Is there a 17cal. Rimfire tack driver?

Longshot4

I am wondering if any of these 17 rim fires can shoot 1/4" groups at 100yds. My 22 k hornet and 222 can on a good day. I really prefer a center fire but I don't want the sonic boom... I want to head shoot red squrrels at a good distance. Dose any one have any idea whare I should look?

riverratt

Like longranger stated the 17HMR is a very good round. pritty flat out to about 150yrd and is deffinetly capable of 1/4" groups on a calm day. I have used mine on squirls for years after the leaves fall. I quit useing the balistic tips because of the damage if you dont get the right angle but i found the CCI fmj to be prefect.
There are two issues you will have, both the 17HMR and the 17 mach2 are supersonic (at least i have never seen a subsonic load for them) so they do crack pritty good, the second issue is wind that light 17-20gr bullet has a noticable wind drift past 100yrd.

Winchester has a realatively new round out called the 17 super mag i think. Its a bit heavier bullet at higher velocity so it should buck the wind better, but im sure its alot louder.

Sierra280

1/4in group at 100yds is better than any rimfire I have (although my win 52 is no slouch). But I would guess the Anshutz .17HMR rifles would be what you are looking for. They are what the Olympic Biathlon team uses, with that really neat, super quick, Fortner action.

They say you can buy your way into the bullseye; I can't afford to be 'Anshutz accurate' just yet.

Last edited:

bamaranger

maybe

I do not own a .17 of any description.

But I have a Savage MK II tactical, with heavy barrel and accu-trigger, that is pretty fantastic out at 100 with several varieties of .22 lr ammo. The rifle is also made in .17.

The magazines stink.

But the rifle overall as a platform seems wonderfully accurate. If I were looking for a super accurate .17, I'd start there.

But 1/4" at 100, that's tight.

Longshot4

It sounds like the 17s shoot pretty accurate. Although how about that savage LR just what in terms of inches at 50 and 100 Yds. Can it do? That could be a not so rural squirrel gun. I never tried a fmj on small game. I don't care for the bombs going off mess either. But those bombs stop n drop. What about some of these devices to quiet the boom to a Long Rifle bang. Is there any one shooting a 17 Hornet I wonder how accurate they are. I like to think of being able to load my own incase the rim fires go away. I am always wanting to learn more about what I like. I appreciate all your help.

coldbeer

Anyone own or shoot the new Winchester 17 caliber rimfire round and rifles and are they accurate? It can shoot a 20 grain bullet 3000 fps which is impressive imo.

" to be perfectly honest...

0.25" "groups" consistently at 100 yards would IMO, be tough with most any 17 caliber rifle ( centerfires included ) unless you are calling 2-3 shots a "group"

I have an old Marlin bolt action 22, that I converted to 17 Mach 2 ( a 22 LR case necked down to 17 caliber ) with a barrel liner, & chamber reamer... 0.5" to 0.75" - 5 shot groups are not uncommon at 100 yards with it, in fact I shot a pidgin off the silo from approximately 100 yards, with one shot to the head... one thing the OP mentioned was subsonic, & that just isn't going to be possible with a 17 caliber firearm ( bb or pellet gun yes, but the Mach 2 is the smallest of the 17 caliber cartridges, & it's 3 times the speed of sound )... that speed is what adds to it's killing power... I use my Mach 2 for farm yard varmints, as even the slightest of twigs, grass, or weed, & the bullet self destructs, never a ricochet... we use ours a lot on coons the outside dog trees, & one well placed shot is all it takes for easy dispatch of animals as big as a large coon

if you are looking for subsonic, I think you need to go to a heavier bullet, in a larger caliber... try match loads in 22 LR

BTW, just so you know... my 17 caliber experience includes... 17 Mack 2, 17 K Hornet, 17 Fireball, & 17 Remington

loic

I have a marlin xt 17 hmr and I always wandered the group I could get with it. I think I'll try that tonigh after work (if its not crazy windy)
I really like this rifle/round, very easy to shot, no recoil.
The cci are at 2500 fps I believe

Mobuck

My Ruger 77/17 HMR will shoot clover leafs with some lots of ammo and 1.5" groups with other lots(100 yards). Three holes touching @ 100 yards should be good enough for squirrels. The downside is you have to test fire every box to see if they shoot .25" or 1.5".

HKFan9

I had a Marlin 17HMR with Heavy barrel and laminate stock (before the buy out) with a cheapo BSA 6-24x scope on it. With CCI Hollowpoints or Hornady Ballistic tips, it would hold 5 shots in the size of a dime at 100yards, and that was with the terrible factory trigger.

If I were to do it again I was purchase a CZ hands down.

Scorch

I think it will be hard to find any production rimfire rifle that will consistently shoot 1/4 MOA. That is a tall order for any rifle, let alone a rimfire sporter. That said, a friend of mine has a CZ 17HMR that shoots 1/2 MOA- 3/4 MOA, and a guy at the range had a 10-shot group that was right around 3/4" at 100 yds out of his Savage. I built a 17 HMR rifle on a Remington 580 action, and it shoots about 3/4 MOA pretty consistently. If you are willing to put the money into a rifle, look at the Cooper model 57 rifles. While they may not guarantee 1/4 MOA, a good piece of workmanship is always a good place to start.

riverratt

Longshot the FMJ bullets out of the 17 HMR seem to leave about the same holes as a .22 mini mag HP. All the critters i shot were drt except for the coyote, but he didnt go far either.

By the way make sure the squirl dont have a walnut in its mouth, if you hit the walnut first it kinda turns into a mini grenade.:D

loic

I went shooting a bit this evening, of course I forgot to take a mat to shoot from the prone position so I end up shooting from the hood of my jeep.... I had cci and remington ammo, the cci seem to open a bit more at 100 meters, it was a bit windy (like always in the desert) and the wind keep changing directions.
uhypy6yg.jpg
uzarurer.jpg
ama8yzu8.jpg

Here two 5 shots group with the remington ammo
duje3ypy.jpg

And here with cci ammo. The line on those 2 targets are 5 mm apart, we can see where I messed up.
hahuhaje.jpg

ubere3up.jpg

Sierra280

^^^laying on the ground sucks. When my neighbors were tearing out their carpet I went over and asked for a strip of it. Sure beats the hard rocky ground.