Is there a Hoppes style cleaner w/no fumes?

MidnightRambler

I'm wanting to clean my revolvers with a regular cleaner, than oil the cylinder, rather than use a CLP like Breakfree. I can't stand the fumes of Hoppes, Shooters Choice, etc though. Is there a good cleaner like those that does not have the fumes?

darkvibe

I use Hoppes Semi-Auto solvent. It doesn't smell up the place like Hoppes #9. I don't know if they allow you to clean a revolver with semi-auto solvent though ;)

hoghunting

Midnight,
I have started using a foam product called Wipe-out. It does not have the odor of most gun cleaners(I don't have a problem with their aroma). It works great on jacketed bullets. I have not tried it on lead yet so I don't know how it will work. I have not found it locally, but I order it from
www.midwayusa.com

Old Time Hunter

Try 3M Flux remover, it is designed for the high-tech PCB industry, but works great on fouled bores with the intent of floating the lead and nitrates. Doesn't stink either and is bio degradeable and non toxic (before you get the lead in it).

Jim Watson

M-Pro 7 is almost odorless, it appears to be a detergent rather than a hydrocarbon solvent mix. It will not hurt plastic parts or synthetic stock finish but it will mar old style varnish and lacquer finishes. It will give you dishpan hands if you get it on your skin, it is a powerful cleaner. I use it everywhere that does not require copper removal.

I just got some Wipe-Out foam and will try that today on a rough and coppered rifle barrel.

Russ5924

If you can find it Pro-shot 1 step cleaner and lub it even smells good:p And some of the best cleaner I have ever used:eek:

.50DE

Mpro dose have a copper cleaner, but I've had a hell of a time finding a place that has it in stock.

Jim Watson

Hal, I don't know about YOUR Ballistol, but MY can of Ballistol just plain stinks. The ammonia and light hydrocarbons in Hoppe's et al might be worse for your health, but Ballistol is kind of skunky and disgusting.

Josephs Dad

Midnight Rambler

It's too bad you don't like the fumes. For me they instantly trigger great memories. I'm 50 but one whiff of Hoppes #9 and I'm 5 years old sitting on my daddys lap while he cleaned his guns (I got to cut the patches out of an old cotton sheet. They had to be just the right size depending on caliber - big responsibility for a 5 year old).

Josephs Dad

GeorgeF

Man, you said it. Hoppe's could be perfume for as much as I like it. TONS of great memories.

God that stuff is awesome.

kingudaroad

I worry about the effects hoppes #9 odor has on my hunting weapons. It seems to linger on the gun for a long time.

I switched to m-pro7 with no regrets.