Is this doable?

Norrick

Take a Browning BAR (the sporter rifle, not the WWII machine gun) and put the magazine well from a FNAR on it so that you can use detachable magazines (the BAR uses a hinged magazine).

They appear to share the same synthetic fore-end dimensions. It looks like the FNAR has 3 pins/bolts above the trigger guard where the BAR has only 2. I figure some very modest alterations to make the part fit, what do you guys think?

BAR_Short_Trac_Stalker.jpg

shot2008010.jpg

Basically an M1a alternative is what I'm going for. Would be cheaper, and mix things up a little bit for fun. I would just pick up a FNAR if they offered them with a standard style stock (Cali laws, shame shame...)

Big-Foot

It would be lighter and well made, not really an extended fire rifle tho.. I'd guess that the BAR would have to be the new (expensive) version and that the FN mag would be spendy. Might be easier/cheaper to get the FN and swap on a BAR stock since the old, cheaper style butstock will fit.

Looks like I dldn't help much.

If you don't want an M1A or Garand a Saiga .308 would be a good alternative but you've probably already considered it.

Sorry bout that CA situation. I moved north.

uncyboo

I would just pick up a FNAR if they offered them with a standard style stock (Cali laws, shame shame...)

Flip your question around....

Will the Browning buttstock fit on the FNAR???

Last edited:

predator86

it would be cheaper to sell the bar and buy the fn....by the time you pay someone 50 bucks an hour to spend 40 hours working on it to get it to work right you would have been better off just buying the finished rifle....

yes, you can convert a 2wd truck to a 4x4, but its cheaper just to buy the 4x4 in the first place...food for thought

Doc TH

magazine changes

I don't have much experience with alterations to allow different magazines, mainly because I've seen and heard too many horror stories. Reliability is a primary concern in SA rifles, and it seems as though a swap such as you are contemplating could make that very problematic.