR

Old Stony

My most expensive or favorite firearms are not necessarily even mine...sound a little confusing? I have quite a few firearms and I have a really good friend that does also. When one of us wants something the other one has, we just send them back and forth. He is welcome to anything I have at my house and he would surely send me anything I would want from his house.
This might seem strange to some folks, but neither of us is hurting for firearms and "Real Good" friends just don't come along every day.
If we were to combine our collections we could probably come up with around 300 firearms I would guess....so finding a favorite?

Crankylove

Most of my favorites are firearms that are no longer in production. So, do they then become just old, used guns with little value, or valuable collectables since they are no longer available?

They have a lot of value to me, but may not be worth much in monetary terms.

One of my all time favorites isn't even mine, but belongs to Frankenmauser. A 16" barrel, .22 pump action Rossi that we grew up shooting in the '80's-'90's. Came into the family used, in the late '70's-very early '80's, and couldn't have been more than a $75 gun. I couldn't even guess how many tens of thousands of rounds my family has put through that little gun, how many shooting trips it's seen. Everybody in the family wants it's, we're not really sure what kind of shenanigans Frank had to do to end up with it, but, no matter what the offer, he won't sell.............so I guess that one is priceless?

FrankenMauser

One of my all time favorites isn't even mine, but belongs to Frankenmauser. A 16" barrel, .22 pump action Rossi that we grew up shooting in the '80's-'90's. Came into the family used, in the late '70's-very early '80's, and couldn't have been more than a $75 gun. I couldn't even guess how many tens of thousands of rounds my family has put through that little gun, how many shooting trips it's seen. Everybody in the family wants it's, we're not really sure what kind of shenanigans Frank had to do to end up with it, but, no matter what the offer, he won't sell.............so I guess that one is priceless?

No shenanigans.
Just the right timing and approach to discussing making an even trade for the other Rossi. ;)

Valuable? Not really.

Priceless? Absolutely.

...And exactly what I had in mind as my favorite rifle, while reading and replying to this thread.

About two years ago, I had to tear it down to fix the front magazine ring that was always trying to fall off. In the process, I decided to scrub 30+ years of dust, dirt, wax, hair, lint, oil, and animal parts out of the cracks and crevices normally inaccessible. That was a mistake. Now the whole thing is loose and trying to fall apart. (Which is one of the reasons why it rarely comes out to play now.)
But I still love it.
I'll massage a few parts to get them snug again, and it'll be good for another generation of shooters.

madmo44mag

I do love my Gold Cup Colt 45 acp's but as for pistols my old 4 digit Ruger 3 screw 357 mag is my favorite pistol.
As for rifles it would be my M1 30 carbine over any of my other rifles.

Skans

I voted "yes". I only have one full-auto firearm, my AC556. And, I love full-auto, so it is one of my favorites, if not my favorite.

The truth is I have many firearms that I really, really like. Every time I go to a gun show, I consider "which one should I take to sell or trade for something better....?" Every one that I have right now, I bought for a reason and haven't decided to use as trading fodder. I have used some guns in the past as trading fodder, but now about 90% of my guns are fairly unique.

kraigwy

I have several firearms worth thousands. My favorite isn't worth the cost of gas to haul it to the dump.

Its an unknown make single barreled 16 gage. Some one stuck it in the mud before firing so a couple inches was cut off the muzzle. Its not no sights of any sort.

Shot my first deer with it when I was about 10-11. Had to walk a mile to a little country store picking up pop bottles to come up with $.25 for the three shells I used. It was worn out then. The ejectors didn't work, you had to pr the hulls out with a pocket knife.

It belonged to my grandfather. Don't know where he got it. He fed his large family with it during the depression at a time he lived on a little farm in central Arkansas that produced rocks more then anything else.

He used the gun in a part time job, hauling prisoners fom Perryville to Little Rock by wagon. He lived 11 miles east of Perryville, 34 miles west of Little Rock. He would head to Perryville to pick up the prisoner and returned home for a nap before taking the trip to LR.

One story was he was exceptionally tired so he set the bandit in a chair, told my grandmother (who stood 5'2" and weighted about 90 Lbs.) Gave her the shotgun and told her to shoot him if he got out of the chair. My grandfather heard the bandit ask "You wouldn't really shoot me would you"? Granny just said. "Get up and see". He didn't test her.

In the early to mid 60s my parents were divorced. I lived with my father in Portland, my mother lived in Arkansas. During the summer I'd ride my motorcycle to Portland to visit her. I was about 17 on one trip and asked about the shotgun. Mother told me my aunt had it.

I told my aunt I wanted the gun. She said she needed if for protection. Auntie you don't have any shells for it. She said it could scare bandits. I told her she would be better off with a revolver. I told her I'd buy her a brand new revolver and trade for the shotgun.

She agreed so I went to the hardware store and paid $29 for a 2 in. pot medal RG. (was 17 at the time, cant do that now) I didn't know much about guns but I knew I wouldn't have the guts to shoot that revolver, figuring the sucker would blow up. I didn't get her any ammo, I was afraid she would try it.

Anyway I made trade, I have the gun. It isn't safe to shoot. We didn't know such things back then, but I believe the gun was made for BP only.

About 10 years ago, I was going to take my granddaughter out turkey hunting. I thought it would be nice if she could shoot it with my grandfathers gun. I bought a box of 16 ga shells. Shot one to see if the gun still worked, decided that gun had fired its last shell and found her something else for her first turkey.

Money has nothing to do with the value of firearms.

guns%20052.jpg