Is the RUGER 10-22 like the most modifyable rifle in history ???

PetreTG

:D

I just picked up a Bull Barrel version of the 10-22 and I cannot believe the variety and myriad of customizing options for these things.

I found a kit to turn two of them into a Gatling gun :D

The Ruger 10-22 is the Harley Davidson of Rimfire rifles!!! :D

So .... question ... what's the best stock for one of these for the money ?

hoytinak

Depends on what you want to do with the 10/22. For stocks Hogue, Tapco and Bulter Creek are pretty popular.

Full-choke

I have a Fajen Stock, very nice. It's fully adjustable, thumbhole...I like it a lot. Too bad I am selling the rifle with out a shot fired for other wonderful expenses :(...I always liked the looks of that rifle. Hogue makes some nice stocks, their over-molded is nice for the 10/22.

F-C

homefires

If it aint broke , Don't fix it?

Most dependable semi auto .22 I ever had. Not the most accurate Rifle I had or have BUT ! Good enough for anything I would wish or need to do! All kinds of keen toys to buy. I stopped with the Butler creek folding stock and a few high cap mags. You can butter them up! You can change the color! You can make them into a RAT ASSASUN weapon! They work just fine for me the way they come. I have a S.S. Comemarative With a 4x9 scope. I will not alter that one.

I can shoot the Goonies off the Rats with that one!:D

Picher

I've accurized several 10-22s and been able to get some pretty fantastic results without replacing a lot of parts. I'm partial to both the Deluxe stock that doesn't have a barrel band and the target stock.

The metallurgy, considering the cost has been fantastic, though lately, the receivers aren't as finely crafted as rifles made 10 years ago. Still, they can be made to shoot very well, especially with relatively inexpensive bull barrels by Green Mountain and others. Mine has a particularly good Shilen that has made groups under 0.10" at 50 yards. Not often I grant you, but were talking some pretty rarified air for semi-auto .22LRs.

I've written some tips and tricks to accurize 10-22s that are in the RimfireCentral.com Tips and Tricks Forum (page 2) that have been read by about 20,000 people. Many folks who've used them to accurize their rifles report excellent results. Still, there are more ways than one to skin a cat.

Picher

Last edited:

garryc

Ruger just came out with a 10-22 pistol called the challanger. That raises a question. Given that the T/C Contender and Encore can be converted to rifle or pistol on the same frame legally, would the same apply to other firearms? The 10-22 barrel is easy to take off. How about the AR- 15 by changeing the upper and getting rid of the butt stock.

tuck2

There is not a part that you can not change out on a Ruger 10-22. Mine has a tuned up trigger , bull barrel, and a varmint thumb hole stock. There are custom made rifles that shoot little 50 yard groups. A lot of the 10-22 fans hang out at www.rimfirecentral.com I have not gotten an AR 223 but since they now can be had in other rounds and there are claims that they will shoot 1/2 inch groups I may have to try out a AR.

garyl43

The 10/22 is also like a Harley in that you can build a complete 10/22 from the aftermarket without using a single Ruger part.

Hmmm, gives me an idea for a TV show, maybe like a grumpy father :mad:/shop owner and his lazy sons :confused:/employees having to build custom one off 10/22's on rediculous deadlines :eek: for large corporate anniversaries :cool: who could have given them plenty of notice :rolleyes:? :D

blume357

I'd have to say the 10/22 is second to the AR-15

The AR-15 has to be the barbie doll of guns...

But the 10/22 is often a little cheaper to modify and a good bit cheaper to shoot for sure....

It's hard to believe you can even buy a non factory receiver for a 10/22 along with everything else and end up with a completely alien rifle...... a non ruger 10/22. Now that would be a project, I wonder what it would cost?

GLK

I would say so without a doubt. Simple economics would lead me to believe that it is far a head of the AR platform in numbers of those modified. Of course I could be wrong. In any case I like my 1022s in several flavors and have lost count of how many I have owned. I sure wish I would have kept them all, oh well. 2nd gun photo is a semi modded 1022Magnum, blued with a black hogue over molded stock VQ extractor extended mag release and a harris bipod.

DSC01527_1.JPG

DSC01911.JPG

DogsCrowRabbit%20046.jpg

9Toys4.jpg

steveno

It had been a long time since I had a 10/22 so when Cabela's had a new Ruger 10/22 with the bull barrel and Hogue stock for $330 I had to buy it. I put a Burris 3 - 9 rimfire/airgun scope on it. Federal automatch and CCI velocitor will shoot into groups the size of a nickle at 30 yards. it was 20 degrees out so it will probably shoot better when it is warmer and I'm more comfortable. I had forgotten how much fun they are to shoot.