Is it possible to convert a regulat Rem700 into a "DM"?

thaddeus

Is the option there to ever convert a regular older style Rem700 PSS to accept a detachable mag? In other words, make it a "DM" model, if it didn't start as one?

Is there any advantage to the non-DM style?

thanks,
thad

James K

Member In Memoriam
I've never tried this, but it should not be too difficult, just pretty expensive, and might require a new stock. It might be cheaper to trade for the DM model.

RCH

thad,

you may want to check H&S Precision or Robar for a aftermarket stock. Or just check and see if the gun shop can order you a factory DM stock!

Depending on what you need the rifle for you may or may not need a DM.... Hunting? If you didn't tag it on the 1st or 2nd shot, it's long gone by now. Target shooting? Nope. Stopping the horde of weasels that are attacking your house- Why not use a semi-auto like a AR15?

Keep in mind that the Remington 700 PSS is designed for long range, percision shooting. DM is a convenience, not a necessity. Remember: one shot- one kill. Spray and Pray is for the AK47s!!

Paul B.

Thad. There was an outfit that sold an aftermarket kit to convert Rem. 700s to detachable magazines. Apparently it sold well enough, that Rem. brought the DM out in a factory version. Frankly, I see no real purpose for a DM, other than the convenience of quick unloading, or having a spare mag with a different bullet weight. The one big drawback is, what if you lose the mag? You got a one-shooter. My vote is, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Paul B.

COMPROMISE IS NOT AN OPTION!

I believe there was some difference in the machining of the receiver. If so, this would prevent buying DM parts and modifying an existing rifle. As mentioned by another above, it may be better just to trade your rifle in for a DM model.

Mike Baugh

Thaddeus , I have a model 700 BDL-DM Stainless .308 . I do not care for the DM , I have already replaced the trigger guard assembly [which holds the DM], it broke where the mag locks in , the trigger guard assembly on my model is cast aluminum as I assume the one is on the new PSS . The people I know that play with the PSS rifles hold the non-DM versions in higher reguard. I also have trouble with my mag retaining rounds , sometimes the mag will empty itself when I work the bolt . I have thought about buying a lightweight "mountain stock" for mine and making it an ADL version . Good luck , Mike...