is the .40 a good trail round?

meat

I was looking through the new glock annual (Page 20, the article entitled "The Camper's Friend"), and one of the authors mentioned that he really like the .40, in particular the model 23, for use as protection in the woods. He feels that the .40 would give him adequate protection and penetration (except for bears and large critters). Does anyone have any opinions regarding this? I know most would recommend a 10 mm, .357 Mag., or 44 Mag. for the woods. Just curious.

Halo

If you're going to get a Glock for that purpose, I would get the 10mm. I think you can simply drop in a .40 barrel if you want to shoot that round at the range, etc.

agtman

"is the .40 a good trail round?"

Well, it's probably better than a .380 or a 9mm, if those were the only choices available to you.

Fortunately, there's the 10mm Auto.

As Halo noted, you can get a "drop-in" .40 barrel for the Glock 10mm (from KKM or Federal Arms) for those times when you're in a "light-n-fluffy" mood. The stock 10mm mags and recoil assembly work just fine w/ the .40 Swishy-Walker.

However, for a serious trail-gun caliber in an autoloader of reasonable size & weight, you really can't do better than a 10mm Auto. And if weight and capacity are critical issues, then the answer is a G-20 with 15+1 capacity, loaded with something really HOT. You know, for whatever "unfriendly" 2- or 4-legged critter might be on the same trail you are.

HTH. :)

Zundfolge

I carry a .40 as a trail gun, however 90% of my trail hiking is done close to town (I live in Colorado Springs, so there are TONS of real nice trails close to town ... hell there's nice trails in town :) ). My biggest concern is running into a rabid Homo Sapiens Sapiens but just in case I run into a bear or cougar I carry with a magazine loaded with my "trail mix"; alternating JHP/FMJ

WYO

Yes, it's a great trail caliber, as long as you stay out of grizzly country. When I go into the woods without a rifle, I switch out from mandated 180 gr. Gold Dots to 155 gr. Remingtons, and get (chronographed) .357 ballistics in a 40 caliber package.

TreeSquid

What is going to attack you on the trail that you couldn't take out with even a boring 9mm load? Anything big enough to really mess you up is going to shrug off ANY handgun round, pretty much. Wolves aren't gonna stand up to much anything you throw at them, same with cougars. I'd be much more concerned with HITTING them, as they can move so quickly. My personal choice would be a full-size 9mm loaded with +P for the sake of capacity, as you may very well miss a small, fast moving target many times, and wildlife will tend to be a lot more persistent than easily-psychologically-crushed humans. Then again, if you're really confident in your aim...RAGING BULL .454!!!! :D

dsk

I agree with TreeSquid. Anything you're likely to come across on the trail in the continental USA (cougar, wolf, feral dog) will be driven off by accurate hits in any caliber equally suitable for use against feral humans. If talking about the possibility of bear attack, then you're ill-advised to pack a handgun of any caliber.

JIH

If it's against a bear, save the last round for yourself unless you're carrying a .44 MAG or better. Even then... aim carefully, or Yogi's gonna make you his pick-a-nick basket.

Zundfolge

Honestly bears are the least of your worries on the trail.

Significantly more people are attacked by other hikers then bears.

If you are really worried about bears then carry the shortest 10ga you can get loaded with slugs.

brownlow

God, I hope this is not turning into another "pistol round for a bear" discussion. The answer to that question is NONE!

Thought carrying a .45 does help your confidence and will work for everything else.

Basically, carry what you like and what you can shoot well. That will make the most difference if push ever comes to shove.

Also if snakes are in the area, there are still some .45 ACP bird shot shells floating around. They work suprising well.

WGBV

BBall550

Pistol for bear????

Beats the hell out of a pocket knife or a stick! Both of which have been used to stop bear attacks.

Ive never heard of an instance where someone defending themselves with a pistol from a bear has lost. (not that it hasent happened)

I HAVE read several stories about large bears being killed with pistols. One about a griz on the attack at a state park that was killed with a .357 while attacking a young boy. Another about an alaskan griz on the attack being shot and killed with a .44. And if people hunt Water Buff with pistols YOU CAN NOT TELL ME PISTOLS WONT DO A BEAR!!

Rifle better? sure, If you could holster a rifle you would be set!

I would take a .40 over anything less, anyday. Anything bigger will only be better.

Your not looking to make an ethical kill here. Your not looking for a one shot stop garrantee. Your looking to save your life in the event of an emergency. Any pistol is better than none. The bigger the better.

Personally .40 would be a minimum, .357 and 10mm next, but "I" would feel safe with a .44 mag.

PsychoSword

Hey they used to kill grizzly bears with muskets and a musket is a heck of a lot less powerful than a hotly loaded 9mm. Of as I said though, I'd prefer a magnum caliber revolver as backup, 'just in case'.

Halo

Muskets were less powerful than 9mm?

Seriously? I don't know anything at all about muskets, but I never would have thought they were less powerful than a 9mm! That's quite interesting.

What was the typical ball weight and muzzle velocity for an 18th century musket, such as they might have used in the Revolution?

Mannlicher

Tree Squid
I am not sure if you have any knowledge bout this at all. Are your opinions based on fact or just reading gun mags?

MJRW

Agreed. I don't think Treesquid has any real information on the subject. I mean, an 80 year old man has beaten back a cougar with a pocket knife.

Any Cal!

9 mm for trail

It seems that here in Colorado, 9mm is enough gun for MOST you meet. I have a friend that hunts cougars with a 30 carbine blackhawk. I would worry some about putting nasty dogs down with a 9 though. Mixed bag on that in any case. In any case, when I went camping WAY out, I was glad for a .357 over a 9mm. Around here the bears are mostly smaller, around 200 lbs. Guys hunt them with a 30-30. Wouldn't mind carrying a .44 for one. Beats a one on one with a skinning knife. Don't know why the situation would come up, but a .44 would be better for elk. I figure a trail gun should double as a survival gun in an emergency, ...i.e. big enough to put down game if you had to. You could put down a smaller deer with a .40, and probably be better on dogs, wolves. Who posted that pic with the180 grain gold dot they shot a coyote with. The expanded bullet was the size of a quarter. Sorry this did not go anywhere.

Any Cal!

denfoote

Just let me say that the next time I go tramping around in the desert, the GLOCK 29:10MM is going with me!!! ;)

WESHOOT2

ANSWERING QUESTION

I believe you read an article in a magazine that is also an ad.
I also think the writer liking a 40 S&W as HIS 'trail gun' is HIS business.

If you were looking for an opinion I'd say 'hooie" to the 40 as a good choice.
IMNSHO woods ('bear' woods, not sissy woods) carry requires (carefully chosen word) a big blaster.