Is there a way to slightly bend a kydex holder and make it wider?

Pistoler0

Hello all,

I have a very cheap ($30) OWB paddle kydex holster that fits my Glock 21 perfectly, and if I really really push and jam I can make my EAA Witness Polymer Compact fit.

The holster would need to be just a smidgen wider at the slide for the Witness to fit perfectly.

Is there a way to heat kydex so that it becomes and little softer and I can make the pistol fit? Would warming it up in the oven at 400 or 500 degrees work?

Sharkbite

I have frequently used a heat gun to mold kydex around knife sheaths and holsters. Heat till it gets just soft enough to move ans when it cools it holds the new shape.

TunnelRat

Similar to previous, use a heat gun to get the kydex to a point where it’s soft and then insert and draw the pistol. That alone should make it work without bending the holster. To tighten it back up push on the kydex around the trigger guard while the kydex is soft and it will form to that shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HiBC

That might work for you,but it won't fit your Glock anymore. Reliable retention is as critical as not dropping or losing a loaded gun.

Most of the kydex holsters are pretty reasonable for price.

Pistoler0

Thanks everybody for the advice.

HiBC, yeah good point, thank you. If retention for the Glock loosens, I'll buy the same holster again for the Glock, it is only $30. But they don't make it for the Witness or CZ, so maybe playing with a heating gun will give me a useable cheap OWB holster for it.

HiBC

I do not know if Blackhawk makes a holster for that gun.
I like their SERPA retention holster,myself.

Up front,I will tell you they are controversial. Some folks manage to shoot themselves using them.

IF you have the discipline to keep your trigger finger straight,pointed forward along the slide or frame as you draw (As we should) there is no problem. The trigger finger engages the retention release and you complete your draw with the finger outside the trigger guard pointed toward the target.

However,if you hook your finger and try to push that release button with your fingertip, As your finger slides off the holster with pressure on it, it falls into the trigger guard and applies pressure to the trigger.

The result might be a bullet entering the calf,thigh,or knee.

A fellow has to know his limitations. For myself,I like the SERPA

Some folks have found if you ce enough gravel to the release mechanism, It may not release when you need for it to.

eflyguy

I used a tight-fitting dowel and a heat gun to slightly alter the shape of the slide pocket in a similar situation. It allowed both pistols to stay firmly in-place despite having different width slides.

Not saying it's the preferred way, it just worked for me.

TunnelRat

I do not know if Blackhawk makes a holster for that gun.
I like their SERPA retention holster,myself.

Up front,I will tell you they are controversial. Some folks manage to shoot themselves using them.

IF you have the discipline to keep your trigger finger straight,pointed forward along the slide or frame as you draw (As we should) there is no problem. The trigger finger engages the retention release and you complete your draw with the finger outside the trigger guard pointed toward the target.

However,if you hook your finger and try to push that release button with your fingertip, As your finger slides off the holster with pressure on it, it falls into the trigger guard and applies pressure to the trigger.

The result might be a bullet entering the calf,thigh,or knee.

A fellow has to know his limitations. For myself,I like the SERPA

Some folks have found if you ce enough gravel to the release mechanism, It may not release when you need for it to.

I personally think Safariland’s ALS system is superior to the Blackhawk SERPA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk