Is this an ok deal?

woodland

Just talked to a buddy I used to work with and he is looking at an AR. He's asking me if it is a good price, and I thought I'd get some extra input.

It is a Bushmaster with a flat top upper.
He said it has a heavy 22" free floated stainless fluted barrel. He thinks it was a JT barrel.
It has a 4-30x50mm scope, but he isn't sure what kind.
Comes with a few mags, 10 and 20 round.
It has had 200 rounds through it, and looks like brand new.

The guy is asking $2000 for it, and he was going to offer him $1800.

What do you think? I know the guy that owns it too, and I know it will be like brand new. Knowing him, I'm sure the scope will be a decent one too, not a tasco or BSA or something. He's just that way.

urbanassault

Its hard to say, you dont have a whole lot of info here. I would go back and get more info, what kind of barrel, what kind of upper, stock or comp trigger chrome internals or not, what kind of scope, there is alot of factors that would determine the price. Get all the info, repost or you can try AR15.com but that is a vague description.

Bobarino

depends on things like, what stock, what kind of trigger, what brand/type of optics, chrome bolt and carrier, and other stuff like that. sounds pretty steep to me. i'm thinking $1300-$1400-ish depending on optics. need more details but i think your friend could do better. especially if he builds it himself.

Bobby

woodland

what kind of barrel

He says it is a JT barrel, 1/8 twist. Is there a JT barrel maker?

what kind of upper

It is a Bushmaster flat top upper.

stock or comp trigger chrome internals or not

It is the Bushmaster comp trigger. What do you mean by internals? I don't think it is a chromed bolt and carrier, if that's what you mean. I'll tell him to find out.

It has an A2 stock.

The only other missing info I can think of is the brand of scope and maybe the mounts.

urbanassault

I guess its hard to say, could have a $50 scope could have a $1500 scope I would say Bobarino had a pretty good estimate. Of course if you do not know the guy selling or have seen the rifle there could be a bunch of cheap parts on/in it only making it "look" like an expensive rifle. Check out ar15.com there is ALOT more AR-15 information there. If you dont know him, for all you know he could have built the gun for $600 and would take your friend for a ride.

woodland

Well, actually I do know him. I worked with him before I move states. He is a very honest guy, and he is not the kind of guy to put a $50 scope on it. I do know that. He told my buddy that he has a little more than $2000 into it. I would believe his word. Course that doesn't mean he spent that $2000 in the most efficient way though. I'll try and find out what kind of scope it is, and if it is a chromed bolt and carrier.

armd_rt_wingr

What kind of lower? Is it all Bushmaster?

There is a store in Anoka MN called Sportsman's Warehouse and last time I checked, they had a factory DPMS A3 carry top:) with 16 inch barrel for $400-$800 (Can't remember exactly). Check it out.

DnPRK

Whether its a good deal depends on the quality of the scope. You need to find out about the scope's maker.