Is this possible/feasible? Marlin Camp 45 conversion to take Ruger mags.

rantingredneck

I've got several .45ACP Ruger semiauto handguns. They all take the same magazine. Basically a 1911 magazine body and follower with a differently positioned mag catch cutout.

Would it be possible or feasible to modify a Marlin Camp .45 to take the Ruger magazine over the standard 1911 magazine?

Theoretically it should be just a matter of modifying the magazine catch on the camp carbine, but I've never even held one in my hand to know what it even looks like.

I'm not really into 1911's and Ruger was shortsighted enough to never offer their PC series carbines in .45 ACP so this is a thought I had earlier today to get the carbine/pistol same magazine/ammo setup that would fit my needs.

Thoughts?

bigghoss

I very much doubt the hassel of that conversion would offset the minor inconvenience of having two different, yer readily availible, mags. I wish ruger had offered their carbine in a .45. I wish anyone else would offer a .45 carbine for that matter. there is a severe lack of them on the market:mad:

there is the remote possibility you could cut a different notch in your ruger mags to get them to work in the carbine but they probably would not be very reliable

Last edited:

Tom2

I know that Ruger made a carbine in 9MM and 40 cal for police and civilian use, did they ever make one in .45? If both styles of mags were pretty close in size shape and feed angle, it might be possible to convert but it would be a custom job and if someone quoted you the price, you might change your mind. But asking don't cost anything I guess. As for who to ask, I haven't a clue. I am suprised that Marlin did not offer the option of more than one brand of mag setup except that that would entail extra inventory of guns and parts and they probably figured that it was not worth it for the demand in the market. IF they thought they were gonna get LE sales, like the Ruger was aimed at, they might have offered options for Sig mags, Glock mags, etc. etc. But I suppose they would have to debug the setup for each design.

rantingredneck

Ruger did not make their carbine in .45. Unfortunately.

I guess I should clarify my question.

The Ruger .45ACP magazines use the same magazine bodies as 1911's, with the only difference being the position of the magazine catch cutout.

Theoretically then it should only be a matter of modifying the mag catch on the Marlin. Feed geometry and such should be the same given that the Ruger's mags are basically slightly modified 1911 mags.

rjrivero

Pictures of the Magazine from the Ruger and the 1911 side by side may help figure this out for you.

I love the Marlin Camp 45. It's a hoot to shoot.