Is the 10mm Dead?

samsmix

Ok: I know it is still around, and I can even buy new ones, but are the really just a bulky .40 S&W? And what of it's vaunted ".41 magnum in a duty size auto" hype? Are there really loads this hot with, say, a 210gr bullet? If so, is it abusive to the guns that fire it? I have heard stories of slide rail peeling back on 1911s.

Was it just a .400 Cor-Bon wanna-be that never really was?

Webleymkv

Check out Double Tap and Buffalo Bores loadings. The durability issues were mainly Colt Delta Elites, Glocks and S&W pistols handle it fine.

Rimrod

It's higher end rounds do come into the .41 magnums velocity range. I carried a 657 for several years loaded with Winchesters Silver Tips, which are rather mild but a great SD round, and the Silver Tips for the 10mm were supposed to be very similar.

The 10mm isn't a bulky .40 since the 10 was here first. The .40 is a wimpy 10mm. And the .400 Cor-bon is the 10mm wannabe that never made it.

SNOWED IN

Kimber makes 2, EEA makes 2 and Glock makes 1. I also love the idea but am dissapointed in heavy bullet selection. 45 Super/460 Rowland are here and cover the highpower/higher recoil envelope I now want. I may still look at a Kimber. I passed on a Delta Elite in the early 90s and have kicked myself many a day.

croyance

A bulky .40 S&W? Beyond the fact that the 10mm was developed first, it also can have a lot more velocity. I think there is a hollowpoint load that is 200 grains @1200 fps.

JohnKSa

Administrator
It's never going to be a big seller but it's not going away either.

I did a survey of available ammunition for the 10mm awhile back and was surprised to find that (at the time) there were at least 35 commercial loads available from 11 different makers. That's more selection from more makers than is available in .357SIG and no one's talking about the .357SIG disappearing...

CarbineCaleb

Just from casual observation, it seems like I've seen some 10mm guns discontinued, but not as many introduced the past few years. My own guess would be, it's already done what it's going to do as far as market share goes. According to Wikipedia, it was introduced 24 years ago, so it's not that people don't know it's there yet. Doesn't mean it's going away entirely, even if that's right, but I suspect it's passed its high water mark already for popularity.

Last edited:

Tomas

as long as the .40 is around, the 10mm will be around.

Also, Glock actually makes 2 models in 10mm, EAA makes 3, Dan Wesson makes at least two, and I just got a Wilson in 10mm.

Of the gaggle of malcontents I hunt with, three of us carry Glock 20s in the woods.

It'll never be totally mainstream, but it'll never die either.

Tom

RsqVet

I'd bet it's going to get more popular over the next 10 years, as the bigger / better / more power trend we see in revolvers (regardless of need or not), trickles down to Pistols makers are going to see a 10 mm gun as a potential seller and with modern CNC machines and CAD new modeles or modifications of existing models will, I hope become easier and more common

ryucasta

I don’t believe the 10mm cartridge is dead but I don’t think its really growing either. It’s my opinion that 10mm cartridge is and will remain a niche player in the US firearms market.

Having said that though I do compete in USPSA Limited Division with a G20 but that has been configured for the 40 S&W Long Loaded cartridge (COAL of +1.190 with a KKM 10mm-40 S&W Barrel).

The primary reason I did that was simply due to the cost of the components. 10mm components namely the brass and primers cost a bit more than the components for 40 S&W and when you are shooting 10’s of thousands of rounds a year the cost difference is noticeable.

BlueTrain

Well, I haven't owned one yet, so the round still has some market potential. But tens of thousands of rounds a year? Shooting up 50 rounds a day? That's a lot of shooting.

I have liked the .38 Super for a long time and have owned two. A question that has been going through my mind lately is, if I wanted something better, meaning mostly more modern, should I be thinking of a .357 Sig or a 10mm? I think from a reloading standpoint, a 10mm would be a better choice, if only because of the straight case. Of course, there is also the matter of bullet weight. Or how about a .40 S&W? I doubt my shooting ever exceeded 1000 rounds of any given caliber in a year, including .22 rf.

MikeRussell

EAA doesn't make any 10mm, but Tanfoglio does. There are more than 2-3 models imported by EAA though. There is the Poly Carry, the steel full size, the steel compact, the Elite Stock, the Elite Match, and the Elite Limited...that's 6. ;)

BigJimP

yes, I think it's probably a dinosauer if it's not dead already ..... but I think it'll continue to drop in popularity. It's a very effective cartridge - great power - but the .40 S&W is more practical especially to smaller framed people and it's available in a high capacity like the 10mm ( which is really why the 10mm and the .40 were developed anyway. The 10mm is popular among "shooters" but it isn't really going to go mainstream, in my opinion - and unless you reload, it's pretty expensive to shoot.

I think in 5 years you'll look back and see the .40 S&W available in significantly more weapons models than the 10mm. The 10mm will be almost a special order only item. I shoot a .40 a lot and I like carrying a .40 ( more rounds, and again very good power ) and it's available in a number of frames like the SIG 226 and even some 1911's.

M1911

My Delta Elite isn't dead. In fact, she's been making me feel guilty for not taking her to the range more often.