Is the S&W lifetime warranty..

The Meatman

really lifetime? I have an older 686 (it's stamped 1987 inside the grips), and it tends to bind on full mag loads. I can shoot aluminum Blazer .357 in it just fine, but I get one, maybe two .357 brass rounds and it's bound up. It eats the heck out of .38 loads, brass or otherwise. Thoughts? Suggestions?

3-fitty-7

members here have said they were told by smith that it is only 20 years... i haven't needed to find out for myself yet tho.

rbmcmjr

members here have said they were told by smith that it is only 20 years... i haven't needed to find out for myself yet tho

No. The issue is that the lifetime warranty was only placed in effect within the last 20-odd years. Presumably, anything that is currently being built will be covered forever, or until they stop making spares....

kamerer

Two disparate things here:

1) I believe rbmcmjr is correct. As I have heard it, S&W's lifetime warranty started with models in the spring of 1989. This is what I have reliably heard; you should call S&W to verify. I do not believe your gun is covered.

2) The early 686 models were subject to a factory recall because of primer flow-back caused by an improperly sized and fitted firing pin bushing. You should also call to see if you have one of these models. This is an open-ended recall, regardless of the Lifetime Warranty. If your model is affected, they will send you a shipping label and return the gun to you so modified. Look in the yoke cut of your gun and see what it is stamped. If it is 686 without a dash, or "686-1" and there is no "M" stamped in there (for "Modified" for the recall), your gun may be one of the affected guns. I think 686-2's were covered, also. I know my 686-4 is not involved.

Not all early 686's do this. I have one (a 686 "no dash" from around 1984), and it works flawlessly, so I have not bothered to send it back. Should it act up at some point or it need a "free round trip" to Springfield for some other purpose, I can call upon that recall.

Call S&W CS tomorrow and give them your S/N and ask about the recall and the problems you are having.

kamerer

Hey Meatman, glad to help. Let us know how it gets resolved. If I am wrong I would like to know instead of passing on incorrect information in the future.

j-a-r

There was a recall on the older L frame Smiths a few years ago regarding that issue of the revolver binding or locking up with full power magnum loads. Call them up with your serial number is part of the recall. As I recall they will retrofit it for free and ship it free as well.

J-a-r