Is this a S&W Model 15?

Loupgarou

Some years ago I bought a used, nickelplated S&W in .38 Spl. I'm primarily an auto shooter and therefore a bit of an ignoramus when it comes to wheelguns. All I know for sure is that it's a K frame. The number on the butt is K 239**6. It's got three screws on the sideplate and a pinned barrel. The serial number visible under the cylinder arm (?) is 88**7 with another 7 underneath. I replaced the original stocks with the Hogues in the photo. A wild unlettered guess is that it's probably a S&W Model 15. Anyone recognize this model, and if so, is there a way of knowing the exact year of manufacture, and will it take +P .38 Spl loads, despite its obviously venerable age?

4093679167_cc9f4d1422.jpg

MLeake

That definitely looks like a Model 15

and they did make them in nickel.

No idea on the year, sorry.

KyJim

Open the cylinder and look at the stamping on the yoke. It will give the model number, maybe 15-4 or whatever.

gb_in_ga

Other than the grips and hers is blued instead of nickel plated, it looks just like SWMBO's 15-2.

Look on the inside of the crane. It should give the model number, assuming it doesn't predate model numbers. On hers, the model number is stamped just under the serial number (which is the K###### number).

It is possible that what you have is a pre model 15. They were made for several years prior to when S&W started using model numbers. If so, then what you have is a K-38 Combat Masterpiece.

IIRC, S&W changed their metallurgy a couple of years after they adopted model numbers, those after the metallurgy change are +P safe. I can't remember the exact year that changeover occurred, but I do remember that it was in the latter '50s. I do know that by the time that SWMBO's 15-2 came along (hers is a '62 model) they were +P safe.

BTW -- if you post a DOB (date of birth) request with the serial number (x out the last couple of digits) in the S&W serial number search thread in this forum, there are people there who have the documentation and can tell you all about it.

Last edited:

laytonj1

It is a K-38 Combat Masterpiece. Your serial number K 239**6 dates it to 1955. When S&W began assigning model numbers ~ 1958 it became known as the Model 15.

Jim

Loupgarou

Thank you for the dating Jim. I guess I'd better forget about +P's in this baby, as per gb_in_ga's chronology on the S&W metallurgical upgrade. It's even older than I thought.

Last edited:

gb_in_ga

Yah, if it is a pre-15 K-38 Combat Masterpiece, it is not really +P safe.

That isn't to say that you can't load it with +P for SD purposes. A few rounds of +P aren't going to hurt it (noticeably). ;) If you are going to use it for "social purposes", then if it were me, I'd shoot a cylinder (or 2) of your favorite +P fodder through it, just to see where it prints. ;) And then load it up with +P for "social purposes". ;) Practice with standard strength stuff. After all, .38 Spl +P just doesn't have all that much more pressure than the standard strength stuff. +P will beat it to death if you try and feed it with a steady diet of the stuff. But a cylinder to check it out and a cylinder for real isn't going to mangle the gun. After all, it is known (;)) that they loaded factory ammo in the "old days" hotter than they do now. ;);)

Honestly, if it really were me, I'd brew up some handloads that used premium JHP bullets, got as much performance as I could, and yet stayed just inside of the top of the standard strength .38 Spl pressure limits. In this case, I think it is excusable since you are having to deal with an older weapon that isn't really intended for use with modern strength ammo. By artfully selecting your bullet and powder, I feel that you can get get performance that is similar to factory .38 Spl +P SD fodder and yet keep it within standard pressure limits.

One thing you might want to keep in mind is that .38 Spl +P 158 gr LSWC-HP SD ammo is designed for use in CCW revolvers that have barrels in the 2" range nowadays. But your revolver has a 4" barrel. Thus, you can get similar performance as a +P in a 2" barrel with standard pressure offerings in your 4" barrel, assuming you use similar bullets. You make up for the lack of pressure with the longer barrel. You can get the 158 gr LSWC-HP component bullets for reloading. Thus, you can brew up your standard pressure analogue if you reload.

Last edited:

Loupgarou

Excellent points made, Jim. I appreciate your expertise and insights, particularly the 2" to 4" bbl performance differential. I also have a M 60-7 Chief's Special with the 2.25" bbl, which I think can take +P, as it was probably made in the 1980s. The serial number on that one is BSC 61**. I also bought it used, oh about ten years ago. This M 60 is my regular CCW pocket gun (in a pocket holster). It brings tear to my old eyes to see how much better crafted and manufactured the old S&Ws were than many of the guns that we have today, although it seems that everyone praises them to the skies.