Is it possible?

p99guy

5.56 suppressors are built out of heavier materials to withstand the higher pressures involved, and of those,not all of them are rated for the riguers of full auto fire. So while they work well on a .22LR- they are very heavy compared to a .22LR model. If you put a good .22LR suppressor on a .223 Remington, you would blow it apart and send baffles flying down range in a small number of shots...as they just arent made for it.

That being said I have an older model full auto rated AWC Optima 5.56 suppressor that can be fully taken down for cleaning, that I use on both my AR15 and a Ruger 10/22, and enjoy doing so. The Tactical Solutions barrel for the 10/22 is so lite that you dont really notice the heavier 5.56 suppressor being a bother.
and you can fire 10 shots of CCI standard velocity into a group that can be covered with a quarter at 50 yds....no complaints there lol

5.56 Optima on my 10/22
airshow2007073ta6.jpg

Last edited:

aroundlsu

The easiest method is to get a 5.56mm suppressor and attach it to your AR-15. Then get a .22LR conversion kit, install it in your AR, and have fun. I routinely go back and forth from 5.56mm and .22LR in my AR plus M4-2000 suppressor with no problems and no "lead build up" like so many people claim. Trust me, after a mag or two of 5.56mm any lead build up in your silencer is going to be vaporized. My silencer gets so hot when shooting 5.56mm I can see heat mirages through my optic.

jmorris

Then get a .22LR conversion kit, install it in your AR, and have fun.

Now you have a suppressor and a gas system that will fill up with fouling (depending on what 22 conversion you use).

aroundlsu

I'm using a POF piston upper and haven't seen any ill effects after more than a thousand rounds of .22LR. The gun will interchange back and forth from 5.56mm to .22LR with no malfunctions in 5.56mm.

1. A mag dump of .223 will clean the baffles of .22LR build up very quickly.

2. A vinegar and hydrogen peroxide dip will dissolve the lead built up in the silencer.

3. My ultrasonic cleaner also works to keep the inside of the suppressor clean.

4. Absolute worse case, AAC will clean the suppressor for me.

Sorry guys, I just don't buy these daily statements that shooting .22LR through my silencer is more harmful than .223. I actually do it and love it. It's highly recommended.