Is Shiner Bock still the official TFL beer?

Fraser

I would hope so.

Haven't been to TX in a week or so, and I'm beginning to get the shakes. I need a Shiners.

Gewehr98

Darnit!

Now I need another TDY to Greenville or the DFW area!:(

(I did bring back a bunch of Shiner Bock last year, but it's been long gone.)

Zundfolge

Shiner ain't bad (better then Bud or Coors or one of them other "big" breweries) but for me a pint of Guinness is still the best way to unwind after a day at the range (after the guns are cleaned and put away of course) :)

KSFreeman, if you like Fat Tire, you should check out some of New Belgium's other brews ... I'm quite fond of the Sunshine Wheat ... wonderful ice cold on a hot summer day after mowing the lawn.

KSFreeman

Zun, I'd like to, but New Beligum only distributes in a few states in the hairy-chested West. They do not come this far East.:(

I am first on the list for a distributorship when/if they do expand. Here's to a successful IPO!:cool: Yeah, capitalism.

AndABeer

but for me a pint of Guinness is still the best way to unwind

no argument but since I do not have a kegerator installed in my house the closest place for a pint is Hooters which is about 10 miles from the house crossing numerous busy streets and one interstate and i will not drink and drive, im SOL

rejoice! rejoice! however as a new pub is opening 1/2 mile away in November and the previous 3 pubs in the chain all serve the Dark Nectar as God intended so i may be saved or damned depending on ones point of view

Shiner will do quite well until then

Chuck Dye

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout, North Coast Brewing, Fort Bragg CA. What Guinness aspires to be when it grows up.

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Talk about your tenuously gun-related threads...

(I can only speak so boldly because I'm a couple of bottles of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale into a Saturday afternoon... :) )

Drizzt

I'm rather found of Guiness, but there's another small brew that, unfortunately, I can't get my hands on in Austin any longer. Stoney Creek Brewery puts out a concoction by the name of Stoney Creek Vanilla Porter that goes oh so well with a cigar at the end of a day.

With the smell of the gunpowder still faintly resonant in the air around me (which probably means I need to change out of that shirt.....) the smell of a good cigar, and the taste of a fine brew, just finishes the job of relaxing whatever is left of me......

geegee

I'm ambivalent about Shiner Bock, but do enjoy a beer after a range session. To that end I would suggest the following to those who are in the DFW area, or expect to be: Go to Bass Pro Outdoor World in Grapevine, where they have an indoor range (about 6 lanes I believe). After all ammo is expended (except the last few rounds to travel home with ;) ), take your guns and gear out to your cars. Turn around and go back in to Big Buck's, the restaurant which adjoins Bass Pro Shop. Once you're inside you can sit at a table in the restaurant area, or go upstairs to the Microbrew/Sports Bar area. Then order the "Beer Sampler", which I believe is a total of 10 different beers and ales served in 7 oz. glasses. What you reorder after you're finished sampling is then up to you.

I've actually conducted several business meetings like this (not everyone plays golf, right?). Can you imagine my euphoria in spending an afternoon/evening like this, all the while as a business expense! :D :p My anti-gun, California Liberal boss just shakes his head over it. geegee

Christopher II

Drizzt - Stoney Creek Vanilla Porter is one of my favorites, but I as well can no longer find it. I used to get it at the local supermarket, and there was even a brief period when a local pub (walking distance from my apartment) had it available on tap. Not a very productive time in my life... :D

The Purdue Rifle/Pistol/Political Extremism club usually meets after Monday practices at the Lafayette Brewing Company. Now these dudes know how to make beer. A cask-conditioned Oatmeal Stout is the perfect ending to two hours of bullseye practice.

- Chris

Gewehr98

Gun related beers...

Tamara, I got to meet the gentleman who began, and was one of the original owners of, Sierra Nevada Brewing Company (Not too far from the back gate of Beale AFB). He's a retired Air Force LtCol, and gave us quite a tour of the brewery back in 1989. My squadron mates and I were on a two-day trip to Beale AFB for altitude chamber training, and as part of the mandatory "eat Mexican food before you take the chamber up to 42,000 feet" regimen, stopped there early on the afternoon of the first day's training. We were in awe at the discovery of this now-famous brewery.

At the time, Sierra Nevada Ale was bottled in glass bottles with the Grolsch-style wire bail and rubber/glass cork. If you wanted a refill, you brought the bottle back to Chico, where they washed it out and refilled it with your favorite. Every time we had refresher M16 qualification at Beale (because McClellan's range was usually closed) we made sure to stop with our empty bottles. Gawd, has it really been that long ago? :(

Azrael256

Up here in the land of no front license plates they don't sell shiner... headin' back home for a visit in two weeks, guess what I'm doing when I get there!

Zundfolge

no argument but since I do not have a kegerator installed in my house the closest place for a pint is Hooters which is about 10 miles from the house crossing numerous busy streets and one interstate and i will not drink and drive, im SOL

Try the Guinness in the "Floating Draught" cans ... its a can with a small nitrogen and carbon dioxide cartridge in it (called a widget) ... real close to what it tastes like on draught :)

draughtcan.gif

http://usa.guinness.com/about2.asp

Stoney Creek Vanilla Porter sounds good ... I'll have to see if I can find some.

If you're in the mood for something else like that try Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout or Watney's Cream Stout.

damn ... I'm gettin' thirsty :p