Is it so wrong to buy

logansdad

I get so tired of the "save until you can buy a Kimber/Colt/SA/Seecamp/Korth...." crap I see on the boards. While I own several guns which were by no means "value-priced", I really enjoy buying reasonably priced weapons and trying them out. For the most part, I have not been disappointed.

A prime example is my Charles Daly FS .45ACP. I plan to pick up a couple of other "cheap" guns in the next few months: a Makarov (probably Bulgarian) and an FEG 'Hi-Power' specifically. I can probably pick up BOTH of these guns for about $400 TOTAL.

Some of us don't want (or aren't able) to spend $750-$1000 on a new gun. Yes, I would love to own a Baer Thunder Ranch special or a Gunsite Service Pistol, but I can't afford those guns.

So convince me. Why should I wait a year to save that much money for a single gun when I can take a much smaller chunk - more often - and purchase several guns?

E. BeauBeaux

It's your money and your decision. So why ask for suggestions? You mention in your post the Baer Thunder Ranch Special [it's the best deal on the market for a 45] but that dosen't mean you should buy one.

ronin308

My theory is that one great firearm that works for you personally is much better than buying in quantity. I would rather spend the max my budget will allow on the "perfect" handgun for me. If it is a Makarov, fine then get that. If its a Gunsite GSP then save your $$$ until you can buy one. It sounds like you have a couple of weapons that can be employed while you're saving for the one you really want. I'd save for it and I don't think you will be disappointed.

Dan

Tropical Z

I agree with you logansdad.Thats why i have my Hi-Point.So many people are in the mindset that an inexpensive handgun has to be junk (the Helwan i sold comes to mind).I'm glad that some are willing to live on the edge and take a chance! :)

DAVID NANCARROW

The Feds are already telling you how half of your hard earned money is going to be spent, so buy whatever you want with what you have left without worrying about what others think about it. I just bought a 1991A1 unfired from a friend. He turned around and bought a Gold Cup for twice the amount of the 1991A1 cost him. I fitted a bushing to tighten up the groups, made careful handloads, and smoothed out the rough parts on the trigger group very carefully. Went to the range, and my poorest showing was step for step against his GC. I still like the trigger pull on his better than mine, but the bottom line is we both got what we wanted and paid for it, and we're both happy with our choices.

Watch-Six

Is there something wrong with buying cheap guns? Heck no. If you enjoy playing with them, go for it. I am at a point in my life where I don't want or need as many guns as I once piled up. I prefer a few really nice ones to a bunch of plain vanilla ones. Logistics is simplified. I no longer need a whole shelf of various reloading dies, all sorts of ammo, etc. My tastes have changes, but I spent many years trying out anything that would shoot. :) Some inexpensive guns are great values, others are total junk. Have fun experimenting if that is what you want to do.

beemerb

Big diffence between CHEAP guns and JUNK guns.I think maybe the two terms are being used interchangably by many people.
Many CHEAP(inexpensive)guns out there but there as allso many junk guns too.They big thing is to know the difference.

C.R.Sam

I carry and I enjoy shooting. If a gun is functional and inexpensive, great, won't feel so bad when it starts to look a little ratty after 50 or a hunnert thousand rounds.

Function is the key for me.

Sam...everything has to be somewhere, just not where I'm lookin.

Redlg155

Over the years I found out that price and quality often do not go together hand in hand. Most of the time you are paying for the name brand.

Is it nice to have an expensive pistol?..sure. Is it necessary?..nope. My last two purchases have been a Makarov and an Argentinian Hi Power. Both weapons shoot just as well as any of the more expensive guns that I have owned. In fact, the Hi Power is more accurate than any weapon I have ever owned including Sigs, HK's, Smiths, Glocks, and and assortment of other weapons that have come and gone in my life.

I agree with being able to recognize quality weapon is the key to being happy with how you spend your money. At the same time although people often call Jennings, Lorcin, Hi Point and other cheaper weapons "Junk", I'm glad we have them. If a man can afford no other, at least he can those.

That is one big arguement that I have with people who want to ban cheaper weapons. It is wrong to deny a man the right to own a weapon because he is not financially able to purchase one on the "approved" list.

Good Shooting
RED

logansdad

Thanks for the input so far. I personally have several nice guns in my collection that weren't cheap - S&W Mountain Guns being among my favorites. A $600 gun IS expensive to me.

I like my Daly 45. And, as much as I would like to have a Belgian Hi-Power, why should I forego the next best thing that I can afford - an FEG? One day I WILL get that GSP and that AR-10, but right now all my budget will allow is a Mak or a clone.

