Is This True?

Amin Parker

I should know better than to ask this question but my curiosity is killing me. I would never try it but...anyways,

I met this guy that had a 1911 in 38 Super for sale. I told him that i am busy building a 9mm race gun so i would not buy it, but if the price is right, i will switch barrels, extracter, ejector and convert it to 9mm. This could have worked out a heck of a lot cheaper than building one from scratch.

This guy then tells me that he shoots 9mm para out of it all the time. He also said he has fired over 500 9mm para with no problems and accuracy was good.

As a pretty anal gun guy, this freaked me out and a was literally taken aback. I would never buy this gun. EVER.

My curiosity however is killing me. Do you guys think a 38 Super will function properly, reliably and accurately with 9mmPara ammo? Can this be true?

I will never try it but im so curious. Opinions please.

mavracer

The Super is a strait wall case and the 9mm is tapered. Given a generous enough chamber it's possibble, but it'd be real haard on super brass.

egor20

Amin

I've shot a few .38 supers before, I would not be willing to try it. You already have one Boo Boo, don't try a second one.

Last edited:

Amin Parker

Hey Egor. How you doin bro?

Trust me, i wont go near that gun. I was just curious to find out if it is in fact possible.

Bill DeShivs

It's possible, as the extractor will hold the 9mm to the breech face. It's not recommended. And NEVER try it without feeding the round from a magazine! The 1911 firing pin is long enough to fire 9mm with extreme excessive headspace.

Chris_B

So this guy walks into a bar and says "I've ruined a Colt Super 38", and the sad part was, it wasn't a joke?

Billy Shears

Seems like a crazy idea, but I've heard similar recently.

A guy in one of our local gun stores told me that he routinely fires .40 S&W ammo out of his 10mm Glock without changing barrels or anything. He says it's no different than shooting a .38 Special out of a handgun chambered for .357 Magnum.

I dunno. But I'm not going to be the one to test the idea.

lee n. field

This guy then tells me that he shoots 9mm para out of it all the time. He also said he has fired over 500 9mm para with no problems and accuracy was good.

Headspacing on the extractor, like one of those old-timey Astras?