Is there a Source for Yugo Mauser Firing Pins?

TX Hunter

I read somewhere on the internet that the intermediate Yugo Mauser Pattern Rifle, is known to break firing pins. I have been looking for a Spare Firing Pin, or a Couple to keep in my ready bag, do any of you know where one can be obtained ? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Which one do you have? Numrich has them for the 24 and 24/47. Part number 729690 for $24.55. I don't see anything there for the 48 or 48A.

I haven't looked very hard, but if those are getting scarce, I would make careful measurements of the one you have in case you ultimately need to have one made.

TX Hunter

Thanks UncleNick

I have the 24/47 model, last time I checked Numrich didnt have them but thats been a good while back, If they have them in stock im gonna order one. Thanks

Sorry, I didn't look at the stock. It still says Sold Out. Hmmm. There's got to be another source. Meanwhile, I'd still be dimensioning the good one you have.

Try seeing if you can get hold of Jim Caudill (The Mauser Man), here in Ohio. Often at gun shows and has a fair parts collection. The last number I had for him was 740-965-2185.

Scorch

If you know a good machinist, you can have him shorten a few of the M98 firing pins. They will have to be trimmed about 1/4" and the cocking piece retainer grooves recut. Since firing pins are hard, he will probably have to use carbide tools.

meatgrinder42

Have you tried gunbroker? Even if you have to buy a whole bolt for a spare, then you even get a spare spring as well? Just a thought.

gyvel

gyvel, i think that the 98k firing pin is too long for a Yugo 24/47

I know that the 98k firing pin would be too long for an M48 Yugo, but isn't the 24/47 just a rehashed Czech VZ24? I think the firing pins are the same length. (I haven't actually pulled any of mine out to measure.)

James K

Member In Memoriam
No, it is an updated FN Model 24, which is the same as the M48 action.

The Czech VZ-24 is a standard length action, the same as the Gew. 98 and the K.98k.

Jim

TX Hunter

i havent tried gunbroker, and dont have access to a machienist other than on the job, and i cant work on a gun at work. I may have to put Larry Potterfield on my Christmas Card List.

gyvel

gyvel, i think that the 98k firing pin is too long for a Yugo 24/47

The Czech VZ-24 is a standard length action, the same as the Gew. 98 and the K.98k.

Yep, you're both right. I took the firing pin out of my 24/47 and it is about 5/16" shorter than a standard German 98. I learned something. I mistakenly thought the 24/47s were redone Czechs.