Is there a need for the 10mm round?

TheNatureBoy

I hesitated to ask this question but there were so many good responses to the question ref a need for the .40 cal round. I say if you could do without one it would be the 10mm round because we have the .40 cal (same diameter bullet w/ longer case). Add to that not being able to purchase the round at all of the local Marts or mom and pop stores. If you take your 10mm on the road and by chance forget your ammo you're screwed. Not so for the .40 cal. I vote keep the .40 and if you get rid of one make it the 10mm.

WIL TERRY

The 10mm Auto Is The Greatest Pistol Cartridge Of The Past 40 Years.

I wouldn't give the 40S&W standing room in a butt kicking contest in comparison.

Yellowfin

Sure there is: an autoloader for woods carry. Not everyone is most proficient with a revolver, and Desert Eagles aren't practical to carry as a hiking sidearm, nor are they afforable. The Glock 20, Colt Delta Elite, and the 3rd gen Smiths certainly are. If I can scrape together the cash a S&W 1006 is definitely on my must purchase list.

12-34hom

The 10mm is very versatile round, from self defense applications or hunting with proper bullets.

Check the stats on 10mm vs 40 cal - there really is no comparision - the 10mm wins any comparision you might make.

12-34hom

Officer's Match

Affirmative.
IMG_0023_1.jpg

Alleykat

The .40 is an ill-conceived design, with little latitude for error on the part of reloaders. I'll take the 10mm every time!

Pappy John

Love the Ten!

There is a need, as long as you choose ammo that reflects the real 10mm potential... 700 ft/lb+... and not some lame round whose output can be duplicated with the .40 S&W case.

My Glock 20, with it's 15 round magazine, is a great woods walking companion. It also happens to be one of the guns I shoot most accurately.

Sevens

Well, as long as there still exists a .22LR, a 9mm, and a .44 Magnum, I guess you could go out on a limb and say there is no need for any other handgun caliber.

10mm has held on a long time in a world that really didn't care to accept it. Not only is it still here when the original gun chambered for it shot itself in the foot, it's making a bit of a comeback. There's a small but dedicated following of us who've owned a 10 or a few 10's since they were relatively new on the scene, and we don't think it's going away.

Is there a need for the 10mm round? Hell yes, there is-- if there were no 10mm rounds, I wouldn't have anything to feed my S&W, and that would make me sad.

73-Captain

As much as I like the 10mm...

Different day, same question.

Does anyone bother to do a search before asking the same/similar question over and over and over?

C.

BigJimP

I don't really care for a 10mm personally - or a few other calibers ........but I think we ought to keep it anyway .......and make a 10.1 and a 10.2 and a 10.3 ........ just for the hell of it .:rolleyes:

Majic

Actually you could do without the .40. You can always download a 10 to do the job of a .40. In fact that's how the .40 was born, big daddy 10 spit out a sibling.

vox rationis

Actually you could do without the .40. You can always download a 10 to do the job of a .40. In fact that's how the .40 was born, big daddy 10 spit out a sibling.

Does anyone still make the original FBI 10mm load? If shooting the FBI load (180gr at 960-980 fps), does one have to use a lighter recoil spring?

What do you guys think of the argument that the longer 10mm round, with its straight walled case, is inherently less reliable than .40S&W and .45 ACP.

Stevie-Ray

Keep the 10. Get rid of the 10 Lite.

What do you guys think of the argument that the longer 10mm round, with its straight walled case, is inherently less reliable than .40S&W and .45 ACP.
I say BS. I've NEVER had a failure of ANY KIND from ANY LOAD in my Delta Elite.

kristop64089

Yes we need for 10mm, this is why I had to have a Witness 10mm.
I have had 3 10mm, and these things rock. Probably the most versatile, commercialy loaded, Semi-Auto around.

Pappy John

Does anyone still make the original FBI 10mm load? If shooting the FBI load (180gr at 960-980 fps), does one have to use a lighter recoil spring?
I make a plinking round for my G20 that duplicates these balistics, using a lead truncated cone bullet. The pistol has a 22 lb spring and a KKM barrel using standard rifling. It cycles fine, but leaves the brass rather close by, as opposed to the more vigorous ejection of a DoubleTap type load.:cool:

I haven't tried these in my G29. I've kept the original barrel in that one and don't use it to shoot lead. It's gotten a steady diet of 180 gr JHP @ 1200fps... and up.

j-a-r

Yes, I feel there is a need for the 10mm round. It's a good proven manstopper. I have a Glock 20 in 10mm and enjoy shooting it. If you can handle the power of the 10mm, why not use it? The only drawbck to it is that there aren't many more guns chambered for it.

j-a-r

J. Parker

As per the thread starter......Is there a need for the 10mm round? The answer is not only no but hell no. Other calibers fill the need no problem. Is it a good caliber? Well, yes it is. You can't have too many calibers.....they are all fun in their own way. The greatest caliber in the last 50 years....please. Spare me. The 10mm is like the 41 magnum, the 357 sig, or similar "oddball" calibers. Please don't take offense......but the 45acp, the 9mm, the 357 magnum, and the 44 magnum still rule the roast.

~John