Is the CZ 75 Forward Magazine Holster a Foregrip?

dakota.potts

I was looking at this and noticed that they included it only on fully automatic versions: http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/ottonsure/CZ75FullAuto.jpg

Does anybody know if the ATF has made a statement of whether or not this is considered a foregrip? I know putting a vertical foregrip on a pistol classifies it as an AOW, but isn't this just an odd place to put a magazine?

I guess what I'm asking is, has there been an ATF statement to allow or deny this, or would somebody need to contact them before putting one on a handgun?

dakota.potts

I do know that it's against the law to add a vertical foregrip, and that there's a specific ruling that a certain Magpul Angled Foregrip doesn't count as re-classifying the weapon.

So I'm curious if adding a magazine vertically to the rail is considered a foregrip (or, the real question, would it mean it's no longer "designed to be fired with one hand") or is it just an odd place to put a magazine that, sure, you could hold on to if you wanted?

Walt Sherrill

The CZ in question doesn't have a RAIL. It has a specially-modified frame that accomodates the mag used as a grip. There must be some special little device that holds the mag, etc.

Beretta offers a similar weapon to LEO agencies around the world, too. The Glock 18, which I had a chance to shoot some years back, can be a handful, so a grip makes sense for a pistol that can be full-auto.

That, however, doesn't address the basic question as to whether a rail-mounted mag used as a grip is legal...

Last edited:

40CalGuy

in Arizona, almost anything is legal. :D

it would be good to get a picture of the pistol sans pistol grip magazine in place. to accurately reproduce this, you'd have to order a 6" barrel for the CZ 75 platform and either get it ported or have it ported.

armoredman

It quite literally doesn't matter in this case - the CZ-75 full auto is an NFA firearm already, so adding a forward pistol grip to it is already completely legal. It's already on the National Registry, so do what ever you want...if you can find one for sale in the US. I think there might be 20 or so, maybe not that many, fully transferable examples. Any imported after can have any accessories they want, including pistol grip, because they are all in government armories, and the NFA rules don't apply there.
As for civilian semi auto pistols that are NOT on the National Registry - no vertical pistols grips. SO FAR, the Magpul Angled Foregrip seems to be an OK accessory for pistols, per ATFE, but I'd be careful with that one, as ATFE changes their minds often.

Last edited:

Walt Sherrill

I've never really understood the proper use or place for a full-auto handgun. Recoil is a bigger issue than you'd think, if my experience with a Glock 18 is typical.

If these weapons were very practical, I think Special Ops teams and Elite police force unit (like the FBI Hostage Rescue Team) would make more use of them than they do.

A sub-machine gun is typically easier to use/handle and will generally have better/larger magazines than full-auto handguns, while small machine guns will pack a much more potent punch.

Last edited:

Walt Sherrill

But for civilians there's not really a good path to own many subguns so these are fun

I know that was said in jest, and agree with the humorous point you're making. That said, the legal hoops you have to jump through are the same, and finding a full-auto pistol may actually be harder and not a lot cheaper.

The ammo might be cheaper, though.

dakota.potts

I didn't mean the full auto pistol, I meant decking out the semi automatic pistol with the forward magazine holster (anybody have an answer on that yet), extended magazine, and extended/ported barrel. It's close enough to be fun at the range.