Is your gun more accurate after............

clayking

the first few rounds are fired. Maybe it's just me, but the first few rounds that I fire out of every handgun that I own aren't very accurate. Then they seem to fall in and group well to point of aim. Is a warmed up barrel more accurate?..........................ck

GreyFox

i agree with its me warming up.... but I would like to see it tested..... maybe you should put your fire arm in a rest and shoot it cold, then warm her up and see if you see any difference.... Love to see what the rest of the community says

Kreyzhorse

I have to warm up first and really concentrate on a smooth, steady trigger pull. Sadly, my handgun skills aren't what they used to be and I don't shoot nearly enough. My Springfield TRP is way more accurate than I'll ever be.

fastbolt

While I can't speak to any phenomena involved when it comes to comparing a cold and warm barrel ...

I can offer an observation based upon my experience on the firing line.

What you describe isn't an uncommon sight to witness when watching many LE & CCW folks fire their first few rounds during a course of fire.

Then the shooters seem to 'warm up', settle down to business and demonstrate better accuracy.

I remember reaching the point in my training when my first 1-2 shots were finally consistently accurate (fired 'cold', first thing during a range session or qualification course of fire). Turning point. Confidence booster, too.

Reminded me in a way of when I was a young martial artist and my first punch or kick might be a bit wild and less controlled than I would desire. Further training and skills development eventually corrected that problem, too.

Working to overcome the 'startle reflex' (anticipating the felt recoil and 'fighting it' before it's occurred, for example) and settling down to demonstrate a good, consistent initial grip and trigger control seem to be common issues for many folks who either don't get in much consistent training/practice, or don't have the opportunity to receive the assistance of an instructor to resolve some bad habits (or simply improve their skills).

Shooting is a perishable skill.

NORTEXED

Long range rifle competitors always fire a "Fouling shot" before beginning a match. I have heard it is to remove oil residue and settle the barel to the condition it will be in EXACTLY for all remaining shots. You would have to be realllllly good with a pistol for that much variance to matter though.

Jayhawkhuntclub

I've found that when rifle shooting, the first group after a cleaning is generally dramatically bigger than subsequent groups. I tracked it to make sure it wasn't my imagination. It was pretty dramatic. I don't know if this would apply to short guns.

Stevie-Ray

My Ultra CDP II is most accurate when clean and lubed, and I'm most accurate when fresh. Here's the first 8 shots of a range session. Rotated carry 230 gr Hydra-Shoks from the draw, 7 yds.

rotatecarry.jpg