Is the 45 Colt revolver the most versatile factory loaded handgun ?

Hammer1

Is the 45 Colt revolver round the most versatile factory loaded handgun round ?

Looking at commonly available ammo at local stores...

There is SASS cowboy ammo loaded to recoil levels barely perceptible as more than 22 short rimfire loads.

There are traditional loads pushing the 250-255 grain lead bullets at original 1873 factory velocities capable of being one-shot man-stoppers against charges by mounted hordes.

There are Corbon and Buffalo Bore loads suitable for hunting tyrannosaurus rex.

There are snakeshell loads for king cobra and black mambas.

Does any other factory loaded handgun round have such an octave range ?

The size of the factory handguns range from ultralight alloy Taurus snubnoses to the Ruger Montado and SAA Sheriff's models to Ruger Super Redhawks with foot long barrels -- pocket pistols to guns needing wheels to roll 'em around.

Last edited:

WESHOOT2

no

The single most versatile choice would be a Ruger SuperRedhawk chambered in 454 Casull, because it also handles all those choices you mentioned.
What barrel lengths have been offered?

(Want a shorter barrel?
Try the 45 Colt Redhawk in 4" or 5.5".)

Hammer1

I like the Redhawk and Super Redhawk, but their versatility is somewhat limited as they won't pass for pocket pistols unless you wear suspenders.

In days past, the Colt SAA Sheriff's and Storekeeper models were routinely slipped into coat and pants pockets.

The ultralight Taurus snubby ain't much bigger than a KelTec 32 or a Raven 25.

The Taurus Judge can do double-duty with 410 shells to allow you to compete in the Grand American and with the new 3-inch chambers also allow you to hunt high flying geese. Might need the 6-inch barrel.

B.N.Real

That title would belong to the 44 magnum cartridge.

Everything from 44 Special rounds for self defense to 44 magnum "what the blank are you shooting " rounds for hunting and silhouette target shooting.

And the pistol would be one not made anymore,the Dan Wesson in the pistol pack option with the heavy barrel shrouds.

Two inch barrel and shroud for 'concealed' (though still a large frame handgun) carry and all the way up to eight for what ever hunting you wanted to do.

(And actually just before they stopped making revolvers,Dan Wesson made a 445 Supermag cartridge and revolver that fired a 44 Magnum and their own 445 Supermag cartridge that would have extended the power,range and accuracy of the lofty 44 magnum round.Sad to see it went no where.)

Hammer1

Enjoy the 44 Special/Magnum a lot.

Play with 'em in versions ranging from the snubbies to the Andy Horvath 'Lil Guns to the Ruger Flattops, Ruger Bisleys and Freedom Arms.

You're right. The 44 family is versatile.

Used a Ruger Bisley 44 to take a 6 x 7 elk.

Carry a Ruger Vaquero Bisley 44 as a regular sidearm.

The Dan Wesson 44 pistol pack is neat. Used the 10-inch barrel in IHMSA competition back in the early 1980s.

But there are no 44 loads for geese or double trap like there is with the 45/410 combo.

And some of these "Ruger Only" 45 factory loads rival the 44 Magnum.

Last edited:

B.N.Real

Nice reply Hammer.

The geese and double trap thing I had not thought about.

Well put.

Looks like the 44 mag can't match that.

So the 45 Colt it is then.

Wleoff

Everyone should have a couple of 45 Colts. 325 grain Buffalo Bore bullets works great in the Redhawk, the one with the scope on it. The S&W Mountain Gun makes a good backup while hunting. Reloading works best with 45 Colt or it's going to get expensive.
45Colt01.jpg

Slamfire

Is the 45 Colt revolver round the most versatile factory loaded handgun round ?

Read some of Elmer Keith's books, like "Sixguns" and "Sixgun Cartridges and Loads". The 45 LC was always a versatile round.

I don't load them hot anymore, a 250 L bullet going 800 to 850 fps is plenty accurate and plenty powerful for most anything.

There are people who want more power (like 500 S&W); to each their own. But if I need more power, I would consider a rifle instead of a hand cannon.

Tom2

Yes it is versitile but if you can live with a lower power ceiling perhaps, maybe the 38/357 combo is nearly as good. You can shoot both in a gun designed for the magnum. The magnum from a pistol of normal barrel length or a carbine is formidable. You also use less resources when reloading as far as powder and lead. More shots per pound I think. And factory ammo a bit more obtainable. No T Rex hunting option though.

Zombie Steve

Anything the .44 mag can do, the .45 Colt can do at lower pressures. Another way of seeing it - anything the .44 mag can do, the .45 Colt can do with half the barrel length, pressures being equal.

Here's an interesting read from John Linebaugh:

http://www.foxwebdesigns.com/Area51/JLSixGun/articles/gunnotes.html

The single most versatile choice would be a Ruger SuperRedhawk chambered in 454 Casull, because it also handles all those choices you mentioned.

Sounds right to me...

Smaug

I think you're right Hammer1.

