Is the medium/large frame revolver obsolete for concealed carry?

2damnold4this

Is a medium frame or large frame revolver obsolete for concealed carry? Are there advantages a medium or large frame revolver might have over a semi auto? I like my J frames for concealed carry but does the medium or large frame revolver have a role in concealed carry?

*Inspired by a thread on another board

Posted by 2damnold4this:
Is a medium frame or large frame revolver obsolete for concealed carry? Are there advantages a medium or large frame revolver might have over a semi auto? I like my J frames for concealed carry but does the medium or large frame revolver have a role in concealed carry?
I would characterize a Colt Paterson as "obsolete", but a double action recover with a swing-out cylinder and simultaneous ejection would be highly effective, even though the first ones came out in 1892.

They are bulkier than a semi-autos and and harder to conceal for many of us.

Some of them only hold six cartridges. My S&W 686+ contains seven.

It does not fit my needs for concealed carry, but if there were circumstances in which I could reasonably dress around it, I would not hesitate to strap it on.

With suspenders.

I will readily admit that a 1911 would probably be a better choice most of the time. That is a very old design, too.

Many of us recognize the advantages of a more modern firearm with higher capacity.

Real Gun

What seems to be obsolete is good grooming, good taste, and reasonable tailoring quality. If you dress to conceal, the question becomes academic. Admittedly, ones circumstances can require real compromises short of being unarmed. I just think that if serious concealed carry is a priority, you probably dress differently than others and have some challenges in your shopping for clothing.

Doyle

Even before the advent of modern super-light autos and snubnosed revolvers, medium/large framed revolvers were never hugely popular for concealed carry. There is only so much you can do to conceal one of those things. When I strap my 2 3/4" Security Six on my belt, I know that it is going to stick out. It's bulky and heavy - I know it's going to show. That is why it only gets open-carry duty (In the woods. I don't open carry in public).

Grant D

With the shirts I wear, I can carry my K frame 4" barreled Model 19, or my N framed 3 1/2" Model 27 just as easy as my J frames.
But I also wear suspenders with all of them.:)

Deaf Smith

Is the medium/large frame revolver obsolete for concealed carry?

Not where it is cold enough to wear a sports coat.

Now in hot Texas summers it might not be a good pick but fine under a light jacket.

Advantages?

Six POWERFUL shots. Six for sure shots. Simplicity of operation. And if you run out of ammo they make good saps.

While I'm a Glock man, I've packed my 3 inch GP 100 'Canadian' .357 and my 2 1/2 inch S&W K and L frames. But I do find my 3 inch 625 .45 acp a mite to much in the summer!

Deaf

I built a custom Ruger stainless single snubbie in 45 Colt to carry once in a while... & have carried other "big" guns... there is no doubt they are tougher to carry... the full sized cylinder is "thick" 1 4" barrel even on a high ride holster can be challenging for someone who doesn't wear a sport jacket...

I still carry them on occasion, but when I do, It becomes plainly evident that my little TCP or LCR is much easier to conceal & are much lighter on the belt being there all day :)

2damnold4this

The revolver's ability to shoot powerful cartridges could be an advantage for someone carrying concealed. Someone living in an area where large animals could be a threat might choose a .44 magnum or larger cartridge for concealed carry.

Posted by Doyle:
Even before the advent of modern super-light autos and snubnosed revolvers, medium/large framed revolvers were never hugely popular for concealed carry. There is only so much you can do to conceal one of those things.
That's the real point, and the question of "obsolescence" is secondary.

hartcreek

Real Gun Nailed it. I used to carry a large frame under each arm. I still do if I feel the need and you walking up to me would not be able to tell that I was packing eight pounds of steel under my arms.

Sgt127

When the average cop issue gun was a 4" K frame, most officers chose a 2" 36 for their off duty. (replace a 6 series for either one of those once stainless became more popular)

Although a few Officer chose to carry their duty gun off duty, the J frame (or, slightly less common Detective Special) was considered enough gun off duty and, a status symbol of being a detective.

Then the 3" guns became a bit popular. Often not because it did both jobs well, but, you only had to buy one gun. (NYPD as an example)

And, the FBI issued the 2 1/2" model 10 and then the 3" 13 for their agents.

A K frame is alot easier to shoot than a J frame, even with a short barrel. Just more to hold onto and index. A 3" is a great compromise.

Andy Blozinski

The cylinder of the Rhino is pared down to a hexagon to decrease its width. The only problem I have concealing the 4" barrel model with the full sized grip is the grip.

Posted by Sgt127:
When the average cop issue gun was a 4" K frame, most officers chose a 2" 36 for their off duty.
Many whom I knew carried a Colt Cobra or Detective Special, for that "all important sixth shot".

A K frame is alot easier to shoot than a J frame, even with a short barrel. Just more to hold onto and index. A 3" is a great compromise.
Yes indeed.

Nick_C_S

L-frame S&W 686+ 3" bbl

I cooler weather, when I can put on a windbreaker here in sunny California, I carry this. . .

686-3inch_zps08c99226.jpg

Sgt127

Many whom I knew carried a Colt Cobra or Detective Special, for that "all important sixth shot".

I would tend to agree but, around here (the Dallas area) S&W reigned. Although Dallas was allowed to carry pretty much whatever they wanted, I'll bet there were 200 model 19's and 66's for every Python. Model 25-5's were the hot item for awhile too. All the LE dealers here carried Smiths, and, they were much more reasonable than the Colts! Smith on duty? Smith off duty and BUG.

I think it's a regional thing. East coast, a lot more Colts seemed the norm.

Model12Win

I don't know what you'd consider a Charter Arms Bulldog .44 special, but it's my EDC and I like it's compact size and devastating manstopping power.

Deaf Smith

The 'all important' shot is the first.

Yes I'd love it if my 640 held one more round but it sure ain't the sixth, or tenth or fifteenth shot that is the most 'important' one.

And while I'm a Glock man, my Ruger 3 inch 'Canadian' .357 I would have no qualms carrying.

Deaf

lamarw

Always has been for me as far as an "on my person" carry. Otherwise, concealed carry in my glove boxes or on one of my boats is a different story.