Is the Mini 14 accurate???????

P99AS9

I'm looking around at non-AR .223's and I might consider buying a Ruger Mini 14. I've heard mixed opinions about this from friends, but is the Mini 14 accurate right out-of-the-box? Thanks for your input.

hoytinak

Mine will do minute-of-jackrabbit for a while till the barrel gets too hot then it goes to minute-of-wheretheheckdidthatonego. :eek:

ZX10Aviator

probably if you get the heavy barrel one, I have heard that the newer ones are better than the older ones, as I have an older one and I have 3-4" groups at 60yards :rolleyes:

ammoeater

I would say 2-3 MOA is about what can be expected. The main problem I've experienced is stringing the point of impact as the barrel heats up with extended firing.

bedlamite

MINI14.jpg

nate45

I always try my best to provide accurate information, I usually only comment on firearms I have actual experience with. I also don't like running down or slighting makes or models of firearms, at least not without just cause.

I have owned one Mini 14 and I currently have a Mini 30. My experience with them has so far been that I have not gotten a group less than 2 MOA @ 100 yards with one.

I'm sure that someone will come along and claim theirs puts them all in under an inch at 300 or whatever, but that has not been my experience.

In my opinion the Minis should be relegated to plinker status and are not serious target or combat weapons.

So to answer your question, again in just my opinion, no they are not very accurate.

Let the flames begin.

Haz

I have a Mini-14 Target (had to get the Hogue stock, as the thumbhole laminate would make it an assault weapon in Cali). It shoots 1" groups at 100yds no problem, even with a hot barrel. That harmonic stabilizer actually works as advertised...

JonnyReb

If i was looking for a rifle capable of accurate semi auto fire, i wouldn't even consider the mini's. It takes a good deal of tuning(and money)to make them consistently accurate.

I have had both and personally found the .223 frustrating as i couldn't use the rifle to match the rounds long range potential. I've traded the 14 for the 30, and topped with an aimpoint, it's my short range/heavy brush deer gun. The 7.62x39 is not capable of long range knock down power and the aimpoint gets vague around 100 yards so i expect nothing more than the great handling and rough and tumble reliability that it offers and don't use it where longer shots may be needed. I love it for what it is though and would trade it for no other auto i can think of to be used for the same purpose. J.R.

DoctorXring

Is a Mini-14 accurate

Compared to a slingshot - Yes.

Compared to all of my other rifles - NO.

I have had a love-hate relationship with the
Mini-14 since it first came out. Neat gun.
Have owned 4 of them, including TWO of the
newest models, always hoping that the things
would shoot accurately. Not yet.

Mannlicher

my 188 Series Ranch Rifle is fairly accurate. Stock, it would hold about three inches at 100 yards, even when the barrel heated up.
I added a muzzle brake, and that has helped. I am getting two inch groups now.

TPAW

Not really. But then again, what do you consider accurate? Can it hit an elephant at 50 yards,yes. :rolleyes:

Hunter0924

Defining accuracy is more of your percperation of accuracy.
Is it a tack driving benchrest rifle? No.
Will it shoot 2 MOA? Yes.
So it is up to you to decide if that is accurate. In my opinion it is a moderately accurate rifle.

pbrktrt

it is a very reliable semi auto. they are mostly pretty accurate for their designed use. they can be made much more so for not a big investment. check out PerfectUnion.com for any questions you might have on mods or accuracy improvements.

Swampghost

I have two of the 180-(early models). Both have been flawless in operation with everything that I have put through them and put them through. Back when my eyes were better, I could keep everything inside of 3" @100 yds. with the original sights, good enough to drop a deer.

Nnobby45

My Ranch version with Leupold Vari X III, 1.5 - 5X will put rds in the chest area of IDPA target as fast as you can at 200 yds on 1.5X (and real big X hairs). Sounds like good combat accuracy to me.

My standard version is as good as the crude sight system. Excellent 100 yds and in defensive weapon. And much easier to use with the synthetic stock I got from Ruger-- now that I can actually get down far enough to easily see the sights. Neither rifle ever hiccups.

It's accuracy is as good as the most prolific, and some say best, combat rifle in the world. Whatayawant?:cool:

If I didn't own two, already, I'd get the new Ranch SS (Stainless Synthetic).

Ruger4570

I have bought and sold 3 Mini-14's so far in the neverending search for one that could shoot as well as one of my cheap ole 22 LR's. I have a pistol I can get better groups at 100 yards than my mini 14.
I will say, they are dependable and mine have digested and spit out everything I put through them.
To me I suppose that if I have to spend all that much money for a 223 rifle, I would expect at least "reasonable" accuracy, 3 or 4 inch groups with carefully assembled handloads ain't reasonable.
I cannot believe Ruger hasn't solved or fixed the accuracy problem, but then again, they are probably selling all they can make anyways.
I know mine is for sale and I will put the money into an AR where I am almost assured a rifle capable of grouping 1/2 or less than the mini.

zzbruno

I have an NRA Model purchased about three weeks ago. I've fired just under 300 rounds through it since then. It is light, compact, durable, reliable and I expect it will be easy to maintain. It is not a tackdriver, but it is also not inaccurate. I have not noticed in decline in accuracy from a hot barrel, but I generally don't run a lot of rounds through it quickly on an extended basis. I don't know what it'll shoot from a bench rest, but I know I can pick it up, sight it, and put 20 rounds on a 1' square metal plate at 100 yards in about 6-8 seconds. That's gotta be worth sumthin, right?

My other .223 is a Tikka T3 lite. I like it but the Mini is more fun to shoot. Neither are as accurate as my Remington 788 in .243 that I got as a high school graduation present.

I would like to scope the Mini for shots out to 200 yards--mostly varmint work. Any recommendations?