Is there a 40 cal Colt 1911?

bakon

Anyone ever see or hear of a small Colt, in 40 cal ,1911 style?

Like a Springfield EMP or a Kimber Ultra size but in 40.

michael t

none that I know of. Sorry I think 45 works fine no need for more recoil and smaller bullet. I understand a 9mm Defender is coming this year.

bakon

can get 40 for free at work if gun is BUG or off duty piece. Other cal allowed but no free ammo.

Ar15M4

I don't know of any. But that doesn't mean they don't have them.

I have seen .22lr, 9mm, and .45.

So if I may, with those calibers, why would you want to buy a .40 cal 1911?

spodwo

The .40 1911s are hard to find and some have been discountinued due to lack of sales. And they are very expensive...

STI VIP makes em - again around $1700.00. 3.9" barrel. Not too compact...

voyager4520

Les Baer made a double stack one that was featured in an issue of American Rifleman. It's not exactly a 1911 though, more "of the style of a 1911".

41mag10mm

STI Elektra - 3" barrel but looks like a full size frame. Available in 9mm, 40 and 45. Web site says it's designed for ladies:confused: Didn't look at the specs real close but I think all one would have to do is put some different stocks on it.

ScottRiqui

Like a Springfield EMP or a Kimber Ultra size but in 40.

Springfield makes the EMP in .40 S&W. I have one as my carry gun and except for some minor issues when it was new, it's been a great gun.

bluewater

I have a new Colt Delta Elite in 10MM and bought an aftermarket 40 S&W barrel from Bar-Sto. Different recoil spring set up but it uses the same magazines. It's a great shooter with the 10MM and the 40 S&W and is definately a keeper!

41mag10mm

I have a new Colt Delta Elite in 10MM and bought an aftermarket 40 S&W barrel from Bar-Sto. Different recoil spring set up but it uses the same magazines. It's a great shooter with the 10MM and the 40 S&W and is definately a keeper!

This is exactly what I've been thinking of doing. I have hundreds and hundreds of .40S&W brass and maybe a quarter of the 10mm. I spend more time at the range scrounging my 10mm brass than I do shooting.:mad:

Glad to hear it worked for you, now I can do it. :D

41mag10mm

Don't know if you were asking me, but I sent the owner of Fusion an email asking for advice on this project. All that's needed is a .40 S&W barrel, a matching bushing, then a replacement recoil spring. I'd get a reduced, standard and heavy wolff spring for the 40. There are drop in barrels and bushings from Bar Sto, but I would heed the advice I got. Send the slide to Fusion and have them mate the barrel to make sure it locks up correctly. Obviously this will cost a little more, but I'd rather have better accuracy potential.

Check Fusion parts here http://www.fusionfirearms.com/servlet/the-1911-Pistol-Barrels/Categories

45Gunner

I have a Kimber Stainless Pro Carry in .40SW which is the 1911 platform with a 4.25" barrel. Very accurate and a strong shooter.

bakon

Is it possible to replace the barrel of a New Agent or Defender with a .40 cal barrel? Or is it just a 10mm to 40 that will work?
What about the magazines?

41mag10mm

Is it possible to replace the barrel of a New Agent or Defender with a .40 cal barrel? Or is it just a 10mm to 40 that will work?
What about the magazines?

No can do, sorry. The breech face of the slide is cut to accomodate the base of either the 9mm case or 45 auto case. What makes the 10mm and 40 compatible with a barrel change is the breech face is the same. The same gun will also accomodate the .357 sig. Now this is not a universal truth per se. It's entirely possible to have a pistol chambered for the 10mm that will easily convert to .40 or .357, or one that is nothing but trouble. The only point being the conversion with a barrel change is possible.

PS - I may be wrong but the conversion would typically be from 10mm to .40 or .357, not the other way around without further work to the slide. Since the 10 is the longer of the three, the ejection port is longer and would naturally be cut to proper length in a 10mm pistol.

KRP

free ammo would be the only reason I'd go with .40 in the 1911. If I went down in caliber it'd be to the 38 super(nine +1).:D