Is the AK74 as reliable as the AKM.

281 Quad Cam

I'm trying to trade my USP for something and have recently started thinking about AK's seriously.

I like the ballistics of the smaller round. Recoil is much less significant, you can carry more of the rounds, and with ammo prices what they are - the 5.45x39 is selling for the same prices or less than 7.62x39.

But is it as reliable as the famed AKM it replaced?

I know it's essentially the same rifle, but does the ammo or actual execution result in something less reliable than the AKM? Or can I expect it to be pretty much the most dependable rifle out there using Wolf ammo?

Any other differences I should know about? Any countries I should stay away from because they don't chrome the barrels or something?

Thanks.

HorseSoldier

Reliability should be the same. I find the 74 to be a bit more accurate than a 7.62x39 AK, but that's probably because the round has a better trajectory. (Or it might be that I've shot some really cruddy AKMs along the way, but the only 5.45mm AKs I've shot were pretty new/nice.)

As far as nationality, the Polish ones seem nice.

KCB

Accuracy basically the same? No way the 5.45 is much much more accurate than the 7.62x39. Now the 7.62 is better at penetrating hard surfaces but I think that is one of the few places it shines over the 5.45. Plus the ammo is quite a bit cheaper right now for the 5.45 (If you can find the deals).

As far as reliability. Its still an AK, you most likely won't have any malfunctions and if you do it probably easy to fix.

281 Quad Cam

I submit this youtube video for your viewing pleasure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxqgOiq6Fz0&NR=1

Cliff's notes : Man stays moving while rapid firing 210 rounds through his AK-74. At one point he does get a malfunction but seems to sort it out pretty quickly.

What strikes me about this video is the lack of recoil, especially when compared to the AK-47, but even compared to my own AR-15. An AK putting out this kind of accurate fire is exciting to me.

I hope this doesn't strike anyone as stupid but I'd be interested in putting some better sights on it. Maybe a ghost ring rear aperture.

Do they make a version of the AK's high capacity drum magazine for the 74?

Dave R

Holy cow. That video runs 2:38. That's 158 seconds, no? 210 rounds in 158 seconds is an average of 1.3 rounds per second, while moving, including mag changes and clearing a jam. That one double-feed 'may' have been due to the mag change. That one looked a little like he short stroked to me. He charged twice before noticing that jam, anyway.

Still, mighty impressive.

urban assault

I just picked up 3,240 rounds of Bulgarian steel-core 5.45 ammo for $428 shipped. It's packed in three big sardine cans which are in wooden crates. I'm gonna order some more in a week or two, 'cause I don't have enough to make me feel comfortable just yet.

-urban

HorseSoldier

Do they make a version of the AK's high capacity drum magazine for the 74?

No. Apparently the Soviets experimented with some drum mags for the RPK-74 but none were ever adopted for military use, so you're limited to standard AK mags and oversized RPK mags. I don't think anyone is making an aftermarket drum either at this time.

CGSteve8718

No. Apparently the Soviets experimented with some drum mags for the RPK-74 but none were ever adopted for military use, so you're limited to standard AK mags and oversized RPK mags. I don't think anyone is making an aftermarket drum either at this time.

My foot tastes good!

I didn't know that at the time, I guess that's why the only pic I've ever seen of it was from a museum.

MD_Willington

The only one I've ever seen is a picture online, the mag sits flat like a pancake, not like you'd imagine a regular 7.62x39 or .223 drum would sit...

Yellowfin

BIG question: are there any non-AK pattern rifles that use the 5.45 cartridge? I would really like to take advantage of the ammo prices.

HorseSoldier

Pretty much no.

Alexander Arms made an upper/rifle called the Genghis that allowed you to shoot 5.45 in your AR, but they're out of production and I've not seen any used ones for sale. There are also some surplus East German bolt guns in 5.45 out there, but they're pretty rare and obscure these days.

That's about the extent of it as far as I know.

Yellowfin

How hard would it be to re barrel a rifle for 5.45x39? For ammo being half the price of the next cheapest round I would still come out ahead.