Is the CZ75 SA the best SA 9mm for under 1k? BHP excluded.

davidsoc

Hey all ive been tossing around all the options for a 9mm pistol for a LONG time now.

I gave the polymer pistols a try, checked out the xd's, kahrs, glocks sigmas and m&p but none made a real impression on me.

My favorite pistols and what im most used to are 1911's so im going to keep it SA only for my 9mm...but don't want a 1911 in 9mm (just personally seems wrong to have a 1911 in anything but .45)

Ive fondled the regular 75b and love the ergos so im guessing the 75 SA will be just as nice in the hand.

What other options are out there for a SA only 9mm for under 1k?

Im excluding the BHP because they are just too pricey for me.

JimmyR

As a CZ lover, I can say that from a comfort stand, there aren't many that compare. I've shot a few, handled a few more, and from my experience, your best bet aside from the CZ is the Beretta PX4 full size. I paid $525 OTD for mine new. I personally got the DAO only model, since I wasn't a fan of the external saftey.

If you like the CZ-75SA, you might also enjoy a good 1911 chambered in 9mm (I think RIA makes one, and they tend to be under $500-600).

WVsig

No any 1911 in 9mm will have a better trigger than a stock CZ even with the SA trigger but you have excluded that from consideration.

You have also excluded the second best 9mm in SA which is the BHP which for under a grand you could score a used gun and have it tuned up for less than $1000 IMHO which would also yield a better pistol than the CZ IMO.

But since these are not options the CZ is a good SA setup. :D

Pilot

You can certainly get a CZ trigger to be very, very good, but yes it will need a bit of work or some drop in parts which are available. I would start with the steel framed SP-01 Shadow, or one of its variants and go from there. It isn't necessary to just stick with the SA version, but if that's what you want, go for it.

Pistola Pedro

I'm also considering the SA. I had a Trojan 1911 in 9mm that I absolutely loved, but am wanting to have something that is smaller and works for ccw that also happens to work with the full size holster.
I'm thinking about the CZ 75 SA and a 2075 RAMI as a tandem. Not 100% on it yet, but it's what I'm thinking. However, I'll repeat what others have said again and tell you that a 1911 in 9mm can be an awesome thing to behold.

RedBowTies88

CZ is the best in every way except the trigger, mine has a very positive engaugement. Or at least it did. It doesn't take much to make the trigger awesome and then it's perfect.

ferrarif1fan

You might also check out the Taurus PT92's. These pistols are of course Taurus copies of Beretta 92's. But the thing that I love about them is the frame mounted safety/decocker. Pressing it down decocks the pistol. But if you lift the safety lever up with the hammer back, you're essentially cocked-and-locked, for a single action first shot. I've got the stainless version and just picked up a Ciener .22 conversion kit for it. I really love that pistol!

Robert

davidsoc

Does anyone know about the charles daly bhp? i hear they are affordable but ive never seen one around...that would be an option

mrray13

I had a Charles Daly 1911, that I gave my son for graduating. I've played with a few Charles Daly shotguns, have yet to have a bad experience with any of them. I'd wager the BHP from Daly would be just as good. Definitely worth a serious look/feel/range trip.

FALPhil

I can understand why some folks would prefer a Beretta 92 or clone. However, for me, the 92 was just slightly too large. The grip geometry on the CZ lends itself easy one-handed operation for me, and frankly, I can shoot the CZ better and faster than I can the Beretta.

As a comparison, I find that the large frame EAA Witness (steel) and the Beretta 92/M9 feel about the same. Given a choice between the two, I would still take the Witness.

In today's world there are probably many production steel handguns that approach or equal the CZ, but I do not think that there are any which are better.

Why not check out the PT 92? Personal preference, experience related,etc?
check out is fine, but it's not a single action only pistol like the OP wanted.

i personally don't care for taurus. that one isn't terrible, tho.

thedudeabides

I always say BHP, M9/92, CZ75, P226 in the same sentence.

EAA clones aren't terrible, neither are the Taurus clones.

I had one of each over the years, and kept returning to the Hi-Power.

Wreck-n-Crew

Cool, gotcha. didn't catch the sa part and that is subject for sure. What I like a
bout the 92 is the open slide design.

Last edited:

manta49

Cool, gotcha. didn't catch the sa part and that is subject for sure. What I like a
bout the 92 is the open slide design.

True but it also leads to a weaker slide than other designs. The 92 has had its problems in that regard.