Is the "SigPro" series a complete flop?

Futo Inu

Man, they're the most aesthetically pleasing "modern design" pistol I've ever seen - beautiful, but after the initial marketing hype when they were released, you never hear anyone talk about them - only the 220, 225, 226, 228, 229.... Are they just the answer to a question no one asked?

NMGlocker

I think the SigPro flopped because it does not fully utilize all ther positive properties of polymer pistols.
The SigPro is much, much too large for a 10 round polymer pistol. To me the Walther P99 is a better looking, better feeling, pistol, designed around polymers strengths. If the SigPro was considerably thinner, had a bit shorter grip, was lighter, was just all around smaller, then it would have greater appeal. Also, if Sig had designed the Pro around a P229 magazine, then the option of 13-15 round magazines would have added tremendously to its appeal. The SigPro just does not do anything that the Sig Classics can't do better. Sig dropped the ball in not designing for the non-LEO market, because the LEO market is well served by the Classic Sigs, and Glock.
IMO of course.
:D

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Greeting's All,

With a growing interest among some shooter's, I really
never could make myself get excited about the polymer frame
Sig-Pro series. It could be because I've been around the Sig "P"
series "Classic's" too long? At any rate, I've never owned or
even shot a Sig Pro; so, I guess I'm the wrong person to
make a judgemental call as to the Sig-Pro's fan fare.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
If you read a lot about cars and such... Mercedes E series does get much press either. But it wasn't a flop.

The Sig Pro is a fine little pistol for what it is. There are some police departments that issue it as the standard sidearm.

If given to me, I wouldnt turn it down. But if I had the money, and wanted a SIG, I'd admittedly purchase a "Classic" series.

Malpaso

A former girlfriend of mine has a 2340. That gun is a tackdriver. I fired a 10 shot group offhand at 25 feet with it into a ragged hole. I have no complaints.

Blue Duck357

A local Sheriffs office adopted them 2 years ago, offer from Sig and Glock came in at the same price. The Sheriff asked his men which they wanted-Sig won the vote. A few of the Deputies are real shooters and I've yet to hear a complaint about the gun, so I assume it can't be all bad.

I think it just came out so far after the Glock it just kind of looks like the answer to a question somebody asked 10 years earlier and nobody really cares about anymore.

weldonjr2001

As NMGlocker mentioned above, I think the lack of high (or regular) capacity mags for us civilians definitely keeps interest down, especially for the 2009. I bought one and like it a lot, but every now and then I look at it and think "This IS kind of big for a 10-shot 9mm". But I'm real fond of the trigger, the sights, the way it feels in my hand, and 10 or 11 rounds of 9mm +P isn't too bad. I may acquire a 2340 sometime soon, because I like the sigpro, and the price is a couple hundred dollars less than the P229, which is the only other SIG I have any interest in at all.

croyance

Are they just the answer to a question no one asked?
Nobody asked for a Sig they could afford? The difference of a few hundred dollars is signifigant for a lot of people.
They work well and are accurate. For a .40 S&W I am really not that concerned about about capacity. It doesn't go back together as easily as other Sigs, but this is not an issue with those used to the 1911.
I think the problem with the SigPro is that it is made by SIG. People wanted more from the name. If it was made by Taurus it would have sold better.

petej88

I don't think they are a flop. I've had two of them to test and I found them to be excellent guns. Excellent quality at $200 less than the P229, which is another excellent gun.

defox

I really liked this pistol when it first came out but after handling one I was surprised at how big it was for a 10-shot pistol. Its size puts it in the full-size pistol segment but higher capacity weapons such as Glocks, Berettas, Sig Classics gets the preference. Sig realised this and launched a compact Sigpro in Europe; I have not seen this compact in America.

See attachment.

Attachments

• spc2009-1.jpg
    spc2009-1.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 176

SIGarmed

Nope not a flop at all. Most newly designed guns are going to have ten round magazines for obvious reasons no matter what the size of the gun.
There's nothing wrong with the SIG Pro its and excellent gun and very tough too. What other polymer gun lets you have a choice of more than one size grip? Its also got a built in light rail which is another plus but its not a standardized rail so thats my only complaint. Its definately worth the money.

jar

I have the 2009 and the 2340 with both barrels and just plain love them. I also have quite a few of the Classics so I've had a chance to compare them.

Folks, the 2000 series is rightly called the Pro. This is not a pistol for just anybody. It's for the professional, one who can really appreciate a tack driver :D. Let the plebians buy their GLOCKs and the Hoi Ploi their Classics. The Pro is for the serious shooter. It is super accurate, reliable as a rock, good looking, and priced right. My SiGPros have a better trigger than even my Classics. Every time I take it to the range, I just end up grinning.

Does the lack of hicaps bother me? Nope. Just carry another mag. Or, if you get screwed up and forgetfull (as you do when you get as old as I am) you'll take your 2340 mags with you by mistake. When you get to the range and realize what you've so stupidly done, what is there to do. Why load 12 rounds in those puppies and enjoy.

my 226 and 2009.

standard.jpg

my HS2000 and my 2340

standard.jpg

VVG

You don't here people talk about them here because most of the postings are by enthusiasts and collectors. Two friends have bought them and love them. What makes you thik they're a flop?

Destructo6

The SIGPro 2340 has both the .40 S&W and .357 SIG barrels available. SIG lists them at ~$200, but I understand the actual price is closer to $140.

In .40 or .357, the ten round mag isn't a big deal since the LEO mags are, what, 12 rounds? For a 10rnd 9mm, it's a bit big.

I shot one at the range not long ago. For a pistol I've never fired previously, I did quite well with it.

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Sales-wise, the big problem in the 'States is that SIG hasn't spent a dime marketing them to the civilian shooter market.

They're fairly commonly seen in "blue line" configuration, as they're SIG's attempt to regain police department market share lost due to the sizable price difference between their P-series guns and the Austrian Juggernaut.

AKurat

Looks nice but serves no real purpose in their line of pistols. I think that they were just testing the waters to see if it would take off...Their 'classic' design has alot of years on it you know...Perhaps they were just looking at offering up something new. But to answer your question, yes, IMO the SigPro is a flop.

NMGlocker

I really wanted to like the SigPro, I was even ready to buy a 2009 sight-unseen. Then I actually got my grubby little paws on one, in person they are larger than I anticipated, and the 9mm just isn't very size efficient for a 10 rounder. I think its a much better weapon in .357sig, The grip was nice, and the trigger was typical Sig, fantastic.
Perhaps if I too was old and senile and accidently bought some 2340 mags that held 12 rounds of 9mm, the SigPro 2009 might be a nice pistol. I wonder how reliable those 2340 mags are with 9mm's?
:D