Is this a really bad idea?

EastSideRich

I have a S&W 5906.
Shot it outside this weekend (temp was at or just below 0 with a healthy wind-chill).
The gun hasn't ever had a malfunction except one time at the range had 3 failure to eject with Sellier & Bellot over the course of < 50 rounds. I may need a new ejector, but I think this is unrelated.

Anyway, This weekend I had a failure to feed where I believe the top of the casing where the bullet is seated got hung up on the edge of the chamber (shooting WWB). It actually peeled about a 1mm wide strip of the brass back a couple of mm.
The edges of the chamber end of the barrel are a sharp 90 degrees.

What I was thinking of doing was just kissing these edges (see picture) with a dremel to soften this corner so there is not as sharp of an edge to get hung up on. When a round is seated in the chamber it is not tight, there is about a 1-2 mil gap on between the case and this edge on either side.

Is there any reason I should not do this
chamberedge_point.jpg

T. O'Heir

Chamfering the chamber is one of the steps/techniques used to improve feeding for most semi-autos. If you opt for the rotary tool, use a very light touch. Mind you, if it works fine with other ammo, I'd leave it alone. That chamber looks out of round(could b ethe picture though). It shouldn't be that rough on the sides either.

Hawg

I don't see where it would do any harm but be very careful to just take off the sharp edge. I think was it me tho I'd try polishing the feed ramp first.

EastSideRich

This may be a stupid question, but:
When people say "polish the feed ramp" does it mean just how it sounds? Just polish up the feed ramp and remove any little scratches? Is there more to it?
What is the purpose of this (what is the desired effect)?

Also, The chamber appears to be pretty round, I had to take the picture at an angle because of the flash. I think that's why it looks kinda funny in the picture. It also looks pretty rough in the photo, but I think the flash greatly exaggerates this.

croc4

yep

Just take out the scratches and give it a nice smooth look, always repeat to yourself, "a light touch" while doing it and frequently stop and examine it. The theory behind it is if there are no rough surfaces to the feed ramp the round does not loose anything from friction and thus feeds better. I have done it on many of my autos and have never had a problem with them (it may not have been required, but I figured it couldn't hurt, again light touch is the key), plus the ramp cleans up faster without any scratches, and looks good ; -).

I don't see any harm in rounding the edges (again light touch), I did a similar thing on my 10/22 factory barrel and it cured the feeding issues I occasionally had.

Now take this with a grain of salt, this is the internet and everyone is an "expert", including me ;-).

The best advise would be to take it to a good smith.

bobn

instead of a dremel use a round ceramic stone from brownells....i did not suscessfully complete gunsmith school, lol. however i learned one important thing. never use a powered tool for anything, always use human power. it cuts down on the carnage lol. bobn

Harry Bonar

Dremel

Sir:
Your pistol very badly needs a total "reliability package." Part of that IS cleaning up the ramp and chamber. Use a "bone wheel" and then a polishing "bob" to properly do this.
Harry B.

Last edited: