Is there a faster way to clean a bore

headbangerJD

I don't mind cleaning my guns, but the most time consuming part is cleaning the bore. Is there a faster way to clean a bore than by pushing endless amounts of clean patchese through the barrel?

l98ster

Get a Hoppes Bore Snake!! These things work great dry OR with some type of solvent. 1 pass and its all clean!!!

-George

azredhawk44

Friends don't let friends buy bore snakes.

Bore snakes are a good field-expedient way to get your barrel "cleaner." Note, I didn't say "clean." Carrying one while out hunting is okay, but it should not be part of your home cleaning methodology, IMO.

If you want your bore clean, get a good cleaning rod (handguns are cleaned just fine with a cheap aluminum sectional rod) and a bronze bristle brush of appropriate size to your caliber. Wet it with a cleaning solvent, push the brush completely through the chamber and bore until it fully exits the barrel, then all the way back. Do not change directions while the bristles are inside the rifling.

Tenacious lead deposits can be removed in 15-30 seconds of vigorous cleaning this way. Copper deposits disappear even quicker.

I shoot cast lead bullets every week, about 100-150 rounds. I get lead deposits in my bore. I clean my gun in all of about 5 minutes and it is not a big deal at all.

I have used bore snakes, and I still own several (.45, .38/9mm, .30 and .22 sizes). The rifle ones go to the range in my rifle bag(s), but the handgun ones never get used any more. They're just not worth it.

Caboclo

Mops are good too. That's a thing that is the same shape as a brush but made from cloth. After using the brush, use the mop instead of a patch to wipe the gunk out of the barrel

Skans

While the boresnake might not get your rifle match-grade clean, they are an excelent tool to get your barrel more than "clean enough".

Edward429451

Boresnakes are ok but they shouldn't be used instead of a rod & brush but in addition to a rod & brush. I was cutting my own wide long patches out of old T shirts and fishing it through the barrel and step on one end and hold the other end up and work the barrel up and down. Prolly saves the fifty patches.

CLP
brushes
bore snake
patches & clp again if needed
patches and jag
oil

grumpa72

It depends on what clean means? When I come back from the range and my pistols bores have a fair amount of lead, no amount of patches will work. Instead, I use Chore Boy, a copper scrub pad, and take several strands of that off and wrap around my bore brush. A few strokes and the lead is gone. Make sure you get the real copper ones and not the copper coated steel ones. :eek:

oneounceload

brake cleaner will get the junk out - spray in the barrel, let sit a minute or so, run a few patches through then an oil patch and you're done

Doyle

brake cleaner will get the junk out - spray in the barrel, let sit a minute or so, run a few patches through then an oil patch and you're done

I agree. The emphasis on "light oiling". Brake cleaner leaves it dry so a little oil helps prevent rust.

seeker_two

Here's what I do with my rifle & pistols...

Get some foaming bore cleaner. Take a piece of paper towel and plug the muzzle tightly. Fill the barrel with foam until it can't hold any more. Wait 10-20 minutes. Then use your patches as normal, pushing out the plug. You'll see that you'll need a lot fewer to get it clean.

Teuthis

The time spent cleaning a firearm is well spent. Trying to hurry the process is disrespect for the weapon. A bore brush and a good cleaner are the solution. At times, from reloading, I have had to use the anti-lead patches, but that was time well spent.

ClydeFrog

+1 for the Boresnake; Viper....

I've owned 2 excellent Boresnakes for my .40 & 9mm/.357/.38spl handguns. Look for Hoppes new Viper line of Boresnakes. It's an improved version with better cleaning material.
They make great rifle/shotgun barrel products too. ;) I've seen cleaning rods in a few firearm/outdoor catalogs; www.Cabelas.com www.natchezss.com www.Brownells.com www.Cheaperthandirt.com www.PoliceHQ.com .

As for cleaning products, Hoppes #9, Butch's Bore Shine, Gunzilla, Eezox, MPro7, Weaponshield, or Ballistol would all get the carbon, grit, gunpowder, etc out of the firearm barrel.

Last edited:

blueorb

" Do not change directions while the bristles are inside the rifling".

People always advise this. Why? The copper cannot harm the barrel. It may wreak havoc on your copper bristles but that's about it. When I have heavy fouling I do this on a regular basis. Never had a problem.

Last edited:

Edward429451

I do not know for positive but I surmise that not changing direction in the bore with your bristle brush is to save harm to your bore from getting it stuck and possibly dragging the steel twisty that holds the bristles into contact with your bore and damaging it. Makes sense. I do not change direction in the bore with new brushes but older ones which have lost a little diameter I do.

MR.G

For lead, I start with a Lewis lead remover. Then solvent on a cotton patch. For copper I use a bore brush of the correct size with solvent. Then cotton patches. With a revolver I spend a lot more time cleaning the cylinder than the barrel.

orionengnr

I shoot a lot of lead bullets. The Chore Boy works well to remove lead. Even without it, a well-wetted brush pushed through a few times, and the bore left wet with solvent for a few minutes or so (while I clean the frame and slide) followed by two patches generally does the trick.

I bought a Lewis Lead remover but have not yet tried it. The Chore Boy works that well.

SIGSHR

I always use chemistry before I use elbow grease. I like to let things soak. I have read that competetive rifle shoters in years gone by would use various compounds then use corks in the muzzle and chamber to keep it in place, they would let the rifle sit for a while.

l98ster

Lets keep in mind that the OP said he wanted a QUICKER way to clean. While the bore snake is not the best in the world, it is an answer to the OP's question. Taking the time with solvent and a brush is the best way, a bore snake is the QUICKEST way.

-George

AK103K

This isnt an easy question, as there seems to be a lot of different ideas as to what "clean" is. Some actually "clean" their guns, while others "think" they clean their guns.

The only way I know to clean them, is to clean them. There is no "quick" way. If the patches dont come out "mostly" white, then the gun isnt clean. Its time and work, and I've yet to find a shortcut. I figure about two hours for the two pistols I usually shoot each week. Revolvers and rifles are usually a little longer.

I personally dont see the Bore Snake doing a good job. For a quick, get the loose crud out, OK, maybe, but its not getting the gun clean.