Is it possible 430 dollar permit?

redlightrich

Yesterday, as I was looking at a gun dealer's website in Long Island, there was an area which discussed how to obtain a pistol permit in NY. I don't live there, but read anyway. It appears that a rifle is fairly easy. Drivers license, and NICS and away you go. They do say it may take 4 days though even though it could happen immediatly.

Pistol in the 5 boroughs ( NYC, Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island for those not local) was 340 dollars for the permit application and 99 dollars for fingerprints. I am not sure if you need prints each time, but still. I read it multiple times in disbelief.
340 dollars for a pistol permit seems very restrictive. It becomes clear that they do not want to issue any.

I find this alarming. I thought my home state of NJ was bad ( and it is) but it sure is better than that.

I almost think that it should be illegal to charge such a unrealistically high price. The permit fee and fingerprint fee combined can eclipse the cost of the actual pistol.

Any NYC members here? Is the information on this site correct? 340 dollars?

Gosh, it seems harsh and restrictive, and I am surprised that it has not been challenged in court?

Any input on this? If I am wrong, I apologize for any misinformation. As I said, I read this on a Long Island gun dealers site.

Rich

The_Jerkman

That is likely for a premise permit. You have a better chance of getting struck by lighting and eaten by a shark and winning the lotto all within 15 minutes than getting a full carry NYC permit

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

drunder40

When SCOTUS ruled that the 2A is subject to "Reasonable" regulation they unfortunately did not indicate any specifics as to what was reasonable.

As a result, we have 2A infringing states like CA, MA, NJ, NY, IL MD etc.. and any other state that knows they can't deny a carry permit but can make it very painful to get one.

And yes I know in some states you have to give "Good Cause" (Self Defense) as the reason for the application and if they disagree with your "good cause" they deny the permit.. yes that actually is allowed to happen.

May issue states are in direct violation of the 2A but yet it is allowed to happen..

I think god I am a resident/citizen residing in the United States of America.

Last edited:

44 AMP

Staff
340 dollars for the permit application and 99 dollars for fingerprints. I am not sure if you need prints each time, but still. I read it multiple times in disbelief.

You need to check a little deeper and find out if that $99 fingerprint fee is for all the prints needed, or if it is "per set". I got a NY STATE (not City) pistol permit in the mid 1970s and at that time, 5 (five) sets of fingerprints were required. Along with 4 photographs and 3 "character references". Cost was $20 ( think, I can no longer remember exactly), and the cost of fingerprints was included in the fee. The photographs we had to obtain and pay for separately (passport size photos) I can't see the even more restrictive NYC not requiring at least the same amount of prints, etc, and can easily see them charging a separate fee for prints. Nowdays, everyone seems to do that, not just NY.

And yes I know in some states you have to give "Good Cause" (Self Defense) as the reason for the application and if they disagree with your "good cause" they deny the permit.. yes that actually is allowed to happen.

It is "allowed to happen, because it is in compliance with existing law. When I got my NY permit, finally approval was up to a judge. They could approve or deny for any reason they deemed fit. The law gave them that authority.

At that time, in Saratoga County, the judge would approve pistol permits for "hunting and sporting purposes", only. If you put "self defense" as the reason for applying for the permit, he would deny it.

In Albany county, just south of Saratoga co, (and also the state Capitol) the judge would deny all applications that did NOT say "self defense".

May issue states are in direct violation of the 2A but yet it is allowed to happen..

Again, it is "allowed" to happen, because it is in compliance with the law. You and I may believe this violated the 2nd Amendment (that pesky "shall not be infringed" wording), BUT it does NOT violate the 2nd Amendment & existing law, UNTIL a court rules that it does.

Even the most horribly obviously unconstitutional law, once it becomes law, IS CONTSTUTIONAL, until a court with jurisdiction rules otherwise.

States like NY do what they do with firearms laws, because they can. It's a numbers game, and the overwhelming number of voters in those states don't care enough about the issue to force their elected government to change.

redlightrich

Hello all, this was for a purchase permit. Simply to own it. This was not for a carry permit. Yes indeed, getting a carry permit in NY will most likely not happen, however the price mentioned was for a permit to buy a pistol and lock it away in the home.

I still think this is shocking

Rich

langenc

It is "allowed to happen, because it is in compliance with existing law. When I got my NY permit, finally approval was up to a judge. They could approve or deny for any reason they deemed fit. The law gave them that authority

Copied from #7 44 AMP

And when denied I bet you can kiss your $500 bucks or so "bye, Bye."

langenc

It is "allowed to happen, because it is in compliance with existing law. When I got my NY permit, finally approval was up to a judge. They could approve or deny for any reason they deemed fit. The law gave them that authority

Copied from #7 44 AMP

And when denied I bet you can kiss your $500 bucks or so "bye, Bye."

Another reason they have those laws is Chuckie wants em, and we all know he is so good.

rickyrick

I'm fine with other state's laws on the premise that I am a law abiding citizen and I'll
Follow most laws that are not discriminatory or unjust.

However I disagree with most gun restrictions I'll follow the rules.

What's starting to perturb me is situations like needing a passport to travel in CONUS, even though you have a valid state ID,, or potentially doing some serious time for something that is innocently legal in most other states like guns and other things.

Not saying that I'm happy when people in my area vote for more gun laws and etcetera, but I'll go along with it.

Hal

Another reason they have those laws is Chuckie wants em, and we all know he is so good.
Sort of close - - but - - the law goes back to 1911 and is known as the Sullivan Act.
"Big Tim" Sullivan - the Boss of the Bowery - pushed the law through to help protect his side of the political power base by disarming his opponents (and their body guards).

