Is it the gun, or me?

eviltravis

I went shooting yesterday. I took the Glocks out, a model 27, 22, and a 26. I left the 17 at home. So I am shooting the 22 and I'm shooting a 6" to 8" group at 20 yards. I can shoot tighter groups with the little guns! With my model 17 a 2" or 3" group is something I have come to expect at that distance. The 17 has essentialy the same size as the 22. So why do I shoot like crap with the 40. cal 22? I'm no marksman by any means, but I would like to do better than that with this gun. I can't really blame the difference in cartrage size either because I do ok with the 27 which is also a 40. Anyone have some suggestions?

Redlg155

I suspect it is the ammo/gun combination. I would definitely try another brand of ammo.

But then .40's aren't well known for super accuracy either.

Good Shooting
RED

3 gun

Could be a lot of reasons. Trigger pull weights the same on each pistol? Have you tried different ammo? Sights the same, 3 dot, outlined or night? Using the same style and color targets? Are all the same frame style? Using the same stance, bags, or position with each? Little things can and do make a big difference. And really a 2-3" groups at 20 yards with a stock pistol is very good shooting. 6" groups with a NYPD trigger and poor ammo would be great shooting at 20 yards.

P

PreserveFreedom

According to Glock, the sub-compacts shoot better groups than their full sized counterparts in the right hands. Somewhere I have an issue of AutoPistols that has results backing it.

dawg23

Travis:

I suggest getting someone else (maybe the rangemaster) to shoot the G-22. Odds are, it's you, and not the gun. The .40 will shoot virtually the same groups as the G-17 at the distances you are talking about.

Don't give up on the G-22 until you can verify the source of the problem. If it truly turns out to be the pistol, send it back to Glock and they will make it right at no cost to you.

Dawg23

OJ

I dunno but I shoot my G27 and G29 better than I shoot the G23 or the G20. Glad to find it's not just me.:rolleyes:

Jagster

SAND BAGS!!

Just get some sand bags or a pistol rest and fire 3 round groups. It will help you take some of the human factor out of it!

I would get several ammo types and do it also. I have had several guns that just hated certain ammo!

I even had some that would shoot ok for the first few rounds and then start having fliers.

I try to ammo test any gun that needs to be accurate with every shot.

I still can't believe the difference some ammo makes. It isn't just the cheap stuff either so spending a bunch doesn't mean it will be accurate.

OJ,
The G20 may just be the grip! I have a friend who has several Glocks and he tried my G20c and shot like crap! I was shooting it fine and shoot it better than most of his guns. Go figure!!

Another thing that some people bring up is the break weight versus the pull weight of the trigger.

Some guns give more feedback in the trigger and take the surprise out of the trigger break. I guess you just can feel the point where it breaks and are more likely to pull the shot. Sometimes only the owner will feel it because they are used to the gun and a different shooter will shoot it great. Some polishing might help smooth it out.

I think the sand bags will help to show if it is the gun or you. The rangemaster shooting it also would work. We don't have them around here though. Most ranges are just private clubs that are watched by the members around here, so I had to use sand bags to work out the buggs! Good Luck!!

eviltravis

Thanks for the input guys. I got out to shoot again yesterday with the g22. I think it was me. I did switch ammo though. I went with the cheap wolf ammo this time. I was able to tighten up the groups a little bit, but it's still not as accurate as my g17. I think I need more practice with the gun. The trigger is the same 5.5 pounder that all my glocks came with, and the sites are the plastic 3-dots that came on the gun.(I'd like to get the night sites some day.) My targets, I'm embarised to say, are cardboard boxes of various sizes and shapes. Some with orange stick on targets, and some just with circles drawn in black marker. I did notice that the orange targets seem to produce better results. At 20 yards I shot a decent group, but I had to work a lot harder for it than I would with the 9mm. Further than 20 yards things still fall apart pretty bad.

As for getting the rangmaster to shoot the gun... I'm in montana. the only range I've ever seen around here was a skeet shooting club. Nothing for handguns. My wifes folks have 1000 acres about 30 miles from town, and that's where I shoot. So I guess you could say in my situation I am the range master. LOL It must be nice to have a range to rent guns and try them out before you buy them. I've seen referece to them on this forum, but I've never been to one. A lot of people I know have guns, but most are just hunters. You city folk have all the luck:D