Is this safe with a Colt Gov't 380

RH Factor

Is it safe to carry a Colt Gov't 380 "80 series" in my pocket with a round in the chamber but the hammer down. Sometimes I need to run down to the store and a holster is not available or would be too visable with what I'm wearing....can I just put the hammer down with a round in the tube and the safety on and be "safe" to carry this way. I just don't feel safe putting it in my pocket "cocked and locked".
Thanks for the help.

carebear

This isn't gospel, but in playing with my Pocketlite just now, it has a firing pin block so it shouldn't be able to inertia fire. Plus you can have it on the "half-cock" notch, on safe, as well. You will have to take it off safe to cock it again, that's a lot of steps.

I dislike "decocking" single actions cause you are basically "firing" it while controlling the hammer fall. That's a chance to slip and have a ND.

But, if you're comfortable with decocking a loaded single action AND trying to cock such a little thing in a hurry under stress it seems mechanically safe. Anyone more knowledgeable want to chime in?

Oh, check for the firing pin block, might be a "series 80" kinda thing.

blades67

Try carrying you Colt around the house, unloaded and cocked and locked, in your pocket for a couple of hours. Then you will see that the safety won't fall into the "fire" position and the sear won't release all at the same time unless it is in disrepair. If the safety won't stay in the "safe"position by itself then the gun isn't safe to carry or use untill it has been repaired.

That said, it is fine to carry with the hammer down on a loaded chamber.

AK103K

That pistol will ride around in your pocket without a round in it for the next 20 years and never go off. Just try to put a round in the chamber and see what happens! :)

johnwill

Personally, I'd invest in a pocket holster and carry it C&L. I carry my Mustang Pocketlite C&L in a pocket holster all the time, it covers the safety and trigger, and I feel quite safe with it. It also keeps the gun positioned properly if I ever do need it. If you can grab the gun, you can pick up a pocket holster next to it.

lonegunman

I dont think Condition 2 is any faster to get into action than Condition 3.

It is hard to cock a semi auto without having to adjust your grip before you can fire. It aint like a SAA that was designed to be cocked easily and ergonomically.

I think condition 2 is plenty safe, though. I just dont think there is a benefit to it over condition 3.