Is this gun worth $300?

tjhands

Hi, folks.

Have an opportunity to buy this gun for just over $300, out the door. It's a Model 19 Smith & Wesson. Fair?

Thanks, as always.

Attachments

• pix3774060596.jpg
    pix3774060596.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 247

tjhands

Guys, thank you. It's a beauty and seemed like a fair price.

As an aside, what does the dash one, dash two, or dash three mean on the Model 19? The guy said this was just a, "Model 19....no dash."

XavierBreath

The last two Model 19's I saw were:
4" barreled 95% gun at a gunshow for $329
and
4" barreled 19-2, also 95% at a pawnshop for $219
Both guns were blued. Yes, I keep track of all this in a journal :eek: .......helps keep me from buying........and when I do buy, I know the going rate in my area.

from Supica:
19......1957, stamped model number inside yoke
19-1.....1959 right to left hand thread on extractor rod
19-2.....1961 delete triggerguard screw, cylinder stop change

Sir William

I am late. I would beware. The thread direction IS an issue. The action can seize and you have a 357 Magnum rock. What happens is the ejector unscrews and binds up the cylinder. There have been many instances of this actually becoming an instant death in firefights. S&W changed the thread direction as a result of a LEOs widow winning a lawsuit against the company. I have also read, heard of and witnessed this in other S&W revolver models. One way that I have learned to spot the problem is that some owners use pliers to tighten down the ejector rod, the tool marks are prominent. I did not see any tool marks in the pic. I simply felt that you should be aware.

tjhands

Thanks again.

I didn't know any of that information.

Always nice to run things by you folks before considering a purchase. :)

Kestrel

Sir William,

Is the model "dash" the same change in other models? In other words, would a M36, M38, M60, etc., with no dash, have the older ejector rod? Model 10s, M66s? etc...

Thanks.

Sir William

It is a mixed bag. S&W made engineering changes on models as needed or demanded. A - is not an across the board change.