Is there such thing as a double action snub nose 45lc?

Deja vu

I am looking for a gift for a good friend of mine. He loves the 45lc and would like to have a ccs gun in his favorite round. He is a very large man so any thing N frame or smaller would likely be ok. Currently he pocket carries an N Fran 44 mag with 44 special but he like the 45lc better.

He had helped me out many times and I’m looking to surprise him. If there is no snub nose I could have the barrel cut but looking for the easier option first.

TruthTellers

That's available and currently made? Only Charter and Taurus Public Defender are it, but the Taurus is .410 as well so the cylinder is long.

Taurus did make a snub .45 Colt only, but that's been gone for a while. There were some Colt New Services back in the day that got the Fritz Special treatment, but they command a premium today as do all Colt New Services.

Double action .45 Colt revolvers are very uncommon and snubs even more so.

big al hunter

Ruger makes a Redhawk snub. It's chambered in 454, but you could load it with Colt and enjoy very light recoil. Might be just a little bit too big, but it is an option.

JohnKSa

Administrator
Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan in .454 Casull will chamber .45Colt. It's a big, heavy gun--2.75lbs and over 7.5 inches long overall.

Another option is the S&W Governor. It's even bigger, at about 8.5" long, but considerably lighter at about 1.9lbs. It is actually a .410 revolver, but can also be used with .45Colt and .45ACP. Taurus makes a similar firearm.

LineStretcher

The Smith & Wesson Governor has a 2.75 " barrel but an overall length of 8". Because it also shoot's 2.5" .410 shot gun it may not be legal in your state. California considers it a short barreled shotgun and has banned it. It also shoots 45LC and 45ACP (with moon clips). I have one and it is an easy shooter with whatever I put in it. Mine shoots high but I know how high and I can easily adjust accordingly. Trigger pull is great in SA and not bad in DA.

JohnMoses

I remember reading a gun rag review of a Taurus total titanium snub in 45colt. Loaded with Blazer aluminum 200 grain hp, it was about the same weight as a mdl 60

Webleymkv

Taurus made several big bore, five shot snubs including the 415 .41 Magnum, 445 .44 Special, 455 .45 ACP, and 450 .45 Long Colt. Unfortunately, I believe all of these models are currently out of production.

lamarw

The best idea I can offer up is a S&W Model 25 Mountain Gun. I have one in .45 Colt N frame size and it is slightly lighter than my L frame size Model 686 in .357 Magnum. It becomes slightly heavier, by an ounce or two, than the 686 when you count the heavy .45 ammunition.

It is not a snub nose and has a 4" barrel. It would be doable for a large statue person.

MIOkie

+1 on the Charter Arms Bulldog XL in .45 Colt.
They are far from pretty but very functional.
They are surprisingly light weight and the 2 1/2 inch barrel is sufficient.
Very comfortable to carry and draws well.

Good luck with your shopping...!

Cosmodragoon

I didn't know about the Charter Arms Bulldog XL. MIOkie is right that they aren't pretty. If it works though, why not?

I know Ruger recently made a 4" Redhawk in .45 Colt but I don't see it now. Have they made a snub-nosed version of that? If so, that would be great. The Ruger Alaskan in .454 would work but it is a dense chunk of steel for normal .45 Colt ammo. Maybe your friend just needs to get acquainted with .454 Casull or .480 Ruger? ;)

Ruger45LC

Another vote for the Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan. It's 454 but will shoot .45 Colt, which is also my favorite cartridge. Ruger does still make the 4.2" Redhawk .45 Colt, but lately they've been doing some changes to the Redhawk, namely sleeve and shroud barrels, but this model shoots .45 Colt and .45 ACP and is an updated version of the original Redhawk .45 Colt/ACP they released a few years ago, it's got a different model number as well. Personally I find the trigger on the Super Redhawk is better, it's got the same trigger as the GP100 series. You can still find the Super Redhawk 454 "Toklat" model, it's got a 5" barrel.