Is reloading worth it for me?

CMichael

I usually shoot about 3 x per week. I usually shoot 9 mm, 45 acp, and 38 special.

Is it worth it for me to buy all the equipment and do it myself?

Thank you,

DiscoRacing

I would say...yes... if you shoot three times a week for sure...i can reload all three of those calibers for around four bucks per fifty rds.

CMichael

Wow. I forgot to add that I shoot about 100 rounds each session. Usually a mix depending on which gun I feel like shooting.

DiscoRacing

It will take time to recover your startup costs tho...if your going to continue to shoot as often as you do now for a couple of years or more...would save you money for sure.

BigJimP

Sure its worth it, but it isn't really about volume ...its about another part of the hobby.

In reality - we can reload, with good components, a box of 9mm for about $ 5 a box / .38 spl for around $6 a box / and .45 acp for around $ 8 a box ...using FMJ bullets. But all of us that reload / also shoot more - because we can justify the cost much easier.

I would reload even if the cost was a push. To me, time isn't a big factor, my progressive press - Dillon 650 - easily cranks out 1,000 rds an hour.

The equipment isn't cheap / but its stuff you'll have for a long time - and probably use a lot ....and payback on the equipment is easily within 2 years or so / and maybe faster ---depending on the volume you shoot. But the other advantage - is you can reload a much higher quality round than you can buy / shrinking your groups at least 25% ....

To me its just another part of the shooting hobby --- and I reload 9mm, .40 , . 45acp, .38 spl, .357 mag and .44 mag - and 12ga, 20ga, 28ga and .410 shotshells ....

DiscoRacing

I would say that outta cover it.... buy in bulk when you can...powder,primers...saves more money...buy 8 pound kegs instead of single pounds....buy primers by the thousand.....and you can save even more if you can cast your own bullets...for target shooting.

DiscoRacing

And as BigJim stated.... I love reloading nearly as much as shooting....its nearly a hobby in its own... and i load for 9mm, 38, 40, 44, 45acp, 45lc,500mag, 460mag, 223, 270, 308, 30-06, 7mm

DiscoRacing

I like the turret...because you can get several discs..and leave each caliber of dies in the separate discs...then only takes a second to change loading to a different caliber....and its really not that tough to load....more attention to detail than skill.

Xfire68

CMichael, yes yes and yes! Not only will it save you a ton of money in a short time you will enjoy it a bunch to boot!

There is something really cool about shooting your own ammo especially when it shoots better then any factory ammo you have ever fired!

I will never go back to buying factory unless factory ammo was cheaper to shoot? That's never going to happen. At least I hope not!:cool:

As to reloading equipment you can choose pretty much whatever fits your budget and it will reload your ammo just fine.

I use a Lee Classic single stage for large caliber rifle and .45LC and I use the Lee 4 hole Turret press for .223 and all other pistol. The turret press is impressive for the price of the unit. I do want a full progressive press some day and that will be a Hornady LnL.

Good luck picking out your equipment and happy reloading!

t45

A start up cost of $500 would get you a good start up kit. Be forwarned that reloading is addictive. :D

m&p45acp10+1

Cmichael with a starting budget of $500 you can not only get a good set up. You can get a lot of components too. If you decide to start casting lead. (Not that hard to do at all.) Your savings would be greatly incresed. I can load 1000 rounds of .45 ACP for a whopping $65. My price for doing so with my .41 mag is near the same as that. I buy plated bullets for shooting from my 9mm G26. Cost for those is not much of a saving over cheap WW ammo. I just enjoy reloading so cost on that one is a moot point.
Also note if you get the one of the Lee Aniversary kits. You will also need a reloading manual, and a set of dial calipers. Not a must, yet a time and sanity saver would be a digital, or slider scale with large easy to read numbers. ( The Lee scale works, and is very acurate. It is also hard to see for some.)

Last edited:

Lost Sheep

Startup Cost? $20 to $(sky's the limit)

CMichael said:
My start up cost would be around $500?
Startup cost for gear would be between $20 to $1,000.

Lee Loadall $17 plus a mallet (not a hammer, metal is too hard) and a chunk of wood. You will want to add a $22 scale eventually. That's $17 per caliber, so $75.

If you use a press, a single-stage can be had for $50, but I do recommend one with interchangeable bushings so you can adjust your dies one time (in the bushing) and switch bushings to change dies. Dies will be about $35 per caliber, a breech-lock press for $75-$100 (or a Turret, which will operate similarly) for $95-$140. You will want a scale for $22 to $(sky's the limit) and about $100 of various other items.

I just replaced almost everything on my reloading bench (except my scale) for under $500 with what I believe to be a first-class setup including a couple of powder measures, six sets of dies, turret press and a bunch of accessories.

Your first purchase should be "The ABC's of Reloading) $17 to $25 from Amazon.com or your local well-stocked gunstore.

Before you start deciding on brands of equipment, figure your budget and find out how much space you have in which to work, whether you will leave your gear set up permanently or put it away after each loading session and things like that.

For estimates of costs of reloading, Google that phrase. There are neat calculators on the web to figure costs. If you don't know component prices, use these. 4 cents per primer $25 per pound of powder, 5 to 7 grains of powder per cartridge 5 cents to 25 cents for bullets and 30 cents per cartridge case with an average life of 8 to 12 firings per case.

Enjoy.

Lost Sheep

All the above are from my (faulty) memory and may or may not allow for shipping to your location. My location involves a high shipping cost.

Last edited:

thump_rrr

I did my setup on the cheap.
My thinking was to start off with an economical setup which included everyting except the dies that I could use for load development once I step up to a progressive.

I bought the Lee 50th Anniversary Kit for $81.99.
Lee Case Length Gage and Shellholder .45 ACP $4.49
Lee Deluxe Pistol 4-Die Sets $36.99
Lee bulge buster kit $15.49
Lee Breech Lock Quick Change Bushings Package of 2 $6.49
Hornady Impact Bullet Puller $24.99

My total investment to start was $170.00 plus supplies.

This setup will allow me to properly learn load development and can later be used as a standalone case prep station for the 1000+ Glocked .40 S&W cartridges I have.

DANNY-L

Add up the total price you pay from a store for factory ammo per year,then make up an equiptment needed list to load your own and compare. I think your equiptment will pay for itself in no time.

CMichael

I inquired about reloading at my guns store/range today.

One of the employees said he would sell me his set that he has had a short time, and has been hardly used.

It's a Lee Loadmaster Kit (44 mag)
Lee Cass Colater
Multi Feed Tubes for Colator
Multi Feed for Bullet
(2) 5 hole turrets
Shell plate 45
Shell plate 9 mm
9 mm dies
308 dies
bullet feeder

He said he put into it $457.91 and that he would sell it to me for $350.

I also need it for .357 mag, and 38 special.

What do you guys think?