Is this sound advice for newbies?

PATH

When first time handgun buyers come into the store I recommend they buy a .357 revolver with at least a 3 or 4 inch barrel. I believe it is easier to learn ones craft with a revolver. The .357 also allows one to practice with .38. The .357 will handle .38, +P,
+P+, as well as .357 making it very versatile. A revolver is far more forgiving than an automatic when it comes to problems.

It has been intimated to me that maybe I should not give this advice. I disagree. What do you folks think? Am I out of line doing this?

Please note that I specifically tell folks that this is my "OPINION" !

ROADKILLGOURMET

I totally agree with you. In our shooting club; if a novice shooter wants a handgun for informal shooting and possible defense we recommend the same, if they want it for formal ("olympic") target shooting we recommend a .22 auto.
Brgds, A

P

PreserveFreedom

I always recommend a 357 for a beginner. The only time I tell them to get a 38 instead of a 357 is when they have an obvious recoil problem like bad arthritis. As for barrel length, a lot has to do with how they plan on using it. If it's for concealed carry, I recommend 3" or less. If it's a house gun, I recommend 3" - 6". Hunting I would recommend 4" to 8" (depending on laws of where they want to handgun hunt).

hube1236

When I bought my first, I wanted an automatic. The guy behind the counter at the place I should have bought tried to sell a 357 revolver. I went someplace else and bought my auto and loved it. Later on, I aquired the revolver, and I liked (not loved it). I love it now, but I think that the suggestion is fine, demand because it is the only way to learn is wrong if it goes against their preconceptions totally.

Hal

Am I out of line doing this?
Maybe. It depends on who's telling you not to do it. While I agree 100% with your opinion, if it's your boss that's doing the telling, there may be other reasons. hube1236 pretty much gave the best answer. If the customer is determined to buy a semi auto, then it could be in everybody's best interest for you to sell him/her one. I mean if someone is bound and determined to buy a semi auto, then they're going to buy it somewhere. It may as well be from you right? From your side of it, a first time buyer isn't going to know a Lorcin from a Wilson, so the guy down the street can really do us all a disfavor by selling him/her a POS just to turn a quick buck. Just by your asking about it here in the forum, says something about your character and wanting to do right by the customer. Sell em what they want, otherwise someone else is going to. Trust me, that someone else is going to have no problem selling them a real piece of junk. All most first time buyers are going to see is:
a.) What TV and Hollywood use.
b.) $$$ signs.
To them a 9mm Beretta or Glock is the same thing as a POS "jammamatic" 9mm. I had this happen with a co worker. He wanted my reccomendation on what gun to buy (He wanted a 10mm). I kinda blew him off cause he's kinda goofy, and I didn't think he was serious. I told him the best buy going at the time was a 10mm S&W revolver at a local shop, and he should go down and make an offer on it. Next thing I know, he's bragging about the 10mm Parker he bought! What a piece of crap! *sigh* I know. I didn't sell it to him, but I do feel bad that instead of another happy shooter , he's pretty soured on shooting in general.

Jim V

If the customer, newbie asked me to recommend a first handgun, I'd ask them about their shooting experiences and what they wanted it for, plinking, defense, target shooting etc. While the .38/.357 revolver might be the best suggestion in a goodly number of cases, it is not the answer for everyone.

Do you tell some woman that is in need of a "life preserver" because of an abusive husband that she should buy a .357 revolver when all she can afford is a used Iver Johnson in .38 S&W?

FWIW YMMV VWP NVIAS NWEI CCBS LS/MFT

Calamity Jane

I think the .357 w/3-4" barrel is a great recommendation - gotta say, I had one of 'em for my first gun - and guess what? I have a different one than I had then (Taurus Tracker), but it's still my favorite gun. :)

Dave R

Yes, its good advice. Probably the safest recommendation.

Its not what I did, but it is what I would do if I could do it over again.

I started off intending to carry concealed. Bought a .380 auto because it was inexpensive and easy to conceal. Turned out real well for me, but I was an experienced shooter when I got it. That gun is still among my favorite plinkers. My kids like to shoot it, too.

But a nice SP-101 or Model 60 would probably have been a better choice.

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Sound's like good advice to me,

cause somewhere in everyone's "gun life" they
will want a quality .357 magnum.:D So, why not
start from "jump street" to acquire and master
the skills of handguning; and the way to do
that is with a good revolver.:) I see nothing
wrong with your opinion.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

C.R.Sam

I agree with Path. Should be carefull to express it clearly as opinion based on experience and not be overbearing. Bestest is when you can work with a newbie using as many types and makes as possible......then they usually gravitate toward a medium length wheelgun anyway.

