Is it reasonable to CC a S&W mod 10 4" revolver?

Does anyone have a workable way to carry a 4" S&M as a concealed weapon? If so just how do you do it,and what type holster would be needed to use? I really enjoy the abilities of the mod. 10 and would like to make it my carry gun.:confused: but still hoping to find a way!

DetSpec

My first ever CC gun was a Model 10 4" hb. Carried it for one winter only in an upside down shoulder rig. When Spring came, I bought a Detective Special and never looked back.

armoredman

Done it. A good IWB rig might do it, and a good belt on top of that - czech out highnoonholsters.com I haven't used an IWB for a 4 inch revolver, though - find one with a GOOD sweat shield, like the High Noon Down Under.

I've carried this setup under a jacket with no issues, off side is a dump pouch with 6 in a speed strip,

PICT0185.jpg

Also under a light jacket this works,

mastersholster.jpg

Masters Leather belt rig, good holster. The shoulder holster I have no idea who made it, need to replace the snap as it is failing.

In the heat of AZ weather today, I'm not sure I would want to try to CCW that wheelgun, would have to replace the grips with thin ones with a Tyler adapter, and that beautiful blue would rust. Might have to go open carry for that, and get a retention rig.

10-96

Just to add a comment to Armoredman's bottom photo- if you truck on down to Academy, Scheels, Gander Mtn, or some such store in your area, you can find really thin and comfortable fishing shirts. I buy a size or two larger than what I normally wear, leave the tails out and I think it looks just fine. It gets hot here too, and I never have a problem. You'll think it sticks out like a sore thumb- but it'll be fine. I used to carry full sized firearms all the time til I settled on a Sig 239.

Whirlwind06

I carry mine using a IWB holster. Just be willing to dress around it. And get a good belt. Same advice I would give if you were asking about carrying any full sized handgun auto or revolver.

jrothWA

Been there, done that!

4" SSsix in a Bianchi #6L and S&W 15 the same.
[Blubber molds nicely around it.]

When hiking or backpacking, used a Bianchi Medium X15, for both.

dogngun

I have done it many times. No reason at all why not. Very accurate, reliable and easy to shoot well.

I carry something else, but I have my late wife's 4" Model 15 as a night gun.

mark

DFrame

Any good quality "Pancake" style holster should work well. You'll need to wear some sort of loose shirt to cover it but otherwise it will work great.
Of course a Detective Special would be better :D

Viper225

My carry revolvers are J, K L and N Frame size handguns with barrels from 2" thru 4". I carry my 4" 64 some, same size as your Model 10. I carry it in a Lobo Enhanced Pancake at 4 O'Clock, like everything else.
With a barrel over 2-1/2" at 4 O'Clock you cannot access your Billfold in your right rear pocket. I move my billfold to a different pocket. In slacks that is normally my Left front pocket.
For shirts I have a big selection of Flowerdy Shirts, Fishing Shirts, Woolrich Discrete Carry Shirts, and others that are sized correctly for concealed carry.
I have 7 or 8 fishing shirts. I have been wearing them almost daily during the week over a white Tee shirt the last month.

Once you get the shirts worked out, work on the Model 10 grips. I would do some looking for a set of wood grips that are nice and round on the butt end, if you do not have a good set on the gun now. The shirts slide around wood grips without sticking.

You can carry the 4" K Frame without any serious issues. You might keep an eye out for a 3" Round Butt 64 or 65. They are still a very Shootable Platform, only easier to conceal. I carry my 2-1/2" 66 all the time.

The good point about a K Frame is the ability to get rounds on target with one. They are a very User Friendly handgun, and they are very Shootable.
A J Frame is easier to conceal, but also much harder to hit with.

Bob

GM2

I sometimes carry a Model 64 the SS version of a 10 in winter with a coat for cover, however, it can get heavy. I mainly carry a Model 36

Tennessee Jed

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a finer CCW handgun. I usually carry either an S&W N-frame or Ruger GP100, both with 4 inch barrels, IWB. Holsters are from Simply Rugged and Lobo Gunleather. You must have a good, solid belt (I like Simply Rugged's "Real Man" belt).

If it has a round butt, a Hogue Bantam grip will minimize printing. If it has a square butt (my N-frame does), I like Craig Spegel's boot grip.

I always carry IWB, and I found that a slightly longer barrel (like your 4-inch) actually helps keep the grip up against my side better than a shorter barrel.

And, heaven forbid you ever need to draw it, but if you do, I can't think of a finer handgun to get effective hits on target quickly than an S&W model 10.

G.T. Smith

Yes it is very reasonable!

I kinda lucked in to this Alessi belt slide and it works great with a polo or Hawaiian style shirt. I have even used it with X large T-shirts. I love my 65-4 4":p
Peace,
gordon

Attachments

• K frame 65 concealment.JPG
    K frame 65 concealment.JPG
    202.7 KB · Views: 53

Deaf Smith

No reason a S&W M10, pencil barrel, .38 can't use a IWB that is made of thin leather. Should work fine. And there are many K frame concealment holsters that work well under coats.

Deaf

NoirFan

It can be done but it's not ideal. I sometimes carry a 4" k-frame in a Galco high-rise pancake holster at the 4:00 position. The part that seems to stick out the most is the angle of the gun where the rear sight is located. I can't get that to disappear with any shirt but a jacket does an good job of covering it up. A good stiff belt is a necessity if you are gonna carry a steel revolver.