is +P safe in my gun?

Ernest T Bass

Forgive me if this has already been asked, but I used the search function and couldn’t find a similar thread. I just purchased a beautiful Model 60 made in 1979 and I want to know if it’s safe to shoot some +P ammo through it.

Doug.38PR

Being a non-airweight and from that more recent year I would think it would be okay at least for defense and an annual load of five at the range.

But don't take my word for it, see what others say. I don't know very much about S&W J frame revolvers. More of a K or N frame fan when it comes to S&W and a Colt fan when it comes to smaller snub nose guns

skeeter1

This is the reponse I got back from support at Smith & Wesson,

Hi,
You may shoot +P ammo in the model 60

Thanks
kf

If you have doubts, go to them directly at support@smith-wesson.com.

Mine is a 60-3, and I've had no trouble using 110-125gr. +Ps in it.

Ernest T Bass

Thanks.

I wasn’t planning on shooting +P all of the time. I was just wondering if now and then would be okay. I guess that it would. Thanks.

The 60 is small but sturdy and no factory loaded .38 Special ammo is loaded beyond the capability of a well-made pistol like a S&W.

Does anyone really think in this age of lawyers and lawsuits that any ammo company would sell any ammo that would be unsafe or unwise to shoot in a quality made gun? All the +P hype is just that; hype.

Bullrock

Doug38PR,Come on, why roll your eyes, the man was asking a legitimate question.

Judging by his name I would guess he got tired of throwing rocks

Of course it is a legitimate question, but I wouldn't! I have a beautiful older model in nickle, and I'm not about to put +p through it. I'm sure Skeeter is right! But, mine is a personal choice. One day it will belong to one of my great grandson's, and he can shoot whatever he wants for ammo.

Why the PA! Did I say something bad about you?

Doug.38PR

Of course it is a legitimate question, but I wouldn't! I have a beautiful older model in nickle, and I'm not about to put +p through it. I'm sure Skeeter is right! But, mine is a personal choice. One day it will belong to one of my great grandson's, and he can shoot whatever he wants for ammo.

Why the PA! Did I say something bad about you?

PA? As in personal attack? I wasn't personally attacking you, I thought you were disgusted at the original poster by rolling your eyes as though he was asking a dumb question. It looked to me like you were rolling your eyes at his question.

Musketeer

Yes and no. I would be surprised if S&W advocated it as I had never seen them do this in the past for guns not officially rated as +P. Newer 60s are as are the Lady Smiths but the older ones were not. That being said everybody I know with a J frame keeps +Ps in it and will run a couple through it a year. It has been reported that exxcssive use of +Ps in a non+P J frame will ruin the timing of the gun.

Bullrock

PA? As in personal attack? I wasn't personally attacking you, I thought you were disgusted at the original poster by rolling your eyes as though he was asking a dumb question. It looked to me like you were rolling your eyes at his question.

No, I was rolling my eyes after posting, I wouldn't, because it's probably safe.

Doug.38PR

Yes and no. I would be surprised if S&W advocated it as I had never seen them do this in the past for guns not officially rated as +P. Newer 60s are as are the Lady Smiths but the older ones were not. That being said everybody I know with a J frame keeps +Ps in it and will run a couple through it a year. It has been reported that exxcssive use of +Ps in a non+P J frame will ruin the timing of the gun.

I e mailed S&W about a year ago and ask if +Ps were safe to shoot in my dad's 1971 M-10. I don't have the e mail anymore but they said that any M-10 (or maybe they said K frame gun) made after 1956 is safe for +P.

I don't think S&W started officially Stamping .38 Special +P on the barrels of their J and K frames until a few years ago.

I've heard some in this and other forums say essentially that .38+P would be safe in any .38 Special revolver because standard .38 Specials of say 50-70 years ago are about what +Ps are now and the standard .38 Special (as well as the .357, 45 and other rounds) of today has gradually been toned down over the decades.

Ernest T Bass

to be specific

To clarify, the vast majority of rounds that I'll run through this revolver will be target wadcutters. All I really want to do is to shoot a few +P rounds through it to get used to the greater noise, greater recoil, and different point of aim. I'll keep it loaded with +P for defense, but the vast majority of my shooting will be done with target wadcutters. I just want to shoot +P through it now and then to remind me of how they kick and where they hit.

If ammo manufacturers made +P rounds way way back in the ancient times of 1979, then why wouldn't Smith & Wesson have made its .38 special revolvers to handle those loads? (can you tell that I just spent twenty bucks on a box of GoldDots and I'm trying to justify it?)

Judging by his name I would guess he got tired of throwing rocks ;)

That's hilarious! Not only is it a reference to Ernest T being the best rock thrower in the county, but it's a reference to non+P ammo being as effective as throwing rocks. That's hilarious! :D

Musketeer

Here is one answer almost everyone can agree on...

You CAN shoot +P through your Model 60.

You problably will not WANT to shoot more than a handful of +P though it at a time though! The want can have nothing to do with damaging the gun though, it is simply unpleasant!