But if it is a matter tween no gun at all and a beater cause of finances......then functional beater in hand beats any gun that couldn't be bought.

Sam....Raven in hand beats two Wilsons in the case.

DeputyVaughn

I give the same advise when I'm asked by a newcomer to shooting. I also talk to them about self defense shooting and how adrenaline rush affects motor skills. Again this is given as my opinion based on the facts. It usually works. If I'm with them at my home I generally show them mine and my wife's revolvers (house and carry guns) and also show them my semi-autos telling them the pro's and con's of each. Then I remind them I've been "into shooting" for several years and they shouldn't expect to have as many guns as me or shoot like me for a while.

Scott A. Vaughn

CastleBravo

It is generally a reasonable suggestion, but not always the best answer for a particular person. The best way to approach the problem is for them to shoot several different types of firearm to see what best suits them. For alot of people, a short-barreld double-action revolver is much more difficult to shoot well than a semi-auto of comparable caliber and size.

maxinquaye

Another thing to consider is age....

I was 24 when I bought my first pistol, and the guy recommended the same thing - an *&* .357 revo. Although the arguments made sense, I wanted an automatic, so I got a Glock 27 instead. Revolvers were too damn old fashoned. Did not buy a revolver until my 7th or 8th gun. As others have said, give the option, but make sure it remains clearly an option! I did end up going back to the same shop, but when the guy who recommended the revo was not there - did not want him to see me disregard his advice...

David Scott

For a newbie, or someone who wants a "self-defense appliance" and is not planning to get deep into handgunning, a DA revolver is probably the best choice, and aside from concealment issues, a 3 or 4 inch .357 is practically the default. Why?

Consistent trigger pull.
Easy to operate.
Don't need to disassemble to clean it.
You can get ammo anywhere, and it's cheap.

Coronach

I also agree. If the guy is bound and determined to have a semi, well, he's the customer- by definition he's right. But if he was a true newbie, and open to suggestions, I'd suggest precisely what you have suggested.

They're simple, powerful, flexible, economical, classic, elegant, durable, and reliable. If he's using it for a defensive weapon it will serve admirably. If he's using it for plinking, it will do there as well. If he never 'gets into' guns, he will still have a reliable and powerful defensive arm that is simple to operate. He could even sell it and not take a bath on the deal. If he does 'get into' guns, he will already have a 'keeper' that will fill one niche in his collection.

Mike

James K

Member In Memoriam
I no longer work in a gun store, but once in a while find myself in one (surprise!), and things have not changed. There are several types of customers.

The first type wants "a gun" and preferably the cheapest. Make, features, auto or revolver, make no difference.

The second is the person who often posts on here, who reads the gunzines and wants the biggest magazine, most power, biggest, "baddest" handgun going.

Yet another is the self-educated, Consumer Reports type who goes on and on about who recommends what and how can we possibly contradict Joe Writer, who says, blah blah.

Then there is the "juvie" though not so much since dealers won't let anyone under 21 even touch a handgun. But "juvies" come in all ages. These guys are the "gee whiz" folks, who rant on and on about who had what in which movie, and how if they had this or that people would respect them, and blah, blah. They just want to fondle real guns; they don't buy.

Of course none of the above knows a darn thing about guns unless it came out of a gunzine.

It takes all kinds. I once had a discussion with a guy who runs a bar. He was bemoaning the characters he gets; I told him that he was lucky. No one comes into a bar, orders six different kinds of beer, pops the tops and then says, "Thanks, I was just looking" and walks out.

Jim

Principles of marksmanship are the same regardless if it is a revolver or semiauto or single shot. However, dexterity & the strength of an individual may make a revolver the better choice.

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Very well stated Jim Keenan, my friend-

cause I'm in my favorite shops quite frequently, and I know
exactly what you are talking about. Often times a salesman's
time is taken up by a "window shopper"; resulting in a delay
for a perspective buyer.

I don't let myself get in a hurry, when shopping for a new
gun; but I pay attention to detail, including all my surroundings.
In some instances, I've seen grandmother's inspecting semi-auto's; as if they were going to be a "gun toting granny'?
Then there is always a "gangbanger" looking for a Tec-9.

But, oh how I enjoy the conversations with the common
yet avid fan of fine firearms. There's been many happy hour
gone by, discussing firearms history and hertiage.:D:)

Respectfully,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.