Is there a handgun that can convert from .45 to 9mm

Fuzzy

I'm contemplating my first handgun purchase and I'm debating whether to get a .45 or a 9mm. .45s are more powerful but 9mms are cheaper to shoot. (which means I get more practice with it)

I know that some pistols can switch calibers. Can any switch between these two popular calibers?

Thanks,

Possibly the EAA Witness, but I'm not entirely certain about that.

I've got a Witness in 10mm, and I know that it can be converted to either .45 or .38 Super.

I'm giving serious thought about the .38 Super.

P

PreserveFreedom

I doubt you'll find one with a simple barrel swap. The OD of most 9mm/45ACP barrels differs as does the extractor location.

Rainbow Six

What are you referring to when you use the word "powerful"? If you're talking about self defense effectiveness I think 9mm is just as effective as .45 if you put 'em where it counts. In fact, with good quality ammo any of the popular self defense rounds are probably more "equal" than any of us care to believe or admit. That is, if anybody really actually knew or could measure it without variables or speculation.

I have given up on "stopping power" and magic bullets and now I concentrate on shooting skills and accuracy. Get the gun you are comfortable with and can shoot the best and use which ever good quality ammo is most accurate from your gun. Don't sweat the "power" thing unless you plan on hunting extremely large game with your pistol.

R6

Las Vegan Cajun

I have given up on "stopping power" and magic bullets and now I concentrate on shooting skills and accuracy.

AMEN!!!!!

When I confessed to carrying a Beretta Tomcat 3032, aka "Mousegun" for summer carry some "big bore" types thought I was nuts. Hey, with Federal H/S 65 grain JHP's placed in the right spot it will do the job.

I love my Kimber Ultra CDP but my old pal, Beretta 92 FS, is still the one that I trust the most. The Kimber is a fine shooting pistol and it will take some getting used to when it comes to switching mags and operating the slide release after all those years of using the 92FS.

taco

Yes.

About 12 years ago I remember a pistol called "Omega" from a guy or company in Germany called Peter Stall system or something like that. It was a modified 1911 design with BHP locking mechanism that had 2 opposing extractors on the slide which allowed the same slide to be used for 9mm, 38 Super, 10mm and 45ACP. To change caliber you just had to change the barrel, recoil spring and magazine.

I saw one at a gun show but it was very expensive... I think it was about $3,000 for a pistol plus all the necessary parts for above calibers. A single extra mag was about $80.

Marko Kloos

The EAA Witness in .45 ACP can be converted to 22LR, 9mm Luger, .40 *&*, .38 Super, and 10mm Auto, by way of swapping barrels, slides and magazines as required.

The Witness Compact in .45 ACP can be converted to all of the above minus the .22LR. The Witness-P (polymer) in .45 can be converted to all the above including .22LR also.

TonyPoulos

Ditto what Lendringser says.

Just be prepared to pay $225.00 a pop for any of the caliber conversion kits from EAA.:barf:

Tony

Redlg155

I thought the Medussa was a revolver that allowed shooting of the 9mm to .38/.357 family of cartridges by way of a modified extraction system.? If I'm not mistaken I believe there were even some warnings about trying to shoot 9x8 Makarov in the Medussa.

Good Shooting
RED

ohen cepel

The Medusa was a revolver, think Colt may have bought the rights to it and buried it though.

If you want cheap and power together get a .357 revolver. Put .38's in it for target and .357 for carry.

By the way, my Micro-Uzi can switch from 9mm to .45. Little big for daily carry though.:cool: