"Is there a gun in the car?" or, Cordex meets Officer FriendlyCop

Ben Swenson

Now I know exactly how I'll answer this question.

Tonight I was puttering along in the left lane on 465, heading south when a car pulls up behind me and gets pretty close. I figure they want me to make way for them, so I pick up the pace to get around a car and pull into the middle lane.

So far, so good.

Then this joker gets in behind me again. And lights me up. 'Oh', says I, 'this chap didn't want to get by me at all. No doubt he would like to have a chat with me about my excess velocity. I had better oblidge.' (or profanity to that effect). So, I pulled over onto the shoulder and made ready for a close encounter of the cop kind (all the while beseeching LawDog to watch over me from afar).
1. Put car in park and kill turn signal.
2. Turn on dome lights.
3. Put wallet on dashboard.
4. Kill stereo.
5. Lower driver's side window.
6. Place hands on steering wheel.

The situation played out something like this:
Cop: *knocks on passenger window*
Cordex: "er ... oh" *lowers passenger window*
Cop: "I need to see your driver's license and registration"
Cordex: "Yes, sir." *starts picking through his wallet*
Cop: "Is there a gun in the car?"
Cordex: "Yes, sir. I carry legally."
Cop: "Where is it?"
Cordex: "My right hip."
Cop: "Okay, keep it there and we're all right."
Cordex: "Would you like to see my carry permit?"
Cop: *apathetically amused* "Sure, if you want to show it to me"
Cordex: *hands over the permit*
Cop: *glances it over briefly and hands it back*
Cordex: *continues to look through the wallet, but forgot that he had placed the driver's license in his coat pocket the day before*
Cop: "I tell you what, since you were nice enough to put your hands up on the wheel and all, I'll let this slide. You were going 78 in a 55. Be careful" *walks off and drives away*

Thus ends my tale. This happened about 2220 local time. He never saw anything but the little pink piece of paper that says that I'm allowed to carry a gun and wasn't really concerned with seeing it.

So here's my point: How you comport yourself is important when dealing with the police and can be the difference between a very large ticket and a polite warning. This guy was a decent cop, I think. Not because he didn't give me a ticket (though that certainly made him seem friendlier to me), but because he was very polite and professional, didn't become irrational when I told him I had a gun, and was patient with me. The fact that I prepared myself in the proper manner and was polite was enough to get me off the hook.

Not all cops empty their magazines at the first mention of the word "gun" and I just thought I'd provide an example of "one of the good guys".

---

Results may not be typical.

DadOfThree

I agree 100%. I also think it helps to carry your pink slip.
You got stopped for running 78 on 465? What were you doing? Impeding traffic flow? :D :D

1911greg

he knew you were on his side, DAD if you lived in CA you would be considered pure evil!

you are only allowed to have 2 evil features, like christian and gun owner but hetrosexual christian and white, your in trouble with the caliban. And add gunowner to that list, you will be the outcast of society and the gestapo will come and haul you away!

DadOfThree

1911greg,
That's why I don't live in CA. :D :D In my defense, I don't have "white" listed anywhere on my sig line. I went to the Defense Language Institute in Monterey when I was in the Army. I would wear my "Christian American Heterosexual Pro-gun Conservative" T-shirt while in town. The crowds would part and let me through wherever I went. ;)

twoblink

If you were in CA,

He would have drawn on you and called for backup...

My friend got pulled over, and the cop asked if he was carrying. (of course, my friend was WALKING and not in a car, walking in LA is somewhat illegal now.. I suppose) and the cop called for backup, and 6 squad cars showed up.

He kept walking. They had no right to stop him, and so all 6 cars followed him until he got home...

It's not just how you face the cops, but where you are from, and their mindsets...

El Rojo

I have that same exact philosophy when getting pulled over, even if I am not carrying. I think the easier you make it on the cop, the easier he is going to make it on you. Thank God I have gotten out of being pulled over three times in my short driving career (9 years), all with warnings. The obvious is I am blessed, but I think part of it is I am ready with my documents when they get up to the window with my hands on the steering wheel.

Seeker

How you comport yourself is important when dealing with the police and can be the difference between a very large ticket and a polite warning.
Last time I was stopped was a Sunday AM, I was on a long (10 miles) straight country road with no toher traffice tha I had seen. Crest a rise and see a burgandy caprice tailgating an old Chevy van coming towards me. As I pass the caprice, I note "stuff" behind the windshiled, once pass the caprice I see his tailights come on. So I pulled over and waited for him to turn around. When he approached the car I had my license, registartion and insurance ready for him (didn't have CCW at the time and wasn't carrying). He wrote me a ticket for 71 in a 55 (Violation of Basic Rule since it was more than 15 over the limit - doubles the price of the ticket).

A co-worker that same week got stopped on I-5 (between Portland and Salem OR) doing 95 in a 55 and weaving in and out of traffic during rush hour. Cop saw his CCW and let him off with a warning.

Oracle

When I'm pulled over, I always turn on the lights in the car, roll down the window, and put my hands on the steering wheel. I've been told at least once that the officer appreciated it (but he gave me a ticket anyway). It's been a while since I've been pulled over, but this would still be what I'd do. Good job!

LawDog

Staff Emeritus
(all the while beseeching LawDog to watch over me from afar).

Now, go forth and burn an offering of smokeless powder and lead at the range of your choice, and try to sin no more. :D:D:D

St. LawDog

Ben Swenson

Now, go forth and burn an offering of smokeless powder and lead at the range of your choice, and try to sin no more.
So let it be written, so let it be done. I'll probably do some more slug practice and work with the .357 so I'll be better prepared for hunting.
If I'm lucky, I'll shed a blood offering this coming Friday. Sadly, I didn't get anything on opening weekend (I'll find some way to blame this on Kcustom45).
You got stopped for running 78 on 465? What were you doing? Impeding traffic flow?
Only 78 on I-465, "the Letterman Expressway"? Cordex you drive slower than me!
I know, I know ... I have no excuses.

Note: I recognize completely that I was in violation of the law (slightly moreso than the other cars on the road) but I was not endangering others or driving recklessly. The only reason I posted this here was the officer's refreshing attitude towards a "mere civilian" carrying a gun.

mpthole

Cordex: Glad to hear things turned out well. :)

... but, wouldn't an equally appropriate response have been something along the lines of, "What does that have to do with pulling me over for a moving violation?" Or, "Am I under arrest?" or, "I'm sorry officer, but I fail to see how that pertains to you pulling me over." or "Why do you ask?"

Not trying to be a jerk here (really)... but my understanding is that you aren't under any obligation to answer a question like this.

I know that in some shall-issue states a permit holder MUST inform an officer when presenting ID. If that's the case, no problems here. Its the other cases that I'm curious about.

Long Path

mpthole, it's not bad policy to ask this when confronting violator. I don't do it every time, but some departments teach this as part of their "7 Step Violator Contacts" (Or would that now make it "8 SVC"?).

The Supreme Ct. has ruled that it is no violation of the driver's rights for the officer to ask, out of SOP, if there are any weapons or even drugs in the car.

In this case, the officer was absolutely right. There's nothing wrong with trying to ascertain what the situation is. Knowing where we all stand is a mighty helpful tool if a situation falls apart. Where it could turn wrong is in the officer's reaction to the affirmative answer. One reason that I personally will ask this question in a traffic stop is to guage the response I get from the guy I'm asking. A blurted out "No!" followed by lots of facial wipes, sweating, and heavy breathing merits further investigation, doesn't it? ;) A bored "Yep." Will interest me very little, other than to find out where, and perhaps out of curiosity only, what kind. (I've had some stops go to 20 or 30 minutes while we talked about guns.)

Cordex-- 78 in a 55?!? You, sir, were given a gift! :) I find my tolerance goes up for the clearly law-abiding (i.e., CCW licensees), but 23 over is hard to give a verbal warning over. My wife said, "Sounds like one Indiana cop really needed to use the bathroom, and was glad to find it was a good guy he had stopped." I concur. Heh.

Congrats!

dinosaur

Cordex, if he ran your plate before he stopped you, would your CCW have popped up on the computer? I think it`s that way in Texas, no? Here in Pa. it`s not in their computer system.

Ben Swenson

Cordex, if he ran your plate before he stopped you, would your CCW have popped up on the computer?
I don't know. KSFreeman?
Cordex-- 78 in a 55?!? You, sir, were given a gift! :)
Believe you me, this much I know!
My wife said, "Sounds like one Indiana cop really needed to use the bathroom, and was glad to find it was a good guy he had stopped." I concur. Heh.
Could be. It was a bit chilly too, so that might have played into it. Yeah, I was going 23 over, but when you consider that I was only going around 5-8 miles an hour faster than the cars around me, maybe it's not so bad. Maybe? (justification, it's a wonderful thing) I just need to make sure KSFreeman or DadOfThree are driving nearby next time I want to go 80 on 465. The cops will have their hands full with real speeders then. *grin*
my understanding is that you aren't under any obligation to answer a question like this.
Yeah, I probably could have said "Bugger off, copper." to his inquiry, but I was in enough potential trouble as it was. While I may not have had to answer the question, under the circumstances I feel it was the best decision. Next time you get pulled over by a polite, professional police officer, you are welcome to try out some of your responses. And (I'm not trying to be a jerk either) I look forward to your posting the results. He treated me with respect, and I'm not sorry I responded truthfully.

KSFreeman

Cordex, yep, it pops up (if they look), but ISP recs are sometimes less than accurate.

Long Path has it right. Po-po can ask if they want. Just be cool and make no sudden (read stupid) movements like the guy I had once with the M66.:D

Keith_Yorktown

Yeah, 78 on 465 isn't that unusual. I feel like an absolute slow-poke going 65.

The two times I've been pulled over, both in Carmel, I've not had the question asked, so didn't volunteer the info. But, I also follow the hands on wheel, YES sir, approach. Their just doing their job and when I've been pulled over, it was for something (tail light out and speeding.)

papercut

lurking.gif