Is it Semi-Auto or Bolt ? Have You Ever Seen One?

Mr.RevolverGuy

Vintage Walther Model 2 Rifle.

Unique in that it functions as a bolt action and semi-auto

Length of barrel 24.5in blade frontsight insert with detachable protector tangent rear sight with windage and elevation, wanut stock with nice checkered pistol grip. Smooth trigger pull all metal parts, weight about 7lbs.

I love finding and shooting these vintage rifles.
https://youtu.be/BJNQcLcSzME

So be honest how many of you have seen or heard of these?

Mr.RevolverGuy

Sad and both interesting.

There is very little to no documentation, most of the Walther factory documentation was either destroyed or hauled off by the Russians after the US Army captured the factory and made off with a good deal of the production. There is no record of Walther factory material in US archives. So most information comes from circumstantial info.

I chatted with someone who stated he had a conversation with a Portuguese researcher who advised him of a cache of Walther Mod 2 rifles in the early 41000 range purchased by a shooting club in Portugal in the early 1930s. That would include this rifle by serial number.

TRX

> Unique in that it functions as a bolt action and semi-auto

Like a Garand? Or an AR-15? Or my .44 Auto Mag?

44 AMP

Staff
> Unique in that it functions as a bolt action and semi-auto

Like a Garand? Or an AR-15? Or my .44 Auto Mag?

The OP is referring to the method of operating the action., not how it locks shut.

You can turn a Garand or an AR into a straight pull bolt action, by disabling the gas system. There's no way to do that with a .44 Auto Mag, it's recoil operated.

The Walther has a selector switch, lets you switch back and forth between semi auto and manual (bolt) action. That makes it pretty unique, especially for its era, but its not the only rifle ever to do that. I think there was a Weatherby .22 that did that, but don't remember clearly now. Will have to do some looking...

I know that the M14 / M1A rifles allow you to turn the gas system on and off by turning a screw.