I see it at the range, too. Some people look down their noses when I tell them my 45 is a Daly, not a Kimber or whatever it is that THEY have. I have an acquaintance who won't even shoot my Daly - won't touch any 45 that's not a Colt. Snobs of any form just rub me the wrong way.

I suppose that part of my problem is that I'm caliber and experience hungry and just a little impatient. I want to try - and own - everything!! Budget becomes the constraint. Nearly every one of my current guns is chambered for a different round - 44Mag, 41Mag, 45Colt, 10mm, 22LR, 45ACP, 9mm, 32ACP, 400CorBon... I WANT a 9x18, a 38Super, a 357Sig, etc. The only way that I can satisfy much of this urge is via inexpensive purchases. Would take way too long to save for that 38Super Colt Commander, but there's a spankin' new 38Super Witness on the shelf for $300. Makarovs are reasonably plentiful in the $125-$150 range. I'm still looking for that 357Sig, though. May have to 'bite the bullet' (pun intended) and get the Glock 32 - $500 is big money to me. And then there's the ammo cost - ay ay ay!!

Guess that I'm venting more than anything else. Not looking for justification of my opinion, just other people's. :)

MatthewM

You are in a different situation in that you specifically want to buy a lot of guns. That is great!

Two reasons for OTHERS to spend a little extra are that:
1) If you are going to only buy one or two pistols, ever, and keep them for many many years, you should spend extra.
2) Many people work their way through 6 or more pistols over the years to eventually get what they are happy with. By asking on boards and my friends, etc I wanted to skip the first 5 pistols and get the final one. That is cheaper in the long run.

* Can't you get something like a ParaOrdnance double stack buy extra barrels and magazines so that you have one pistol that will do 9mm, 357sig, 40, 45? If so, that would let you have a lot of variety.

logansdad

Good idea, Matthew, but...

aren't double stack Para's pretty pricey? Not to mention the magazines. ;) Plus, they have a bit too much girth for me. I got rid of a Glock 20 for that and a couple of other reasons.

My situation - like many other's - IS that I want a lot of different guns, but don't have the finances to support such a habit. So, I buy 'cheap' guns when I can.

I just grow weary of people who think that Glocks or Sigs or HK's or whatever are the only guns in the world and anyone who spends their money on anything else - especially a 'cheap' gun - is uninformed.

sb7979

The good thing about cheap guns is that if they break, or run out of ammo, you could always throw it at what you're trying to hit. I wouldn't do that with my Gold Cup.

Depending on what you want to do with them, please consider the total cost of ownership when you purchase anything. If you want holsters, spare magazines, gunsmithing, etc., these might be cheaper for more popular models than more obscure or less popular guns.

P

PreserveFreedom

Agreed! That's exactly why I can't bring myself to part with my FireStorm. A dual tone 45ACP that accepts any cheap 1911 mag and has never given me a problem for $300 new? Heck yeah!

Arub

I like the "it's your money, do as you wish" approach. I don't buy for bragging rights, keep in moderately priced guns such as Smith, Ruger and Taurus. So far I haven't been disappointed. The Mak's not a bad buy either.

J. Parker

I'm with you logansdad. Before I retired I always seemed to have limited funds and now that I'm retired I'm on a fixed income. VALUE is very important to me. Some of my favorite handguns that are an excellent value are the Ruger line of pistols especially the P-95, the Witness 10mm, the Makarov's, Taurus revolvers, used S&W's revolvers (just got a mod 19 for $225), and used 30-30's (just got a nice one for $175). Last year after a handsome tax return I bought a Sig P-220 for $650. Very nice pistol but I'll never spend that kind of money again but that's just me. Best Regards, J. Parker

Scott Conklin

I've got some nice stuff. I've also got 3 Llamas hiding in the cabinet. One of which, a hi-cap, I actually carry around some. Hell, I want em all! :)

scoops

i do draw the (lower) limit at hi point,jennings ,raven ,lorcin.i will not buy these POS.
MAKAROVES ARE THE DEAL OF THE CENTURY.

Bullshooter

My $.02 Worth

:cool: I own quite a few handguns, revolvers and semi-autos, and by a variety of manufacturers, in various calibers. I shoot a lot (that's why I reload). I have expensive handguns and I have inexpensive (not cheap!) handguns. I buy them at what I consider to be a reasonable price, shoot them and, if I don't like them I sell or trade them. If I like them they gain a place in the safe.

I try hard not to be a "brand name bigot" and I own a Charles Daly that I really enjoy shooting. Yep, it's got a few bugs to get worked out, but that's a challenge I enjoy. Also own a Rossi model 88 2.5" barrel revolver that's got a quirk to two.

I like (just about) all handguns, each has their own features that increases their appeal as well as their own bugs.

If anyone has a Charles Daly that they just want to get rid of, I'll give it a good home.

Good shooting!