Is my AK receiver milled or stamped?

Hook_N_Bullet

Howdy all, In my never ending quest to be as Politically Incorrect as possible, I purchased my first AK-47 yesterday. I picked up a pre-ban Norinco. My question is is the receiver milled or stamped?

I would like to purchase polymer furniture for it from KVAR, so I need to how the receiver is made.

As a side note, I have been playing with the Bayonet all day. Adult toys are Sooo Much Fun!!

Dave

Victor Romen

If there is a small dimple above the magazine well it's a stamped receiver. If there is a one by two-inch grove above the magazine well it is a milled receiver.

Stamped vs. Milled
http://www.tennesseeguns.com/parts.html
The left side is showing on the stamped receiver and the right side is showing on the milled receiver.

Jeff Thomas

Dave, I know what you mean about this kind of question. And, a "picture" is worth a thousand words. Get to know some of the FFL's in your area ... in my experience, most of them are salt of the earth.

In a reasonably large shop, they'll have plenty of new and used firearms to choose from. Or, a gun show is a great place for this as well. Just ask someone to show you an AK with a milled receiver and then one with a stamped receiver ... it helps a lot to see the difference. This simple act has helped me understand much more, much more quickly. And, most folks are really happy to help someone who is new to the subject.

Regards from AZ