What's starting to perturb me is situations like needing a passport to travel in CONUS, even though you have a valid state ID
For real? First I've heard of that.....

I know it's very off topic - but - could you steer me towards some kind of link?

rickyrick

Hasn't started yet, but live in one of the states affected and they still haven't come up with a solution really.

From the TSA Real ID FAQ page:
Starting January 22, 2018, passengers who have driver’s licenses issued by a state that is not yet compliant with REAL ID and that has not received an extension will need to show an alternative form of acceptable identification for domestic air travel.

For example in WA you can pay an additional 89$ to get a compliant Drivers License.

Here's one of many articles discussing the issue
http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/politics-government/article96282072.html

So basically next year if the state hasn't come up with a solution you can by a gun with the standard ID but not fly, or you can pony up some extra cash to give to your community for an enhanced DL or s passport.

My point really was that even if I have a beef with a gun law, I will still follow. The Travel thing was mostly a late nite single-phrase rant. I live in a state with diminishing gun rights, it gets frustrating so I can only imagine what it's like to live in NY.

WyMark

I live in Wyoming, so I don't know what you people are talking about.

ALTHOUGH

As a state government employee, I am denied my second amendment rights by executive order of the governor.

This is from our current governor Matt Mead's State of the State address a couple years ago:

On January 5th this year, I wrote to President Obama questioning executive actions regarding gun control that were bypassing Congress. I said, "The right to bear arms is a fundamental Constitutional right, and any action that arguably affects the right must include the Congress as elected representatives of the people of the United States... Executive action is no way to go about it."

And yet, here is an executive order, signed in 2001 by a previous governor, denying my rights:
http://www-wsl.state.wy.us/sis/wydocs/execorders/WS-GOV-EO-2001-01.pdf

No deadly weapon may be carried on or in any state premises. Any individual carrying a deadly weapon may be removed from or denied access to the state premises and may be subject to disciplinary action, criminal penalty or both. As used in this policy, deadly weapon means as defined by Wyo. Stat. § 6-1-104(a)(iv) and includes but is not limited to the following items: firearm, explosive or knife with a fixed or locked blade longer than five (5) inches.

Hypocritical much?

C'mon Matt, you can do better. At least make an exception for CCW permit holders.

Screwball

Hasn't started yet, but live in one of the states affected and they still haven't come up with a solution really.

A Passport can be used to fly within the US, being it is a valid form of ID. I know people that do it, even some that went with me to Puerto Rico last week. I personally don't like pulling the Passport out of the safe unless I need it for something, but people do.

The issue with the licenses, I don't see anything other than the specific states not stepping up. I remember NJ's old licenses... where it was printed just like the current registrations (minus a barcode)... then the picture. The security behind the newer NJ license, and while I hate the six points of ID when I must renew my license, is more secure. And not for nothing... the REAL ID Act was enacted in 2005. 12 years isn't enough to get in compliance?

And in regards to paying more for an enhanced ID... what a crock of crap! The only time the price for my license changed was when I took the boat endorsement off (because I lost the card they needed for it, and I told them I'm not arguing over it... went from $42 to $24). If they just said the next license must be the enhanced, probably would be almost all changed over by now... and would likely be at a minimum in regards to costs, since they aren't running two difference protocols for licenses.

RickB

I think I paid $400 for a carry permit in Massachusetts, 30 years ago.
That included MA drivers license, gun purchase license, various fees for background check, qualification day at the range, etc.
My favorite part, was the requirement that I already be a member of a gun club, so the annual dues of the club could be added to that. The permit was valid only on a straight line from my home or business and that club.

ATN082268

44 AMP said:
States like NY do what they do with firearms laws, because they can. It's a numbers game, and the overwhelming number of voters in those states don't care enough about the issue to force their elected government to change.

The system is set up to where owning and using a gun in urban areas is inconvenient and expensive, so I suspect relatively few do. A lot of the voters are concentrated in urban areas like New York City and carry a lot of weight regarding voting for politicians, referendums, etc. that impact the rest of the state. It seems difficult for most city dwellers to enjoy using firearms, so it wouldn't seem high on their priority list voting for politicians, referendums, etc. It is kind of a vicious cycle.

TXAZ

Sorry to hear that WyMark.
At the Texas Capitol, everyone goes thru metal detectors and bag X-ray, ....except CHL / LTC holders walk right around on showing their license.

ATN082268

Screwball said:
Passport can be used to fly within the US, being it is a valid form of ID. I know people that do it, even some that went with me to Puerto Rico last week. I personally don't like pulling the Passport out of the safe unless I need it for something, but people do.

The issue with the licenses, I don't see anything other than the specific states not stepping up. I remember NJ's old licenses... where it was printed just like the current registrations (minus a barcode)... then the picture. The security behind the newer NJ license, and while I hate the six points of ID when I must renew my license, is more secure. And not for nothing... the REAL ID Act was enacted in 2005. 12 years isn't enough to get in compliance?

And in regards to paying more for an enhanced ID... what a crock of crap! The only time the price for my license changed was when I took the boat endorsement off (because I lost the card they needed for it, and I told them I'm not arguing over it... went from $42 to $24). If they just said the next license must be the enhanced, probably would be almost all changed over by now... and would likely be at a minimum in regards to costs, since they aren't running two difference protocols for licenses.

A driver's license is supposed to be a license to drive, not a form of identification...