Is it worth it?

Smokey Joe

Welll...

Noob Shooter--The short answer is: It depends.

If it's a gun you really want, and the value is there, and it seems to be in quite good condition, maybe.

You have probably answered yr own question with the second phrase. You regard it as a really good deal. Therefore, given that you've done yr homework on the particular model in question, it IS a really good deal. Go for it.

A report back to TFL would be nice, with pix if you can, after the deal has been done.

N00b_Shooter

oh, its a TRG 42 in 300 win mag, brand new in Aussie dollers it cost like $5150, but i found one that has only shot 100 rounds for $5999, it seemed like a good deal cause it comes with a Nightforce NXS 12-42x56 scope, two mags, detachable bi-pod, muzzle break and heavy duty travel/storage case. the scope alone is worth $2495. i just love the looks and have heard really good things about the rifle and caliber in general.

GLK

What do you plan on doing with a .300 Mag that has a 12-42x56 scope?

Reach out, reach out and touch some roos:eek:.
Aren't kangaroos and dingos considered varmints in some areas????

Go Kiwi

Sounds like a killer setup there - but a very expensive, loud and hard kicking gun to learn to shoot with?? How much shooting have you actually done? Might pay to pick up a .223 as well so you dont bugger your shoulder / ears / barrel etc learning the skills required for LR target shooting.

The MAIN problem is that you will never be able to go back to trash like Remington, Savage, Bushnell, Tasco etc after owning the TRG + NF and will be stuck with expensive tastes :D

N00b_Shooter

i honestly couldn't tell you how long i been shooting for but i would guess about 3 months and only fired around 200 rounds, most of those were through an old Omark M44 in .308 at between 500 - 800 meters. My dad has shot for years so we already have two .22's two .223's a .243 and a 7mm Rem Mag. That being said, the 7mm is the newest and its about 22 years old (He hasn't shot for quite a while and is only starting again cause i am). So i already have some lower calibers to shoot.

I totally agree that this is an expensive rifle and i'm not gonna pretend that i'm rich cause i'm not but it seams like such a good deal and i've been told a few times that its worth investing in 2nd hand good rifles that you could not afford otherwise.

the site its on is here http://usedguns.com.au/used_rifles_7mm.html just scroll down to the 300 win mag section. Thanks guys

1. If you buy this rifle you will have to buy another or you will develope terrible habits b/c the cartridge is just too much recoil to learn on.
2. It is only a good deal if you can use it. THink of some of the more utilitarian guns you could buy for that price. For 4,000 US dollars I could buy very nice savage rifles in 3-4 important and useful calibers, great aftermarket stocks, and great optics/peep sights. If you prefer, an AR with a half dozen uppers. That is one situation where I would love an AR, a full house of uppers.

Last edited:

Go Kiwi

Positives - its a hot bit of kit, you wont lose money if you sell it, nice and accurate, its a good price, looks Tacti-cool

Negatives - just TRY and sell it... Heavy, Practically useless for hunting etc, costs the same as a car (might or might not be a problem), Tacticool rifles are usually a giant pain in the ass.

You are paying for that last few fractions of a MOA accuracy and Its those last few fractions that cost all the money - the Sendero just above it will most likely go 0.5 MOA in the right hands (my friends Sendero goes 0.2) - the TRG "might" go 0.2. It just depends on 1. whether you care 2. whether you can afford to care

The NF scopes are incredible and you can spot your hits to silly distances. Its a mint scope, but again it weighs a tonne and is highly limited in usefulness outside LR shooting. 12x minimum mag is a PITA when trying to find, well anything except a stationary target really.

If I could justify the price I would jump all over that rifle, but I cant so I wont. My Steyr Scout with a Bushnell Elite :)barf:) shoots 0.19 MOA on a good day and I can hit an 800m gong easily enough to be boring - good enough at 1/2 the price and it carries easily and weighs almost nothing. What are your priorities? - what about getting a nice car and finding some hot young thing for the passenger seat:cool:

ken22250

if its barley used, yes, IE- i got a 2 year old ruger M77MKII stainless steel, with a laminate stock, it had less than 3 boxes of shells fired threw it, it also wore a leupold Vari-X-III 6.5-20x40mm scope, a Bob Allen soft case, a sling, and 3 boxes of winchester supreme shells, i priced this package after i bought it, it comes out at arround $1500, i paid $700 from a guy i work and shoot with. so if you get a bargin, its worth it, if not, and you like the gun, buy it anyway.
ken

hoytinak

Is it worth spending ALOT on a barely used gun IF it's a really good deal?

If it's exactly what you want and would make you happy. I've knowingly paid too much for stuff just cause it was exactly what I wanted and I could have it right then instead of ordering it and waiting.

N00b_Shooter

Thanks for all the replies, use are probably right. I might give this one a miss and hope a deal like this comes up in the near future.

I wasn't gonna originally spend that much anyway, but still i would like something that has a bit of a tactical feel, as i said our newest rifle is about 22 years old (which is older then me, i'm 21) and i really would like something that looks and feels like a much more modern rifle.

i know you shouldn't buy a rifle just for that reason but it would also be MY rifle and not my dads and i want it to be very different in both look and caliber. i really do like his Rem 700 BDL in .243 though.

texfar

To be honest, I don't need a reason to buy a gun. Often I will just see a deal I can't refuse then figure out what to do with it or wait a while and make a bit more on it and put that back into my gun fund. Up to you. I buy for myself and not what others think about it. I am the one living with it. If you want something different go for it. Personal choices are great to be able to have. Just my thoughts.:D

Tim R

I learned to shoot center fire with a Winny Feather Weight in '06. If you think it don't kick, you are mistaken. (like a wizzed off mule) I had to learn trigger control and follow through to keep things on paper. To this day I still don't like shooting it more than a few rounds at a time. But it does kill deer.

I have been asked by a few others with a 300 WM to sight in their rifles for them as they could not stand the recoil. The 300's never kicked harder than the Winny IMHO. I also have a pre 64 in 300 H&H.

If you want the 300WM, and can afford to spend that kind of $, I don't, I think you could learn to shoot it well. It is a great 1000 yard caliber to boot.

Telgriff

Wow. Sounds like a good deal, especially with the scope, but that recoil would get rough with frequent use, ammo at $60 a box is pretty pricey as well. I'd look at it in a financial aspect, I'd rather forkout for a Sako 85 or a custom setup Remington that will probably end up being cheaper and customized to you.

N00b_Shooter

once again, thx for the feedback. Texfar and Tim R are startin to make me consider it again, they are valid points.

Your also right Telgriff, frequent use might get a little uncomfortable and $60 a box is pretty steap, we still have an old bullet press but would need the dies, how much would it cost to make 20 rounds?

Also dad said he would take it hunting roos, weight doesn't matter cause they shoot from a ute roof.

I dont know what to do and its frustrating me. I might just get a rem 700 VSF and shoot with that for a year or so, i got an old Leupold x10 fixed scope i could through on that.

kymasabe

For that kind of money there are so many other guns you could buy. Heck, Barrett would be at th e top of my wish list as well as alot of other less expensive rifles, highly accurate, long distance rifles.