Is Shooting Hunting Ammo In M1 Okay?

1tfl

I want to take my M1 Garand on a hog hunt next month.
I never shot any hunting ammo in my Garand and just want to make sure it 's okay to shoot it. I was thinking about using Federal Premium 150 grain Power-Shok soft point as I have several boxes of this ammo.

BTW. how does military 30-06 ammo compare to commercial hunting loads in terms of velocity and pressure?

3StrikesNC

Have to watch the pressure curve - too much too soon and you'll bend/damage the Op Rod.

Put a Schuster Plug in the Gas Cylinder to "bleed off" excess pressure and you can shoot any factory load. You'll have to "tune" the Schuster for your hunting loads, but it's very easy to do. Once you've done that, shoot all you want.

If not, it's your rifle and you risk damage.

bamaranger

don't forget the bayonet!!!!!!!!!

Hogs w/ a Garand, now that would be a hoot. I'd recommend the 10" bayonet!!

My limited understanding of the commercial ammo issues is that the M1 action was set up and timed to handle circa WWII ammo pressure curves and modern sporting ammo does not replicate same. Thus damaged op rods have been reported because the rifle either locks or unlocks at the incorrect moment, I'm not sure which. I don't know how common this is, but it is discussed frequently.

Most of the loading manuals specify powders that are in the correct burn range for military semi auto rifles, so there must be some credence to the issue. Additionally, Hornady, I think, has introduced FMJ ammo specifically for the Garand, lending further proof.

You MIGHT get away w/ it,I'm sure that commercial ammo is being shot in lots of the M1's in the field today, but steady use will probably have consequences.

I'd avoid slugs heavier than 150 were I to chance it myself. And Fed ammo has always seemed a bit on the hot side to me, though my only reference is pistol ammo.

Op rods are not cheap, seems like I priced some around $150 (that's a guess) and getting a correct one is more and more difficult. If you have time, I'd research finding somebody that understands the issue and loading for the M1, and get some ctgs tailored for your rifle. That' the safe path.

Sounds like fun though and I'd jump through some hoops w/ ammo, to try and do it safely given the opportunity you describe. Good hunting.

Why not just use your surplus ammo that the rifle was designed for? I mean hogs are varmint/neusance animals, not game animals, and all of them need to be shot. Doesn't matter what you shoot them with as long as you make a good shot. Head shot or heart/lung/liver shot will put them down quite easily.

BombthePeasants

If you value your rifle, and I hope you do, please do not use commercial ammunition, UNLESS it is Hornady match ammunition made specifically for it, or the Federal ammunition made specifically for the M1 (I think the code is F3006M1 or something to that effect). If you do buy a Schuster gas plug and commercial ammunition, take the time to follow the instructions and go to the range and set it up properly.

Or, take up reloading like I did, and make your own Garand-safe hunting ammunition.

horseman308

I've shot 150 grain Sellier and Bellot ammo with good results. I checked with people who seemed to know over on the CMP forum and was assured that S&B met the appropriate pressure curve requirements, and it's fairly cheap as .30-06 goes, so you might check that out.

1tfl

Thank you all for your post... learned a lot.
I think I'll leave the Garand and take the Swed M96 rifle instead on the next hunt. I have some hunting ammo I loaded that I can use. I even have an origional a bayonet for it :D

Chris_B

Hogs w/ a Garand, now that would be a hoot. I'd recommend the 10" bayonet!!

Why not the 16"? ;)

m1sticker.jpg

crowbeaner

I shoot the same ammo in a Garand that I shoot in my Remi Semi for deer.
LC match prepped brass, CCI 200 or milspec primer, 48.0 of WW 748 or BLC2, Sierra 150 grain Pro Hunter spitzer at 2810 fps. 46,000 CUP, won't bend your op-rod, shoots into shamrocks over bags, and flat hammers any deer it hits.
For a 165 load, same brass, CCI 250 primer, 47.0 to 48.0 of IMR 4320, and a Hornady 165 BTSP Interlock. This is a tougher bullet for BIG deer and hogs.