44 Magnum is not availble in a factory load suitable for target shooting or self defense against humans. 44 Special is, but that is a different cartridge.

454 Casull is also a different cartridge. It is more versatile for a handloader, but not from the factory.

Socrates

Well, the 44 has plenty of WELL MADE GUNS, without sloppy chambers. Don't know if it's changed, but buying a ruger in 45 Colt used to be a real roll of the dice.

Other than that, in a strong gun, with properly cut chambers, I agree.

44 AMP

Staff
Remember history

The .45 Colt may well be the most versatile factory loaded round today, but that wasn't always the case. Elmer Keith developed the .44 Magnum because the .45 Colts he started with wouldn't take the pressures needed for the performance he was after. He blew up a few .45s before going to the .44s which had thicker cylinder walls. This was because of the guns he had available to work with, not because of anything about the .45 Colt itself.

.45 Colt brass has changed a bit over the years as well. Modern solid head cases are a little stronger than the old ones (so I am told), and have a slightly larger rim as well. I hear even balloon head cases are back in (limited)production for the blackpowder shooters, make sure of what you have before reloading.

They make shotshells for the .44 Mag, and I think Silvertips would be an adequate factory defense load, they seem a lot milder that regular .44 mag ammo. Best bet for SD in the mag is probably .44 Special though.

My experience with .45Colt/.410 guns is the T/C Contender, and while I have enjoyed the .410 capabilities, I found that the accuracy with .45 Colt rounds was disappointing, and wound up getting a .45 Colt (only) barrel.

Socrates

Buffalobore makes a 260 grain, 1450 fps HP round that flattens 300 pound hogs, and does in Black bear with equal aplomb. I really wonder if in the 48, you EVER need anything bigger then that?
Plus, this round is EASY to shoot, with a properly fitted grip, and, even with one that's too small...
Maybe 325 LFN's might be comforting when you find yourself surrounded by angry bovine after killing one of their members, but, I really wonder about that....

Slamfire

I hear even balloon head cases are back in (limited)production for the blackpowder shooters, make sure of what you have before reloading.

I will have to search for them. Mike Venturino wrote an article, he found ballon head brass and was able to put 40 grains black in them. The velocities he got were very close to 1000 fps in a Colt SAA. That's impressive, and I have no doubt the pressures were low.

A 255 grain 45 caliber bullets going 1000 fps, that's pretty good, and in a Colt, its a lot of power in a compact package.

Colt46

It is extremely versatile

However, a good kieth bullet at 900 fps will do just about anything you could want in a handgun.

ƒORTE

My dad has a Taurus Judge .45/.410. He loads the 1st two cylinders w/ shotshells(either birdshot or buck depending on locale) and the rest .45 colt. Pretty cool gun, I'd def hit the trail with that SOB.

Master Blaster

The most versatile factory loaded cartridge, Would be .357 magnum, I count .38 special in that as well. Most stores will carry several power levels and bullet weights. If you go online you can get a 600 fps wadcutter for light recoil target shooting, and you can get 180 grain barn burners, as well as 125 grain flamethrowers.

You can run the gammet of .38spl defense loads including loads designed for short barrel performance.

A 4" .357 686+ or a 8 shot n frame 627 PC may be the most versatile revolver made even with factory ammo.

dgludwig

Anything the .44 mag can do, the .45 Colt can do at lower pressures. Another way of seeing it - anything the .44 mag can do, the .45 Colt can do with half the barrel length, pressures being equal.

But, everything being equal is beside the point. It takes pressure to get superior performance. A factory .44 Magnum produces more pressure than does a factory .45 Colt- and a factory loaded.44 Magnum offers better performance (if velocity/energy with equivalent bullet weights and barrel lengths is the criteria)than a factory loaded .45 Colt. Yes, you can handload a .45 Colt to approach the .44 Magnum but, and few seem to point this out, a .44 Magnum can also be handloaded- up or down.

But the OP's question about the versatility of the .45 Colt was predicated on the availability of factory loaded rounds-and here, especially when you consider the fact that any revolver chambered for the .44 Magnum can use .44 Specials, the .44 Magnum has no peer...though MasterBlaster makes a darned good case for the .357 Magnum. ;)

Zombie Steve

dgludwig, please take a look at the link I posted earlier... some convincing data there.

we have found that whatever the .44 Magnum will do, the .45 Colt will duplicate with about 5,000 psi less pressure. This is with standard bullet weights. As the slugs get heavier the gap widens.

Doesn't look like "approaching" .44mag to me... looks like the same performance at less pressure. I'm not sure why you think higher pressures translate into better performance. :confused:

Linebaugh is the guy that wrote the book on big bore. This quote sums it up for me:

It's like pulling a 24-foot stock trailer loaded with horses with a (small) Toyota pickup." You are gonna over-work the and the truck to get the job done.

Don't get me wrong - I like all things .429. Always will. And yes, it's quite versatile (trying desperately to keep on topic here)....