Is my Sling on Backwards?

murphjup

I have a New Browning BLR that I purchased a Browning Six Mile Sling for...

I showed my buddy this picture and he said my sling is on upside down...

The only reason I put it on this way is because there is a little padlike peice of leather at the connection point, which I thought would be for my shoulder..

So is it on upsidedown?

Thank you in advance..
:)

Attachments

• E Browing 1.jpg
    E Browing 1.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 245

kraigwy

It's not on backwards, but it's not set up right. The GI Sling, when set propertly, can easily and quickly be set for support in position shooting.

Here is a youtube clip on setting up and using the GI Sling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRPfj-6bRZM

Here is a picture on the proper parade position for the military sling

You can see, that the rear portion can quickly be disconnected, alowing you to expand the loop so you can give it a half twist, and slip your none firing hand/arm through it.

DCM%20M1.jpg

murphjup

Kraig, Thank you for the video, but the lower portion on the does not disconnect from the swivel and is fixed.... it's not really a GI sling...

Creature

kraigwy,

Not to hijack this thread, but I too prefer the old canvas US GI web-sling as is demonstrated in the video. All my rifles wear one. I am very familiar with those slings because of the requirement to use it in competition shooting. I also happen to think the GI web-sling is the quickest and easiest to use and they are very effective at providing the necessary support..

But I have one complaint about those slings: the rear "quick-detach" clip jingles quite loudly. Is there a "trick" to silencing that metal clip?

I thought about dipping it a couple of times in "grip-dip" to give it a good rubber coating...but I thought maybe you learned another method in your travels. I should have asked around at the meets, but I tend to focus more on my routine at those meets and always forget to ask the old-timers.

SKYDOG308

That Sling thing

yes it's on backwards, saw this and had to take a look.

Wanna find out how to use a 1907 sling...get Jim Owen's book.
AWSOME...wanna use the one you have for hunting, make it so you can go to full hasty almost instantly and silently.

Later

Swampghost

I also had a case of the 'sling mount jingles'. Mine are now made by a canvas maker with just a couple of loops to secure it to the rifle. It may not look great but it's silent.