**Is the new Mauser M2 pistol any good?**

magnum_force

I am thinking of getting the new Mauser M2 pistol in 45. They are made by Sig Sauer. Is it more accurate than the Sig Sauer classic 226 or sig pros? How does it compare to the rest of the sigs? How much do they cost?

MPower

I have not seen or handled the Mauser but from the reports I have seen it does not seem to compare very favorably with the (admittedly more expensive) Sigs. There are some issues with quality that suggest that its service life will be relativly short. Do your research and its just my opinion, but I dont see what the Mauser offers that a lightly used Sig 229 can't deliver.

whoops you want 45...well there is the 245. If you have a compact pistol there is a guy on 1911forum.com wanting to trade his 220.

hksigwalther

Had an M2. Overall, the quality of the gun was very good. Handling when shooting was average. The recoil was actually very mild for .45ACP due mainly, IMO, the very wide grip that spreads out the force over a larger area on your hand. The heavy slide also dampens it quite a bit. Despite its very wide grip it actually fit very well in my average sized hands.

For accuracy, it did not perform as well as the P220 I was shooting it against. It could be the I was not accustomed to the guns longer DA pull and less crisp SA pull. I did not keep it long enough to overcome this possibility. The other reasons I did not keep it were the following :

The goofy rear mounted safety.
The additional steps for disassembly. (The lever on the left side just above the grip needs to be raised to lower the sear out of the way of the slide.)
The high pull force on the slide needed to fully retract it to the rear.
The proper alignment of the rotating barrel lugs for proper reassembly.
No gain in firepower as compared to the P220 despite its much wider grip and very small decrease in height dimension.

I had previously NOT been partial to rotating bolt handguns as I felt they would never be as accurate as modified Brownings. The feel of the M2 in my hand, however, was the major factor in me buying it. As mentioned, it actually felt good in my hands. Traded it in towards a Walther P22 First Edition. Paid $400 for it.

If I had to do it over again, I would have gone with a P245 or (recently put onto my list) a 1911 (never thought I would have gone back to this from bad experiences in the past).

(Editted due to the fact that my typing cannot keep up with my thinking.)

[Edited by hksigwalther on 05-20-2001 at 10:21 PM]