Is This A Ruger Mark I Or Standard

jtmckinney

Please see attached picture of a family heirloom pistol I have. I have thought for years that it was a Mark I but reading some descriptions on here I now think it may be a Standard.

The family story is that my older half brother bought it new in 1954.

It was between mattress during a house fire that warped the original grips in 1971. I also remember my dad replacing the magazine and probably the springs because of this, other wise still a great shooter.

Thank You
James

Last edited:

Pahoo

By my measure, this is a Ruger MK-I Standard, although it is not likely to be marked as such. It most probably says ruger automatic pistol or sommething like that. At any rate, it's one of the first generations of the MK family. The bottom of you mag should be plain shiney white metal. Great little pistols!!

Be Safe !!!

surbat6

+1 to that. Fixed sights, tapered 4" or 6" barrel = Standard Model.
The habit now, though, is to call ANY early Ruger semi-auto a Mark I, to distinguish it from the Mark II or Mark III.

jtmckinney

I will call it a Standard from now on

Thanks for the replys.

It sounds like it is probably more accurate to call this gun a "Standard" with fixed sites, nine round magazine and early manufacturer.

Least valuable (if sold on the market) of the guns I actually shoot but still my favorite shooter by a lot.

Once again Thanks!
James

James K

Member In Memoriam
Wil Terry is right, Pahoo is wrong. The first Ruger auto was called just the Ruger automatic pistol. Then Ruger decided to produce a target model with adjustable sights and either a 5 1/2" Bull barrel or a 6 7/8" heavy tapered barrel. That model was called (and marked) the Mark I. The original pistol then became the Standard Model (not "Mark" anything).

In later years, the "Mark" term was used for other changes to the basic gun, with the target versions just being called the "Target", as in the Mark II Target Model.

In view of the Mark II and Mark III designations, it would seem logical to think of the original pistol as the Mark I, but that is not the case. The pictured pistol is a Ruger Automatic Pistol, or Standard Model.

Jim

SVO

Does look like it has the Ruger optional wood grips instead of the standard plastic grip panels.

madmag

I will add my weight since I own one.

Yeah it's a standard. I own a 6" standard, purchased new. Mine is not marked...that's not unusual.

BTW, I have put so many thousands of round through mine I lost count. You might even be able to wear one out in a couple of hundred years.:D

James K

Member In Memoriam
Oh, my, aren't we offended! It is no crime to be wrong; if it were, I would have been put in jail many times.

And if no one gives a hoot, why does anyone post on here?

Jim

jtmckinney

Pahoo Lighten Up

I as the OP do give a "rat's patoody ??" or I wouldn't have posted this in the first place. We all know how gun snobs can be about identifying guns. I grew up with this gun and realized I was probably mistaken about what model it was and ask on this forum.

James

Pahoo

jtmckinney
I think or hope your question has been answered, if not by me, then by someone else. In our own best ways, we are al here to learn and assist. Again, in our own best ways. ..... ;)

Be Safe!!!

Last edited:

jtmckinney

Pahoo, No Problem

My question is answered, unless some better information is available in the future, I will call this a Ruger Standard. Still LOVE the gun.

Have a great weekend!
James