Is this M14 stock broken?

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
I just received a used M14 fiberglass stock. When I examined it, I found that the rear sling swivel has some freedom of motion from side to side, perhaps 5-6 degrees in all. Is that normal or should I get the sling swivel fixed in place?

Rhino48

Check the bottom buttplate screw for tightness, it threads through the sling loop (you probably already know that.)

You could put some acra-glas on it and fix it into the position you want.

Kaylee

relatively normal.. try tightening the bottom screw on the buttplate -- that's what holds it on. You can always wrap the tab the swivel is mounted on to reduce play as well.

You'll learn this assembly intimately when you repaint your stock. :D

Other things of note --

1 -- you may consider reversing the direction of the swivel to reduce the chances of it being caught in the brush.

2 -- take care that you don't lose your oprod retaining rod pin thingie in the USGI stock.. my ol' Polytech missed the stock support on the forward part of the receiver, and the retaining pin worked lose under firing, allowing the oprod guide to launch into the magwell. Bad juju. Make sure fixed.

-K

Kaylee

On a related note...

I was thinking of trying to find an old M1 buttplate, and replacing my stock M14 plate with it... then filling in the rest of the cutout with epoxy or som'n.

Seems to me that the extra folding bit ain't necessary on a semi-auto rifle, it'd be nice to have direct access to the buttstock pocket without the extra step, and perhaps most importantly... it won't snag hair as easily. :p

anyone with both rifles know if the holes line up and the buttplates interchange?

-K

Steve Smith

Kaylee, it took me a second to remember you have long hair...on your head.

I was trying to get the long underarm hair thought out of my head.

"Seems to me that the extra folding bit ain't necessary on a semi-auto rifle, it'd be nice to have direct access to the buttstock pocket without the extra step, and perhaps most importantly... it won't snag hair as easily. "

Kaylee

Steve..what an... ugh. Thanks for the image. ick.

No, I promise I don't have European grooming habits. :p

-K

Bogie

Well, I'll tell you what really smarts - Getting long hair, or especially BEARD, caught between your shoulder and the stock. Especially when shooting free recoil. My bench rifle has a Lee Six stock that is essentially unfinished - no buttplate either. Catches hair/beard VERY well.

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
Kaylee -- you got some way of illustrating what you are talking about?

Got the swivel fixed. What can the buttstock cavities be used for, a cleaning kit? I thought of putting a few loose rounds of 308 but I am not sure how good of an idea that would be: constant jarring from recoil, and rather poor access -- the latch is tough to open and the cavities are narrow.

Kaylee

What I'm talking about.. you mean with the front retaining pin?rmm.. I descibe the problem in detail somewhere in another thread. I'll dig it up in a bit if you can't find it.

The cavities are for your cleaning kit and combination tool.
Combo tool, chamber brush, and oil/grease bottle in the top hole.
segmented cleaning rod and bore brush in fabric pouch in bottom hole.

Fred's has the whoel kit'n'caboodle for around $18, I think.

-K

gaah.. in the archives, I don't explain it any better than I do here. So here we go again.
You already see the inletting in the right rear of the stock, under your windage knob. This is for the auto selector, and you'll need to fill it in. (I've been recommended to use JB Weld -- worked like a charm).

Anyhow.. up front, right at the end of the inletting on the starboard side of the receiver, there's also some loose space inside. This can be a problem when.....

Oh heck. Dissassemble your rifle.

Pull out the action, and turn it over. You see where the oprod is held in place with a spring, mounted over an oprod guide? Now, see down near the receiver, where the oprod guide is based in a notch in the receiver? A little rod, maybe 1/8" in diameter is holding that op rod spring guide rod into place.

See how that little rod can be moved laterally, and if you move it far enough, the op rod guiderod will come loose? This can bang your mag and will definately jam up your rifle if it happens in firing.

NOW.. here's the problem. That little rod can work loose under firing. The stock should be flush to both sides of that receiver block, to keep the little rod from working loose. The USGI stock does not do this on a Polytech receiver. So, you need to fill in the gap. JB Weld time again. Messy, needs to be dremeled down after it dries.. but worth it to prevent future agravation.

Make sense?

-K

Last edited:

C.R.Sam

I was trying to get the long underarm hair thought out of my head.
BWAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH.

Thanks to Steve, now usin backup keyboard while the other one dries from the shower massage treatment.

Must remember, not read with mouth full of lunch.

Sam